Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Request slips

I much rather use the mic and ask for requests that way.
    Requesting over the mic doesn't get nearly as much feedback as request slips do for me.
    I think request slips given out at appropriate times allow people to 'participate' in the evening - as I said before, especially if its not a party night - Friday night in a pub/club where you have a few dozen people and no dancing room for example.
    A few shy older people give them to me and love their songs being played - of course you get the silly comments - but its all good material for a laugh - announce or even play a short bit of their daft request and embarrass them!

I used to be in the "never use request slips" frame of mind. Most of DJ career in fact. That said, since going digital I tried it to see what the effect would be on the way I DJ. I now get more requests, allowing me even more creativity in trying to slot their selections in with my own selections. I even went as far as getting the cards profesionally printed and have had nothing but good comments from clients.

I realise that request cards aren't for everybody, but for the way I DJ and the vision I have for my business, they are a perfect addition.

I agree Shaun - I choose the time to send out request slips, its definitely not something I will do NYE for example.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Sorry for the guys who use slips but I much rather use the mic and ask for requests that way.
    Me too. You can't beat the human touch.

Its also good marketing. all the time they are filling in the slips they are looking at your logo etc.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Its also good marketing. all the time they are filling in the slips they are looking at your logo etc.
    Could work both ways if you don't play/have their request!

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Sorry for the guys who use slips but I much rather use the mic and ask for requests that way.
    no idea why your sorry for us, we all have to use the tools we feel works best for us, just because we have slips out don't mean we don't use the mic as well. personally we find it works better for us, we find we get more request's from older people( a lot of the time a card will come in for some rock and roll or 60's music normally from a small child), not everyone likes to approach us and ask for a song(some people are shy or easily embarrassed )

as i say it works for us but it might not for everyone.

those that do supply slips , do you supply pens as well

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Could work both ways if you don't play/have their request!
    My request slips mention that "whilst every effort will be made to play all requests, we cannot guarantee all requests will be included". I also follow that up on the mic telling people I'll try my best to include as many as possible, where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    My request slips mention that "whilst every effort will be made to play all requests, we cannot guarantee all requests will be included". I also follow that up on the mic telling people I'll try my best to include as many as possible, where possible.
    that is something i think i will add to ours next time we order some

The trouble with actively encouraging requests is that people don't tend to think along the lines of a good, friendly song which everyone can appreciate and dance to... they tend to deliberately think of slightly obscure, lesser known songs, which may well be good songs, but usually they're not the best in a disco situation. It's all very well thinking on it as a challenge to fit them in, but the chances are that you could have played a much better song in it's place.

This applies to any method of encouraging requests of course, but I feel that if you ask for a request over the mic, they then come up to speak to you, which gives you the opportunity to 'negotiate' a mutually beneficial song. You then get to play a song which you feel benefits everyone, and they go away happy enough that they're getting their request played.

With request slips, they tend to just get handed to you, and they walk away, which means you're likely to ignore their request, or take a gamble and play it.