Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tradesman v Dj

Why do DJs insist on quoting their hourly rate as if they don't do a minute's work outside of the 3, 4, 5 (or whatever) hours of the event, and as if they don't have any business overheads? You wonder why clients have trouble working out why you charge what you do, when so many DJs don't seem to have a clue themselves!

To the general public the cost of hiring a DJ is a lot and in many ways it is hard to justify.
    All other members of what we call the Entertainment business have a distinct and obvious talent, musicians, singers, commedians etc have worked and practised for years to hone their craft whereas any fool can call themselves a "DJ" tomorrow and go out with Maplins gear, 30 gig of mp3's,do a gig and "blag" it i.e. get by, play the classics, some chart stuff and there you go, thats why there are so many Dj's now around your area compared to 30 years ago.
    Back in the day, when I started 1984, Dj's were revered, looked up to, respected, they had record collections that took years to build up and had a real knowledge of the music they played, the gear was huge, light screens, walls of speakers and, here's the big one, personality ! They were entertainers, therefore anyone who fancied becoming a DJ was up against big obstacles, where would I get all my music from?, I'm gonna need a twin wheel transit ( de rigeur for a DJ in the 70's and 80's) for all the gear and on top of all that I've got to be an entertainer ? speak on the mic, and interact with the audience, eeek, sod that,I'll stick to the day job.
    Fast forward 30 years and the percieved value of the DJ has all but disappeared, every song is immediately accessible via wifi, "DJ's" are going out with 500 gig of music that they dowloaded for free, the dj spends all night sat down and speaks only to announce the buffet and last orders and the gear (LED lights and all)fits in the back of a Mondeo ?
    Thats why the client in the OP can't see £350's worth of value because there isn't any, not in any DJ he's seen.

Quote Originally Posted by par6 View Post
    Thats why the client in the OP can't see £350's worth of value because there isn't any, not in any DJ he's seen.
    ...so we're back to 'Explain why YOU are!'

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    There are top earning craftsmen in all trades, they're usually in high demand and for a very good reason, they can demonstrate why they are worth the extra.

Take the carpenter in the first post - I bet he'd get it if you said it's like the difference between a Chippy and a Master Woodcarver.

The services have ranks that indicate higher levels of responsibility and experience (and pay of course). No real argument about the differences in pay levels between people who risk their lives and devote their time to help people for little reward (armed services, firemen, nurses, ambulance etc) and other jobs though, so I wouldn't even attempt that one. I'd just agree and say they are grossly underpaid and it's not fair, but everybody has to make a living and there are many jobs that pay better and don't get me started on bankers and footballers etc.

But it all comes down to making yourself stand out from other DJ's, not necessarily better, but different in some way and a perfect match for that client, if you can't get that across then they have nothing else to go on but what you charge and what they can see - which isn't any different to anyone else, we all have speakers and lights and play music, and we all say we give a quality, bespoke service etc. With some clients it really does come down to getting in tune (no pun intended) with them and creating a relationship.

I also think that replies from customers who don't book you are worth their weight in gold. People send out feedback forms after successful events and get very little back they can use - comments like these from non-bookers gives you a real insight into where improvements can be made.
    Good post.

This is getting good. I never quote an hourly rate, never have done and never will but I do a quick addition of time required to travel, set up, playing time and so on. I then give a quote. Admittedly I am quoting less this years as there are so many DJ's going well below my rates.
    Many prospective clients are just after a price and they are not interested in whether cheap Maplin gear is used, what the light show is like, experience or anything else. Just the price.
    I do call or email some that I do not win and ask why, feedback in other word. Most say 'I found cheaper'.

Maybe I should pick up a bucket and snow shovel and brush and offer to clear the driveway of snow as a guy did when I answered the door. Only a fiver he said.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    they are not interested in whether cheap Maplin gear is used, what the light show is like, experience or anything else. Just the price.
    I disagree strongly with that: people DO care about quality and don't want cheap tat! It is, however, a balancing act between quality and price.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Why do DJs insist on quoting their hourly rate as if they don't do a minute's work outside of the 3, 4, 5 (or whatever) hours of the event, and as if they don't have any business overheads? You wonder why clients have trouble working out why you charge what you do, when so many DJs don't seem to have a clue themselves!
    It's not really quoting an hourly rate for me but if you can't get £40 to £50 an hour whilst you are actually playing makes you wonder if it's worth doing, considering all the other work and costs involved before you start or indeed pack up and go home.

Also unlike traditional trades, we have less hours to earn our keep. Can't remember the last time I did a daytime weekday gig. Our kit also needs to be maintained both technically and visually and unlike most trades we have to buy each song as we need it. If you have sizeable inventory then you also need a lockup/office, and then you have business rates etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by par6 View Post
    Back in the day, when I started 1984, Dj's were revered, looked up to, respected, they had record collections that took years to build up and had a real knowledge of the music they played.......................,
    Fast forward 30 years and the percieved value of the DJ has all but disappeared,
    Oh my dear chap, how firmly you have struck the nail on the head. Correctamundo.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    Many prospective clients are just after a price and they are not interested in whether cheap Maplin gear is used, what the light show is like, experience or anything else. Just the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    I disagree strongly with that: people DO care about quality and don't want cheap tat! It is, however, a balancing act between quality and price.
    And I disagree with you, Angela. Courteously, and conditionally, but an opposite point of view, nevertheless.
    Unless you can convince the customer that " a disco is a disco is a disco" is not true, the customer will always feel the width, not the quality. Always.

I agree totally that we have to convince them that not all discos are the same, and explain the reasons why our prices are justified, but by heavens, it's hard sometimes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Unless you can convince the customer that " a disco is a disco is a disco" is not true, the customer will always feel the width, not the quality. Always.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm not quite sure how you can say always and be speaking for everyone either?