Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much power to fill a room with sound?

Question How much power to fill a room with sound?

Hello

I'm new to this game & would appreciate some pointers into the power requirements of amps & speakers. I'm looking into JBL/Crown combo's but how much wattage will I need for small, medium and large scale events?

I know this is a broad question but I'm looking for a ball park idea on how many speakers & amps I'll need.

Many Thanks

Extremely hard to say, but one thing I will say is that the number of people at the event is a bigger factor than the size of the hall. A packed small hall will need more power than an empty large hall.

I normally use a 300W amp with 500W speakers, and they can comfortably handle to 200/250 people, in a decent sized hall

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

For general disco use, up to around 300 people, a good 1000w RMS PA system will be sufficient.

What sort of budget do you have for the system? Also, how will you transport the equipment?

Regards,

Jamie

P.S. Why not introduce yourself in the 'Newbies' area?

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

I plan on using top quality gear to give me the edge in terms of sound quality. I'm looking at Pioneer CD players, Allen & Heath mixer & Technics turntables fitted with upgraded Origin Live arms (plus the JBL & Crown speaker/amps combo's).

I've not looked into lighting yet. I'm planning on getting started over the next couple of months using the profit from a house sale which is currently going through.

My mode of transport will be a medium sized van which I can also use to get me to my day job.

I have a large collection of CD's & records (working in a record shop feeds my record buying habbit).

How do you feel about using mp3's or wav files from a laptop during a set? I have Ableton Live 5 software. Do customers expect to see a DJ with CD's & vinyl?

Thanks

Do you have a budget in mind for speakers and amplifier?

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONS

How do you feel about using mp3's or wav files from a laptop during a set? I have Ableton Live 5 software. Do customers expect to see a DJ with CD's & vinyl?

Thanks

Digital (laptop) dj'ing is becoming common-place these days. As long as you encode your collection at a high quality bitrate you should be fine....minimum 192 kbps...256kbps would be better though.

Welcome to the community. Feel free to introduce yourself over in the new members section of the forum

Budget for amp/speakers is about £5,500. Is this realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONS
    Budget for amp/speakers is about £5,500. Is this realistic?
    More than enough, I'd say.

P.S. Start a newbies thread to keep everyone happy & we'll all say hello to you. :teeth:
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

I recently moved to Void sound, from EV / Bose / Crown Macrotech and wouldn't look back.

Two of these http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=46 would do a fantastic job, and be well under your budget, leaving plenty to spend on other equipment.

Jamie

leighinstoke

£5000 is a huge budget I feel, especially as I got setup for £1500 and play to venues about the size you say.

Leigh....