Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquee again. Should alarm bells be ringing!??

Default Marquee again. Should alarm bells be ringing!??

Enquiry my inbox today,

Marquee. 200 guests, likes dance and rnb, finish 1230am

Looked on google maps and is within 200m of significant housing

Your thoughts on this and the noise it's likely to create?

There is absolutely no doubt that the sound will carry to the housing estate which early evening will not be a problem. However after about 10.00/10.30PM when the other sources of noise have ceased then you can expect complaints.

The only event I've done in a marquee was a wedding last month, but that was a remote location and the neighbouring farm were good friends and invited so we didn't have a problem with complaints.

Worse case scenario is police/environmental health noise pollution and that I am fairly certain is your responsibility (but I stand to be corrected on that)

JTRS

I turned 2 down in northants in the last month for exactly this problem I know the location and last time i did them I was threatened with confiscation of my gear by the local authorities.

Better safe than sorry in my book.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by JTRS View Post
    There is absolutely no doubt that the sound will carry to the housing estate which early evening will not be a problem. However after about 10.00/10.30PM when the other sources of noise have ceased then you can expect complaints.

The only event I've done in a marquee was a wedding last month, but that was a remote location and the neighbouring farm were good friends and invited so we didn't have a problem with complaints.

Worse case scenario is police/environmental health noise pollution and that I am fairly certain is your responsibility (but I stand to be corrected on that)

JTRS
    I did a marquee about a month ago and this was remote about 1 mile from nearest houses and I did drop the bass after 11, but this is a lot closer.

I understand form a bit of reading that if a complaint is made they will make it to the person whose party it is i.e. the B&G but if they fail to act, they will confiscate the noise making equipment, i.e my kit. I'm not sure how that works out in reality, but it would sure bring a downer on the party which is ultimately what I want to avoid. I'd rather deliver a great party to the best of my ability or not bother at all.

I just add a clause to my T&C's for marquee events stating that in the event of complaints I'll comply with any instructions outlined by the local authorities, and terminate the performance if requested. So far I've never had a client query it, and it covers my back if I do have to finish early.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I just add a clause to my T&C's for marquee events stating that in the event of complaints I'll comply with any instructions outlined by the local authorities, and terminate the performance if requested. So far I've never had a client query it, and it covers my back if I do have to finish early.
    Good idea, I'll take a look at that.

I think given what I know about this gig at the moment I will pass on it.

If I were you I'd take it on you can't lose, as long as you've been paid upfront, if the police tell you to stop the music then pack up and enjoy an early night.

Quote Originally Posted by par6 View Post
    If I were you I'd take it on you can't lose, as long as you've been paid upfront, if the police tell you to stop the music then pack up and enjoy an early night.
    Quite unlikely the police will be involved unless there is a clear breach of the peace or associated anti-social behaviour. Its the local authority environmental health team you need to be worried about, and they have the power of confiscation. They can also issue fines against you, the person making the noise. Not the organiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    Quite unlikely the police will be involved unless there is a clear breach of the peace or associated anti-social behaviour. Its the local authority environmental health team you need to be worried about, and they have the power of confiscation. They can also issue fines against you, the person making the noise. Not the organiser.
    Update: I have contacted the marquee hirer who is getting an one off events license to run by the Environmental guys. If gets the ok then I am happy to quote, as long as I can see a copy.

Has anyone any experience of these type of one-off event licenses ?

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    Update: I have contacted the marquee hirer who is getting an one off events license to run by the Environmental guys. If gets the ok then I am happy to quote, as long as I can see a copy.

Has anyone any experience of these type of one-off event licenses ?
    My local Environmental Agency advised me they didn't give or deny permission for private parties but just followed up on any complaints - obviously different areas may have different regulations.

If it were me I'd want to know exactly what this license was for, I can't see how it could override any noise nuisance complaints.