Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Anyone else ever used a sort of agent?

Default Anyone else ever used a sort of agent?

Hi people,
    Not been on here for ages as I no longer have any gear The good news is that I now have a resident DJ position at a local pub for at least 2month while they try and get more people to go.

Well today I recieved a message on Facebook from a guy who says he is looking for DJs in the local area. He says he has all the equipment and he basically calls you up and tells you where to go and all the gear will be setup etc for a booking. I'd then get £70 from the fee.

Has anyone else ever heard of a service like this?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blue_Dragon View Post
    Hi people,
    Not been on here for ages as I no longer have any gear The good news is that I now have a resident DJ position at a local pub for at least 2month while they try and get more people to go.

Well today I recieved a message on Facebook from a guy who says he is looking for DJs in the local area. He says he has all the equipment and he basically calls you up and tells you where to go and all the gear will be setup etc for a booking. I'd then get £70 from the fee.

Has anyone else ever heard of a service like this?
    Oh yuss. In the old days, it was called "Records only ". You turned up to venue-Pub, WMC, or whatever, and surveyed the top of the range install you were going to be working with. Then you went out to the car, and brought enough of your own kit in to make it work!

I'm working next month in a hotel where technically all you need to take is your playout gear, and music. Depending on circumstances, I have been known to take more than that in with me.

A tiny word of caution. Do not go into this unwarily. Your promoter may well be an upright citizen, and well respected businessman. Jolly good, if that is the case. However, on occasion, this sort of arrangement can have -how can I put it delicately? - "certain corners cut". Just keep your eyes open, and your wits about you.

Others more familiar with the modern equivalent will be along soon, I'm sure.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

This guys says all I need to do is turn up and all the gear will be set up I just have to setup. i do the night then I either take my £70 out of the cash the customer gives me and put the rest to one side or he comes a couple of days later with the cash. Thats what bothers me

This guys says all I need to do is turn up and all the gear will be set up I just have to setup. i do the night then I either take my £70 out of the cash the customer gives me and put the rest to one side or he comes a couple of days later with the cash. Thats what bothers me
    You're learning, Glasshopper, you're learning. Also, I have seen no mention of Tax/Invoices/Receipts etc. Get my drift?

Yes exactly so think I might say sorry not interested.

Yes exactly so think I might say sorry not interested.
    The customer pays you is the bit that might be a problem--some little pulled that on me years ago--apparently the amount I was supposed to be paid was less than I was told--nothing in writing--big mistake not to be repeated ever again.

I would insist on money days BEFORE the gig or stuff it until you have a track record with them..

I worked with a DJ on Saturday night doing EXACTLY this system but they were an upmarket London Company that the guy worked for regularly and the AGENT paid him by BACS.

The moneys not much kop but then again you dont have to find the work.

Check he has EMPLOYERS LIABILITY INSURANCE in case you get electrocuted and get proof.

If Pigs had wings

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Check he has EMPLOYERS LIABILITY INSURANCE in case you get electrocuted and get proof.
    Proof of being electrocuted?

I think we're not saying it's a total no-no, simply that there are pitfalls to be aware of. Very aware. As Crazy says, the old favourite " Oh no mate, it's definitely not the £300 you were told, it's £20, a pint of bitter, and a bacon sarnie " is alive and well.

The golden rule is:

Get it in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Proof of being electrocuted?

I think we're not saying it's a total no-no, simply that there are pitfalls to be aware of. Very aware. As Crazy says, the old favourite " Oh no mate, it's definitely not the £300 you were told, it's £20, a pint of bitter, and a bacon sarnie " is alive and well.

The golden rule is:

Get it in writing.
    No --proof of EL Insurance so if he gets electrocuted he can sue the Insurance Company concerned.

I dont know why im bothering--we both know there wont be any Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    No --proof of EL Insurance so if he gets electrocuted he can sue the Insurance Company concerned.

I dont know why im bothering--we both know there wont be any Insurance
    There won't be a lot of other things, either.