Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nowhere to setup !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    So many pearls of wisdom there Toby The wedding I did tonight had 200 guests and setting up wherever i wanted wasn't viable including in front of the band. Your sod the staff attitude just isn't my style.
    Indeed. Often the shortcut to unemployment.

Most times I have worked with a band they have said that they would set up first and leave room for me(which they didn't).

There was a 3 piece band once who spread out over a very large floor and left me no room whatsoever.

However, the exception to this was a gig I did at Oranmor in Glasgow where it was a 6 piece band and I on a small stage.Now that was tight for them but they were very polite and asked if I could move 1 foot back when really they could have done with about 5!

So how was it?

Setup in time? In a flush?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown View Post
    So how was it?

It ended up better than I expected as the band ran late and played up to the buffet, while the buffet was on I asked them to leave thier speakers up with my ipod playing background until I'd setup. I managed to setup in 35 minutes so not to bad. Thanks for all the help guys/gal

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown View Post
    So how was it?

It ended up better than I expected as the band ran late and played up to the buffet, while the buffet was on I asked them to leave thier speakers up with my ipod playing background until I'd setup. I managed to setup in 35 minutes so not to bad. Thanks for all the help guys/gal .
    Um...
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    even worse a lull in the entertainment.
    I think that this is an interesting point.

In the past I always felt that any sort of silence was the most horrible outcome from an audience point of view.

My opinion has changed over the last few years as I have attended an increasing number of gig's, festivals, concerts than I used to.

I now believe that an audience accepts that there will be changeover times and even between DJ sets, something I used to deem as completely unacceptable.

At a recent wedding I played at, the ceilidh band had sizeable breaks in between songs and no - one seemed to care.

So to summarise, I think that we have a wee bit more time than we think we have in these situations but feel pressured by by our own desire to avoid "dead air" and our assumed perception of the audiences expectations rather than their actual expectations.

Anyway, well done Mark, I reckon i'd've been totally stressing out in the same circumstances.
    www.themagicmusicdisco.co.uk

BECAUSE MUSIC MATTERS

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMusic View Post
    I think that this is an interesting point.

In the past I always felt that any sort of silence was the most horrible outcome from an audience point of view.
    My opinion has changed over the last few years as I have attended an increasing number of gig's, festivals, concerts than I used to.
    I still hate dead air with a vengeance, hence why if I can't fill it with music, I'll insert some witty, informative, lucid and entertaining chat.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMusic View Post
    Anyway, well done Mark, I reckon i'd've been totally stressing out in the same circumstances.
    And I might have beeen on a go slow, just to make a point. Strike me pink, he turned eight hours early, and still couldn't set up.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Glad it worked out O.K. in the end for you mate and you used your loaf and used there speakers and Ipod whilst you set up.