Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equipment problems over the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I know how you feel ,i started to use video in my show and services had nothing but hassle and i was using a Mac Book Pro i am no expert on computer matters so i asked my son who does a lot of big video productions,he suggested to get a decent laptop that was up to the job and he acquired me a top of the range Alien ware machine been faultless for over a year and cant recommend it enough.
    Alienware make gaming machines for resource-hungry 3D gaming applications. They've won many accolades for their systems and quite rightly, too. I can't help but feel, though, that they might be a bit of overkill for much simpler 2D video/audio applications such as VDJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    My laptop is much lower spec than yours John and runs video without a problem.
    Mine too. The only problem I have running video is that the laptop was getting quite hot. Within it's safe limits but hotter than I'd have liked. This was an easy fix, though, when I bought a Belkin laptop cooling stand from Amazon. My laptop keeps itself a lot cooler now and I am much happier about this.

Quote Originally Posted by mattred View Post
    I always find that's the problem with PCs tho. It's not so much the spec its the combination of parts. Serato list a minimum processor speed so you would think as long as you meet that your fine. Unfortunately AMD processors don't work as well as intel so even if you buy a pc with the right spec you may still have problems. Windows has to work with so many combinations where as apples operating system doesn't.

Matt
    I'm sorry but I really feel that the "my Mac is better than your PC" debate is not really warranted here as it does absolutely nothing to help John with his technical issues. That's kind of like a Citroen owner posting a plea for help as his engine isn't firing correctly and getting the reply "You should buy a BMW, mate". It's really not helpful at all.

As for the AMD comment, I use a sub £350 Compaq Presario with 3Gb RAM and a mobile AMD chip running Windows7 and my machine can handle video within VDJ with relative ease. In fact, the only issue I had was actually a problem that lay with the Aero system. Once I was advised of the solution by a forum member here, I turned off Aero and everything's been fine since.

John, I also understand that there's issues with the SBDJ Scrolltext. I haven't used the plugin much as I've always just used Pangolin's Essential Visuals as this does everything (and more!) that I need it to do. I use it with videos all the time and, like I've already said, no problems.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

My comment regarding AMD processors was just an example as to why not all spec is the same. AMD may be fine for virtual dj but I know serato do not support them.

You do have to be very careful with plugin's with Virtual DJ. I've been using a picture rotator plugin to display background images between songs (things like my logo, big halloween pumpkin and now a big Happy Xmas message) so I've had the plugin configured as the default for audio only tracks. The issue I've found with it is that if you run with one image, close virtual DJ, move the image elsewhere and then re-open Virtual DJ and re-enable video, the plugin errors saying it can't find the image file, but you can't close the warning message or do anything in Virtual DJ so you have to kill VDJ and start again!

It might be worth looking at other plugins if you ever go down the Video route again?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by mattred View Post
    My comment regarding AMD processors was just an example as to why not all spec is the same. AMD may be fine for virtual dj but I know serato do not support them.
    Whilst this may be true of older chipsets, 2012 was the year that finally saw AMD getting a commercial edge over Intel. In tests this year, it's been shown that the new AMD Trinity chips (or, to give them their current name, the AMD Second Generation A-Series processors) are matching their Intel M Series counterparts like for like on routine tasks. However, for integrated graphics, which is the issue that John was having, the new Trinity chip is shown to be delivering results twice as fast as the comparable mobile chip. And we're talking about mobile technology here so these chips are designed, in particular, for laptop use. There should be a raft of new laptop models being released incorporating this technology and the AMD machines will be more budget than the intel ones (as is often the case and I've spotted an Intel Ivy Bridge chip today for almost £1,000 ).

As for the comment about Serato not running on an AMD system, I'd have to take your word for it as I don't use Serato. I did try the free Serato DJ Intro download but wasn't too impressed as, to be honest, it's library system seems to be better than it's actual playout system but, after what you've said, this could be to do with my AMD chipset, something I hadn't considered earlier.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Thanks for the heads up Dazzy, really knew nothing about Alienware but it does seem to handle anything i throw at it,i don't use virtual dj for video i have a Arkaos NuVj system to run my video loops because i like all the effects and as my screen is 3m x 2.5m the picture has to be spot on i would guess its down to the graphics card and processing power but as i said not my field and if it works that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    As for the comment about Serato not running on an AMD system, I'd have to take your word for it as I don't use Serato. I did try the free Serato DJ Intro download but wasn't too impressed as, to be honest, it's library system seems to be better than it's actual playout system but, after what you've said, this could be to do with my AMD chipset, something I hadn't considered earlier.
    No worries, wasn't trying to be funny :-)

I havent used intro as have a controller for itch and a sl3 for scratch live but I thought it was just drop the track on the deck and press play on your controller. To be honest intro is a very basic system and is aimed at bedroom DJs or those just playing the odd party. For pros like us you would prefer itch (or now serato DJ)

Matt

The weekend has brought further equipment issues. On friday night my RCF active sub we wasnt hearing anything from it and wondered why. My first thoughts were the subwoofer has blown and I really couldnt understand how it had. But when we moved the pot on the back the bass come back on. The problem there lies with the pot. It needs a replacement.

At the end of Saturday nights gig on the last song i heard a bit of a crackle. When playing a song though the MC6000.

As for the videos. Ive not had any issues on friday and saturday night running videos running the following setup.

1. Sony laptop connected into the Soundcraft desk via a ESI Maya 44 usb External soundcard. (rather than using it on the Denon MC6000)
    2. 1x Television in the middle of the truss with HDMI from TV connected straight into laptop, rather than using 2x screens and the hdmi splitter
    3. SBDJ Scrolltext off during music videos and occasionally switched clipbank on for visuals.

The laptop was getting hot near the HDMI Input so thats the graphics card getting hot on it. But it got over the finish line on both friday and sat without issues using the same setup.

Everytime ive had backup kit. So the problem hasnt knocked me down. The hotel manager has been fine with me about everything. She knows ive got enough backup kit to get me through it.

On the first friday night. The hotel duty manager had been through and said they had been a couple of complaints. Because the music went off. But come the end of the night. I had learnt that as the night went on. The duty manager come back through and said both companies have withdrawn their complaints. there was about 8 companies in there.

But after the setback. I picked up my microphone and appologised to them all and told them everything is ok now. One or two of the directors come over to see if I was ok and I told them what had happened and they just said its one of them things unfortunately.

Come end of the night. I got a better insight as to what kind of the night they had. Which was a big applause on the dancefloor from them all. The duty manager said its still been a good night. Well Done John.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundONE View Post
    Lots of bugs in SBDJ scrolltext, lots of people talking about various crashes etc, strange boxes appearing and all wierd stuff.
    I personally have never had an issue with this plugin and I run video.

I also use Essential Visuals which is much more versatile than SBDJ Scrolltext
    -------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------
    www.vip-disco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by welby View Post
    I personally have never had an issue with this plugin and I run video.

I also use Essential Visuals which is much more versatile than SBDJ Scrolltext
    Don't take my word for it, just take a look on vdj forum.