Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacking out windows

Default Blacking out windows

This is sort opf "technical help"!

Pick my Merc Vito up next wednesday. The model I have has rear windows on the doors, which obviously I want to cover so nobody can see the gear inside. The windows have heated rear window bits on them. I don't really want to take the glass out if I can help it, but is there some sort of easy cover - that would maybe make it a mirror or black from the outside, but allow some vision from inside? Something I could put over the glass but wouldn't effect the heater eliments?

Yes there is - you should be able to get it from the likes of Halfords. You'll need to take a bit of time & care putting it on though.... otherwise it will crinkle up and look nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps
    This is sort opf "technical help"!

Pick my Merc Vito up next wednesday. The model I have has rear windows on the doors, which obviously I want to cover so nobody can see the gear inside. The windows have heated rear window bits on them. I don't really want to take the glass out if I can help it, but is there some sort of easy cover - that would maybe make it a mirror or black from the outside, but allow some vision from inside? Something I could put over the glass but wouldn't effect the heater eliments?
    I could be wrong, but I didn't think it was legal to do that unless they came as standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    I could be wrong, but I didn't think it was legal to do that unless they came as standard?
    Isn't that just on cars?

After all many vans come with rear windows as an option

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps
    Isn't that just on cars?

After all many vans come with rear windows as an option
    Yeah, you could be right.

As I said I wasn't sure.

Well tinted windows are legal....this just seems to be the next step up. Something I might look into for my kangoo. Any idea on prices anyone?
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

You can pick up a roll of "limo black" or "mirror" film that will do the windows from Halfords/Motor World etc..., but it is quite a tricky job to get it cut to the right size, and also on flat with no air bubbles/wrinkles. A roll will cost you about £20 and will do one window. Other option is to use a tinting firm to do it for you, that way it'll be perfect, they'll do black/mirror or pretty much any colour you want, most likely cost around £130ish to get it done that way.

may I suggest internal window grills as well as the tinting just incase they do smash them

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    There is a limit to how dark the tint can be on windscreens and side windows, but it doesn't apply to rear windows: Extract from VOSA on the subject:-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment
    There is a limit to how dark the tint can be on windscreens and side windows, but it doesn't apply to rear windows:
    Angela's quite right and thanks for the VOSA quote, a very useful snippet of info.

I've got window grills and very dark tint on the rear windows, with a lighter tint on the side windows, of my van.

If your Vito hasn't already got alarm, I would suggest that you get a Thatcham 1 or 2 level one.

You can do it yourself, but I would recommend getting it done professionally. There are plenty of places about and it's not too expensive.
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.