Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling Uplighting / Moodlighting

Default Selling Uplighting / Moodlighting

Before we start, I know it should be simple, best part of a DJ business etc etc. the fact is though, no matter how hard I try I cannot sell uplighting whether by email or face to face meetings.

I do 'ok' with it through reccomendations, plus it is mainly all-day bookings I am taking where they really include most of what is on offer. The struggling point is where I have an evening disco but just cannot seem to sell the moodlighting aspect.

I have some nice pictures, and even had a DJ friend who lent me his photos he used to see if that was the problem. I also take a couple of moodlights with me to meetings to show them off but still nothing.

I always take what DJ's say with a pinch of salt but have spoken to many who do more discos WITH uplighting than without.

Any advice on where I am going wrong ???
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I always take what DJ's say with a pinch of salt but have spoken to many who do more discos WITH uplighting than without.
    And you'll probably find that they are either charging nothing or very little for it hence the reason for doing so many bookings with it.

I do a number of gigs with Uplighting included. Darren is kind of correct in a roundabout way.....BUT, I use it to increase my earning potential.
    I have a price for stand alone Uplighting and that's been quite popular.

I generally mention it in my meetings. I ask what the colour scheme is and then show them some photos. I tell them the price it usually is and see what the reaction is. Sometimes they go for it and if I think they can't decide then I will say I can discount it. In my opinion, it's all extra and doesn't take long when I am setting up. I do say it's dependent on an early set up at the venue and I mainly do it locally. It doesn't take much longer to set it up with the Disco and it earns me more money.

Saturday's Wedding - The Uplighting took me 20 minutes and I did it after the Wedding breakfast. I checked the venue out first and it was perfect with lots of sockets.
    Today I've had a booking confirmed today for next year. The lady called on Saturday and also enquired about the Uplighting. I gave her all the details and the price for Disco & Uplighting and again, informed her that the Uplighting was dependent on an early set up. She got back to me and said that she really wanted to go ahead with the Disco but both exceeded their budget for entertainment. I stuck to my guns and said "No Problem" and then she said "Oh, What the Hell" and booked both.

I think people are either interested or they're not. A few people have said on here in the past that it's had it's day but I disagree. How can Uplighting (something that can enhance the look of a venue) suddenly go out of fashion? I haven't noticed a sudden drop in the enquiries and when my money finally comes through, I may invest in a lot more units.

I don't do a lot, but sometimes use it as a deal clincher for enquiries I am keen to convert.
    It certainly hasnt been as big for me as I thought it might or you might be led to believe from others.

Ive found that the venue can push it far better than I ever could.

One of the venues I do actually use a picture of the marquee lit up on all of their wedding promo stuff....thats where a lot of my standalone work comes from!
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

I find it easer to sell uplighting than I do discos Standalone uplighting hires are about 30/% of my bookings
    Just looked at your website how can you upsell or sell it as a standalone service your uplighting if i cant find a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lockwood View Post
    I find it easer to sell uplighting than I do discos Standalone uplighting hires are about 30/% of my bookings
    Just looked at your website how can you upsell or sell it as a standalone service your uplighting if i cant find a picture of it.
    Website accounts for very very little of my work. I can upsell other things but not uplighting, even though I do take photos to meetings and email some with quotations.

Think the real reason is probably because I am not that passionate about it.

I've almost given up on mood lighting. The short room turnaround times with the majority of venues has made it difficult to provide the service.

good to hear some true opinions of uplighting and it's popularity .

the website pictures wet there appetite for the lighting as such in such a way that they just ask me how much it is, it sells itself
    as for setting it up during room turnrounds its only ever set up in the morning or early evening if they are not using the room during the day.
    There is no way you can do full room uplighting during the turnround