Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Disco?

Default Dodgy Disco?

Just after a few thoughts on this,

I was invited to a friends 18th on friday, it didn't occour to me there might be a disco (duh). So I arrived with an ex-technically minded mate to find this disco in the corner. I won't comment on the SoundLab lighting, as I realise I have high expectations of this.

However, I'm wondering if it is the norm for DJs to play some absolutely great tracks of the current chart early on in the evening, and then downgrade to older tracks that most of the younger guests had never heard of. (When we do this age group, we tend to play these tracks towards the end, as the YMCA etc are pretty much a no-go 80% of the time)

The party consisted of all Ages from about 15-45, however it was very clear anyone over the age of 18 wasn't going to dance all evening, yet all these older tracks were played, I understand the DJs were probably trying to get them to dance/play something they knew, but still it was never going to happen.

So I guess the question is, do you follow this pattern? And are we the minority?
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

dunno - if people not dancing tend to move around the genres until i find something they gonna dance to.....but then again u dont know what the bookee asked for - ive done some partys were the payee has stipulated what they want and roughly when for it not to work and ive changed it around and get people on the dance floor - only for them to complain that it isnt what they wanted .....

Quote Originally Posted by Creature
    dunno - if people not dancing tend to move around the genres until i find something they gonna dance to.....but then again u dont know what the bookee asked for - ive done some partys were the payee has stipulated what they want and roughly when for it not to work and ive changed it around and get people on the dance floor - only for them to complain that it isnt what they wanted .....
    Well we were all dancing early to the newer tracks, and "chilling" later on, which is the wrong way round!

Nothing was specified to the DJs, all the music was of their own accord.

They also didn't play a request I made 3 times, including one time when I cheekily wrote "PLAY THIS ...." on the back of one of my bussiness cards :teeth:
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will

They also didn't play a request I made 3 times, including one time when I cheekily wrote "PLAY THIS ...." on the back of one of my bussiness cards

I wonder why he didn'y play your request?..Hmmmm. I probably would have ripped up your card and handed you it back.

As dj's we've all experienced other dj's coming up to us while we're working. Personally I won't even introduce myself as a DJ if I'm at a party as a guest. If the party was a good night I'll go up and thank the dj but that's it. Don't take this the wrong way but I think handing the dj your business card and stating "PLAY THIS" was rude (in my opinion).

No offence intended Will, just stating my thoughts on this. :beer:

Agreed. Why hand your business card? If you did that to me id slap you one!!!!
    I,m sure the guy tried his best. You should be asking, what made your friend book them. Was it the price? the word of mouth? Get a life... you do your job, let others do theirs!!!! Sorry but as a guest, thats what you are. You are not employed by them, so let your self go. Enjoy the night! :beer: :beer:
    Last edited by Thames Valley Discos; 17-09-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames Valley Discos
    Agreed. Why hand your business card? If you did that to me id slap you one!!!!
    I,m sure the guy tried his best. You should be asking, what made your friend book them. Was it the price? the word of mouth? Get a life... you do your job, let others do theirs!!!!

Very correct mr P, I would beg the question why they booked him and not you? :teeth:
    THE FUNKYMIKE EXPERIENCE
    Now up and running The funkymike experience, the next level......
    KARAOKE like it should be

I did a joint 18th and 21st last night, the 20's were great, really up for a party, the 18's were just intent on getting ****ed, posing and preserving their cool, had a playlist mainly r'n'b and rock,but got them in numbers when I used my noggin and played some old school dance.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will
    Well we were all dancing early to the newer tracks, and "chilling" later on, which is the wrong way round!

Nothing was specified to the DJs, all the music was of their own accord.

They also didn't play a request I made 3 times, including one time when I cheekily wrote "PLAY THIS ...." on the back of one of my bussiness cards :teeth:

I would have had a field day on the mic with that one, even though iam mic shy :embarasse
    THE FUNKYMIKE EXPERIENCE
    Now up and running The funkymike experience, the next level......
    KARAOKE like it should be

Quote Originally Posted by funkymike
    Very correct mr P, I would beg the question why they booked him and not you? :teeth:
    Agreed Mr Funky! :beer:

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

I wouldn't say passing a business card is a definate no-no... although mabye in this case, and the way it was done was out of order.

I don't really get a chance to go to many discos that i'm not doing myself.. but if i was impressed with the Dj i'd probably go and chat to them and swap cards.. its always good to know local DJs you can trade work with.

In answer to the original question, most 18ths i've done tend to be modern stuff early on.. and then a mixture with the real big modern tracks and a bit of student music.. livin' on a prayer, don't stop me now, the jacksons etc. along with some 90s dance classics. I usually try and get the latest boring non-dancey RnB out of the way early on.. to save me getting nagged for it later on when it will kill the floor.

Although if there are parents there as well, then i'd probably play a few tracks that they could dance to.. if thats what they want.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113