Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is Suitable Dress for a Christmas Party

depending on the event normally black trousers and shirt and tie and suit jacket or as it xmas my xmas shirt see attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bournemouth Disco's
    Making Your Night A Good Good Night
    http://www.bournemouthdisco.com

Surely this depends on the venue and dress code?

Some of the venues we do are black tie, others are suit and tie, some are suit and shirt and others are trousers and shirt.

Shock horror, I did a corporate Christmas party last night and wore black jeans, shoes and untucked (OMG - someone hang me!) shirt. Why? I was in a function room in a bar and that's what everyone else wore...

The only times I have worn anything less that Shirt, Trouser and Suit Jacket, are for Kids parties.

I like to, on occasion, be overdressed, as it marks me out as someone at the event in a different/professional capacity (or an overdressed idiot, delete as appropriate )

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I always ask the client how they want/expect me to dress
    Devil's Advocate mode on>Whatever happened to protocol? Custom? Dressing for the function? Wedding =suit and tie. Formal affairs a Tuxedo if you wish. 18th down the local WMC, well as long as your genitalia are covered, you're on the right track. If punters get any more input into the DJ's job, they'll soon be specifying only RCF cabs, Denon playout, and no laptop DJ's!! <Devil's Advocate mode off. Lights blue touchpaper and retires to a safe distance.

Quote Originally Posted by marting View Post
    my xmas shirt see attached.
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear!! Martin, whatever you do, never stand next to Davesounds at a meeting. The resultant colour clash would be catastrophic!!

I jest, for many a year where a suit and tie were the default setting for the functions/venues I was working at, Every year I would have a Christmas Tie, some of which were quite splendid. And a Hat, preferably with lights on.

One year though, I came unstuck with a hat. Having fired up my rig, I placed the recently purchased cranial adornment in position, and set about entertaining the masses. All night long, I kept hearing music which wasn't what I was playing, and with my headphones on, it was even worse. It was only wwwhen I'd finished for the night, and switched my gear off that I realised my hat was playing music!!

I've also been at outdoor functions where quiet has been needed, and there is still music plainly audible. Everybody blames the poor old DJ, yet it turns out regularly to be the blasted Portaloos playing something soothing!!.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I always ask the client how they want/expect me to dress
    I don't think I've ever asked a client that. And I don't think I've ever had a client specify to me how I should dress. I just turn up dressed smartly and appropriately for the event.

For the vast majority of gigs I wear black trousers, black shirt and a tie. I used to wear a suit all the time but it was just too warm in the summer months. Tonight I'm wearing a suit, black shirt but no tie. I feel for the type of event it will be smart enough, yet casual. I've also been known to wear jeans and polo shirt for School parties. As long as you are clean, smart, and the level of dress is appropriate for the event then all is good in my opinion.
    Last edited by Shaun; 13-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I don't think I've ever asked a client that. And I don't think I've ever had a client specify to me how I should dress. I just turn up dressed smartly and appropriately for the event.

But how would you know if it's appropriate? For example, if it was a Masonic ladies evening, then generally it would be black tie, but if you didn't ask, how would you know and wouldn't you feel out of place if you were the only one not wearing it?

For me it's usually black shoes, black trousers, shirt and tie and then black or grey jumper lightweight jumper on top if the weather dictates.

Black Tie functions I wear a black tie and suit.

Kids disco's and school disco's I now wear smart jeans or casual trousers and logo'd Polo shirt and/or Hoodie depending on the weather - unless the type of event is likely to bring all the kids out in their best party gear, and then I'm back to my typical trousers and shirt - though the shirts tend to be bright for the kids parties

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    But how would you know if it's appropriate? For example, if it was a Masonic ladies evening, then generally it would be black tie, but if you didn't ask, how would you know and wouldn't you feel out of place if you were the only one not wearing it?

I'd be smartly dressed in shirt and tie, so no, I wouldn't feel out of place in the slightest.

In the past I've provided services for fancy dress parties and been the only one in a shirt and tie, and didn't feel out of place either.

I've got one of these: http://www.:Censored::Censored::Cens...:eshirts.co.uk that I used to wear when I did a lot of cheesy hen party / birthday karaoke nights a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I've got one of these: http://www.:Censored::Censored::Cens...:eshirts.co.uk that I used to wear when I did a lot of cheesy hen party / birthday karaoke nights a few years back.
    Even though it got censored I know the shirts you mean!