Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: Do you take the balance payment before or at the gig?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Usually have clients pay balance in advance of event (ie x days/weeks before)

7 46.67%
  • Usually take cash on the night before starting

3 20.00%
  • Usually take cash at the end of the night

5 33.33%
  • Other (specify in thread)

0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Payment upfront or payment at the end

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I wouldn't expect my clients to carry £50+ in cash around with them anyway.
    Doesn't seem to be a problem for my customers.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Doesn't seem to be a problem for my customers.
    All in coppers no doubt!

Generally I get paid at the beginning or during the event, Weddings and suchlike I take a deposit when its booked and then get the remainder of the fee on the night

I really can't understand the payment on the night for weddings - do any of the other service providers (flowers, cake, venue, catering, photographer etc) get paid then as well? I can't ever recall seeing a line of people queuing up to get their money at a wedding - it's just the DJ then!

I think this cash in hand practice helps perpetuate the public perception we are a second rate service compared to the others.

I have seen photographers get paid on the night. Ideally I'd prefer payment for a wedding etc beforehand but as I used to work for an agency everything was paid by the client either during or after the event no matter whether it was a kids party or a wedding

Deposit before the event, as keeping with my T&C , payment must be paid before the event , but ..... on the night is ok with me.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    7 day before the gig.

Nothing to do with trust, more to do with the running of my business efficiently and being more convenient for the client. Most pay by bank transfer or card these days.
    +1

Payment before the event also for us, any kit hired is also always paid for in full along with a deposit.
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I think this cash in hand practice helps perpetuate the public perception we are a second rate service compared to the others.
    +1

The only two reasons I can think of for any supplier to receive cash on the night from a private client is 1) on a really last minute booking (i.e. the same day) or 2) because they are a cash in hand, no questions asked, don't tell the tax man business.

Of course everyone getting cash on the night is sending the client an invoice and a receipt aren't they?

P.S. In answer to the question, 14 days prior to the event.
    Exit stage left...

All bookings are due 14 days before.

99.9% of my work is Weddings and in many cases the venue asks for full payment 2-3 months before so mine at 14 days is nothing unusual.

I changed to 14 days around 3 years ago now after the Best Man at a Wedding was given the cash to pay me, got a little bit worse for wear and it came to light at the end of the night when the Groom asked if I'd been paid that the Best Man had been buying lots of rounds of drinks......with my cash

The father of the bride ended up going to a cash machine while I was packing down to get my money!! Since then it's been 14 days and never had a client question it
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs