Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Another cheese debate

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I can imagine most songs being sung by them, injecting an element of fun and in tuneful harmony
    They're very talented siblings !!

Would you say the same about the Carpenters ?
    The Carpenters weren't as sickeningly twee
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

The term 'cheese' in relation to tracks that fill the dancefloor, is in my opinion an 'in-house' term.

We all know what works and what does not. As a party DJ, I play what I know will get people dancing, including all the participation tunes.

I did a gig recently - a 21st - and was given instructions what to play. Modern house tunes with some chart stuff. Dancefloor was dead, but plenty feet tapping and nodding heads around the tables.

After buffet, stuck on Status Quo and Rockin' All Over The World and we were off. 2 remaining hours the floor was jampacked with so-called cool kids doing the Birdie Song, Agadoo and I even taught them how to dance the Americano!

Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by Boghead Ben View Post
    The term 'cheese' in relation to tracks that fill the dancefloor, is in my opinion an 'in-house' term.

We all know what works and what does not. As a party DJ, I play what I know will get people dancing, including all the participation tunes.

I did a gig recently - a 21st - and was given instructions what to play. Modern house tunes with some chart stuff. Dancefloor was dead, but plenty feet tapping and nodding heads around the tables.

After buffet, stuck on Status Quo and Rockin' All Over The World and we were off. 2 remaining hours the floor was jampacked with so-called cool kids doing the Birdie Song, Agadoo and I even taught them how to dance the Americano!

Good times!
    I probably wouldn't play the Birdie song or Agadoo unless it was requested in advance by the client.

Apart from that, you and I seem to be singing from the same song sheet.

The Jam, Cheese never !!!
    It's a singalong (sub-category of cheese)...

After reading the title i'm quite dissapointed this isn't a thread about Wensleydale and Double Gloucester ;-(

Default Bring out your dead! ( And the cheeseboard too ).

Rather than start a fresh thread, I decided to tag onto an existing one, as it basically fits this.

Before Christmas I covered a wedding at a hotel, with a playlist given. Also, some Do Not Plays.

No Abba, Queen, Football songs, and Cheese were the salient ones forbidden.

While chatting with the venue staff beforehand, they were aghast that Abba were banned, giving the stereotypical view that The Swedes were compulsory at weddings. What really baffled them though was that while Cheese was banned, on the list were Livin' on a Prayer, Sex On Fire, and Mr Brightside, which they declared unanimously to be cheese.

Were they right? What nowadays can safely be declared Cheese? There's another thread where Darren and I seemed to agree that for songs like Don't Stop Believing, Brightside and the rest, a sort of halfway house existed, and could legitimately be called " Anthems". Not Cheese, but played so much that they seemed like it. Certainly classed with The Usual Suspects.

Over to you folks, no definitive answers, just opinions. Fire away.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    No Abba, Queen, Football songs, and Cheese were the salient ones forbidden.

While chatting with the venue staff beforehand, they were aghast that Abba were banned, giving the stereotypical view that The Swedes were compulsory at weddings. What really baffled them though was that while Cheese was banned, on the list were Livin' on a Prayer, Sex On Fire, and Mr Brightside, which they declared unanimously to be cheese.
    "Cheese" is not a binary term.

It's very much a sliding scale - Agadoo and The Birdy song sits at a very different end of the cheese board to Livin' on a Prayer and Sex on Fire.

What I often do is work out where the "cheese line" comes in - once I know what their boundary is, the rest is typically easy.

Oh and Dancing Queen sits in the "more cheese" section than Livin' on a Prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    "Cheese" is not a binary term.

It's very much a sliding scale - Agadoo and The Birdy song sits at a very different end of the cheese board to Livin' on a Prayer and Sex on Fire.

What I often do is work out where the "cheese line" comes in - once I know what their boundary is, the rest is typically easy.

I hear what you say/see what you type. It's actually something other people have remarked on, and I can see the logic. This assumes that you have all your music calibrated on that sliding scale. Birdie song and Agadoo are easy enough, but to use your examples, I wouldn't put Dancing Queen far away from Livin' On A Prayer.

The problem in my opinion is that some of us have a Celsius scale of Cheese, some Fahrenheit, and even some Kelvin.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Dancing Queen is NOT cheese! It's a "classic" and Abba are making a massive comeback at the moment (sorry - I was a fan club member growing up).

To be honest, since we "came back" after the lockdowns though, I'm finding cheese (both the very depths of the barrel I regret to add such as Oops Upside Your Head) and stuff like Brightside is very much on most playlists.

Do you know what, I really don't care so long as it fills my dance floor

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Dancing Queen is NOT cheese! It's a "classic" and Abba are making a massive comeback at the moment (sorry - I was a fan club member growing up).
    That's a very generous description.

I'm starting to see Brightside lumped into the 'songs a client hears more often than most, so will describe it as cheese' category more frequently these days.

I came to the conclusion that the such free use of the word 'cheese' is the fault of a terrible DJ. There's a difference between playing a song because it works, and relying on a song because it works.

And I bet you the latter will account for 99% of the songs a client would call 'cheese'.