Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To DMX or not DMX..........That is the question.

Default To DMX or not DMX..........That is the question.

I have recently bought some 2nd hand LEDJ Par 56 Par Cans (x4). I also have a Equinox Quadzilla.

I didn't realise it until I picked them up, but the par cans came with a Chauvet Obey DMX controller. I've had a spin through the manual and a play about but must admit......I find it complex.

So my question is this (and it is not meant in anyway disrespectfully), is DMX worth me learning or is sound to light on master/slave ok? I have read some posts being quite critical of DJ's simply putting thier lights on chase modes and leaving them etc so wondered what the consensus was.

Cheers

www.ceremonyonline.com

It is worth learning, but for 4 x pars and one other effect it is pointless.

I think so, yes, especially for uplighting. If you stick to scenes it's not that complex (depending on the model of Obey controller you've got).

1st thing to do is download the manual
    ...the chemistry of music
    ''''

Quote Originally Posted by Eski75 View Post
    I have recently bought some 2nd hand LEDJ Par 56 Par Cans (x4). I also have a Equinox Quadzilla.

I didn't realise it until I picked them up, but the par cans came with a Chauvet Obey DMX controller. I've had a spin through the manual and a play about but must admit......I find it complex.

So my question is this (and it is not meant in anyway disrespectfully), is DMX worth me learning or is sound to light on master/slave ok? I have read some posts being quite critical of DJ's simply putting thier lights on chase modes and leaving them etc so wondered what the consensus was.

Cheers

www.ceremonyonline.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    It is worth learning, but for 4 x pars and one other effect it is pointless.
    Completely agree. Although you could add more pars, uplighting etc and DMX the whole lot...
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I think so, yes, especially for uplighting. If you stick to scenes it's not that complex (depending on the model of Obey controller you've got).

1st thing to do is download the manual
    Second thing is to start watching Youtube. You can learn oodles by watching the controller tutorials on there.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

So my question is this (and it is not meant in anyway disrespectfully), is DMX worth me learning or is sound to light on master/slave ok? I have read some posts being quite critical of DJ's simply putting thier lights on chase modes and
    DMX is not that hard to master TBO. It seems to be the dip settings that people have problems getting around but once you understand the binary values it becomes a lot easier. I dont agree with the comments about it being pointless with the amount of lights you have. Even if I go out with just 2 pars I still use DMX. Its never a bad thing learning a new skill.
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

..........but for 4 x pars and one other effect it is pointless.
    Each to thier own, it's just a personal thing, I don't like the Glastonbury mainstage hanging above my head........equally, I'm still building my rig and it's what I can afford.

Each to thier own, it's just a personal thing, I don't like the Glastonbury mainstage hanging above my head........equally, I'm still building my rig and it's what I can afford.

I wasn't suggesting you weren't using enough lighting, I am saying that it's pointless using DMX with 4 pars and one other effect.

Sheesh, you asked a question and I answered it....

I wasn't suggesting you weren't using enough lighting, I am saying that it's pointless using DMX with 4 pars and one other effect.
    Depending on which Pars he has, surely he'll need some form of control to get a colour at all, so isn't DMX of some sort a viable option?

The most basic and cheap Thomann controller fits that bill. For one that requires no learning whatsoever the Ryger FLP1 would be fine, though much dearer.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Sheesh, you asked a question and I answered it....
    Even with the number of effects, I wouldn't say it is 'pointless' to take some control over the effects for first dances etc ... ?