Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a Disco

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Funny enough - I work in a very similar way. I've got templates in DJEP for various different event types, different budgets and different lead sources, all of them highly customised each and every time they go out the door. There's a lot that doesn't change in each email, so these are the bits that are kept as "standard", although even that changes per lead source.

So, yes they're personalised, but yes they're also from a template
    No point in making the job any harder than it needs to be
    I actually found it more work to customise a template so it didn’t look like a template each time than starting from scratch.

Not so much for lead site generated enquiries but those directly from my websites can vary in their style and tone and I like to mirror them with my reply style.

So many of you are in favour of a bespoke response to the enquiry rather than working with a structure and just changing key information.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Well, with so many people either not being descriptive or just copying other discos responses, if you want to stand out...

I suppose it can be a bit of a time sink if you're having to deal with a lot of enquiries. More so if the conversion rate is low.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    So many of you are in favour of a bespoke response to the enquiry rather than working with a structure and just changing key information.
    I think if you can go in lower than most then a template is fine, but if you know your quote is going to be higher than others then you need to show why you’re worth more. From my experience clients who aren’t just looking for the lowest price value the personal approach.

For example, an enquiry that mentions it’s a 70’s disco theme - what’s going to appeal to a client more, a template (even a really good one) or a friendly reply that is written specifically about their party showing enthusiasm about the music with a few example playlists, lighting options (mirror balls) asking if people are dressing up etc.

I know which approach works better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Well, with so many people either not being descriptive or just copying other discos responses, if you want to stand out...

I suppose it can be a bit of a time sink if you're having to deal with a lot of enquiries. More so if the conversion rate is low.
    How many enquiries do you get and what’s your conversion rate?

It does take time and effort, but maybe a clients perception would be ‘if they have taken the time to reply like this then I trust them to take the same time over all the other details’.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    No reason that you can't have both and, to be fair, it doesn't take a lot to make it feel personal. Keep the template, but spot opprtunities to personalise it. Case in point, just a couple of days ago I had an enquiry stating that she didn't want a cheesy DJ and I just edited my repsonse to "I am delighted to confirm that I am currently available* to provide professional (and non-cheesy!) DJ services for your wedding on X at Y." That, plus one or two other changes and the client booked and even used the word "Excited" in her response.

To date my most successful response email has been a template one but it was done in the style of a sales email with lots of pictures, a two column layout, logos etc. Now I send out all that as a booklet attached to a simple letter style email which is 70-30% template to freehand.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I think if you can go in lower than most then a template is fine, but if you know your quote is going to be higher than others then you need to show why you’re worth more. From my experience clients who aren’t just looking for the lowest price value the personal approach.

For example, an enquiry that mentions it’s a 70’s disco theme - what’s going to appeal to a client more, a template (even a really good one) or a friendly reply that is written specifically about their party showing enthusiasm about the music with a few example playlists, lighting options (mirror balls) asking if people are dressing up etc.

I know which approach works better for me.

How many enquiries do you get and what’s your conversion rate?

It does take time and effort, but maybe a clients perception would be ‘if they have taken the time to reply like this then I trust them to take the same time over all the other details’.
    I don't. I'm not on there yet. I'm pondering joining when I go solo & my plan isn't just to send generic responses. At the same time I don't know what it's going to be like in terms of volume for enquiries. My own research to date is making me nervous about entering an already crowded marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I don't. I'm not on there yet. I'm pondering joining when I go solo & my plan isn't just to send generic responses. At the same time I don't know what it's going to be like in terms of volume for enquiries. My own research to date is making me nervous about entering an already crowded marketplace.
    NaD’s a tool, you can use it in any way you like. Some get all their bookings from it and do very well, some, like me, don’t go after many and only expect 1 or 2 bookings a year as an addition to enquiries from other sources.

My view is that just one half decent booking a year more than pays for my membership.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    My view is that just one half decent booking a year more than pays for my membership.
    Is that enough though?

Like you, NaD is not my primary source when it comes to getting gigs and is something I hope(d) will supplement my income, but I still expect a decent return on any money I invest. I'm sure I've said before that I don't buy into the 'one gig pays for it' mentality. For every penny I earn, 50% goes to one side so it can pay for George Osbourne's champagne habit (it is too much, but it's better to have extra than not enough). Adding in the extra expenses of doing the gig itself, one gig will 'pay for itself' but not enough left over to make it worth my while. After all, beer & pizza isn't free!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Is that enough though?

Like you, NaD is not my primary source when it comes to getting gigs and is something I hope(d) will supplement my income, but I still expect a decent return on any money I invest. I'm sure I've said before that I don't buy into the 'one gig pays for it' mentality. For every penny I earn, 50% goes to one side so it can pay for George Osbourne's champagne habit (it is too much, but it's better to have extra than not enough). Adding in the extra expenses of doing the gig itself, one gig will 'pay for itself' but not enough left over to make it worth my while. After all, beer & pizza isn't free!
    My membership fee isn’t very high and I have the same base costs for every booking regardless of the source. I’m particularly choosy about which NaD enquiries I respond to so I’m probably not a typical example, but for me one a year is worth it, two and I’m quids in.

I believe there’s SEO benefits for being in the DJ Mark scheme as well - but as SEO is a bit of a mystery to me it would take someone else to explain how that works.