Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best approach to counter noise complaints.

Default Best approach to counter noise complaints.

My local pub/music venue has just been officially advised one local resident has been keeping a log of loud music and has complained.

Obviously compromises must be made - has anyone had experience of how best to phrase a reply and be seen to be offering a solution?

I'm thinking of advising that live music will end at 11pm and DJ's will be routed via a limiter/compressor set to a reasonable level (from the log it appears it's bass from the DJ sets that's the problem).

Any hints, tips, legal advice etc would be welcome.

Tell the misrable sod to move lol

But to be serious, the suggestions you have already said or the venue to install their own sound system with built in compression, I work at a wedding venue and I plug my mixer directly into a rack which limits how loud I can go, is very expensive mind, and not gonna be something a landlord can probably afford.

Its does a great job, no sound can be heard outside and if anyone moans to turn the music up, I just explain that i'm limited. No watching the meter all night and no chance of being cut off, just cut down lol

I was under the impression nothing could be done until 11pm anyway which is why many venues ask you lower the volume after this time, not 100% on this though
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by lazersounds View Post
    Tell the misrable sod to move lol

But to be serious, the suggestions you have already said or the venue to install their own sound system with built in compression, I work at a wedding venue and I plug my mixer directly into a rack which limits how loud I can go, is very expensive mind, and not gonna be something a landlord can probably afford.

Its does a great job, no sound can be heard outside and if anyone moans to turn the music up, I just explain that i'm limited. No watching the meter all night and no chance of being cut off, just cut down lol

I was under the impression nothing could be done until 11pm anyway which is why many venues ask you lower the volume after this time, not 100% on this though
    First thing I checked was the 11pm point - but frequently occurring noise at any time can be viewed as a nuisance apparently.

I had a similar problem in a restaurant I used to co-own. While looking at dealing with the problem at source through limiters etc., it's also worth looking at the building itself to work out where the noise is escaping from. We hired a consultancy called Vibrock (http://www.vibrock.com/consultancy.p...noise-services) who advised some simple measures that helped. For example, changing the angle on some wall mounted speakers, we lined the fire doors with sheet steel which reflected the majority of noise back into the building, put some acoustic tiles in the ceiling. As long as they show that they are willingly engaging with the process, the local authority is likely to be reasonable
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

Martin, I have experience of this and it's almost an exact same scenario.
    I have been DJing at my local now for around 8 years with no problems at all.
    There used to be one guy who lived over the road that complained whenever and wherever possible. The pub is opposite a police station and next door to the council offices.
    The funny thing is, the guy used to complain on a regular basis BEFORE the pub ever had Discos or live music.
    In the end the guy moved away and the complaints stopped.
    Funny thing is, at the end of the car park there used to be a car showroom but that got knocked down and houses were built on the plot. There has not been 1 complaint as far as I know and those houses are nearer to the pub than the house where the guy used to complain.
    About a year ago the pub installed a sound limiter to show the council that they were aware that volumes could be loud. I went in one day and pumped up the volume so that the settings could be set on the limiter. It was stupidly loud and much louder than I would normally have it but the council were happy after doing checks.
    The rules state (in this pub) that Discos have to finish at Midnight (unless it's Christmas Eve or New Years Eve) and Karaokes and Live Music have to finish at 11.00pm.

I think the best bet would be for the venue to install a limiter so it shows that they are aware of the volume and are doing their best to co-operate?

from the log it appears it's bass from the DJ sets that's the problem
    You have answered your own question ! Turn the bass down
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    You have answered your own question ! Turn the bass down
    Yep, no getting away from that. My question was how to best present it to the Council. They'll be looking for a bit more than a vague promise, a pro-active plan of action would be better. Just seeing if there's any points we haven't thought about already.

Isn't measuring the Db coming out of your speakers when the mixer is at max and turning the volume knob on your speakers until it reaches the maximum allowed Db and never setting them past this point good enough to ensure that you are taking reasonable steps to ensure the volume is being monitored?

I understand the pwer cut off ones for venues with many different DJ's but when you're dealing with just one or two surely the above method would be good enough?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Yep, no getting away from that. My question was how to best present it to the Council. They'll be looking for a bit more than a vague promise, a pro-active plan of action would be better. Just seeing if there's any points we haven't thought about already.
    Just been thru this with one of few pubs i still do - before each gig dj has to sign a waver saying that heagrees to start to turn down the bass at 10.30pm and by midnight have bass turned off. I found an easier solution I just take a smaller rig, turn the bass on graphic knob on mixer to 11 oclock - problem solved, mind you we did work with the council on this one and they sent someone to monitor it at a booking. Between us we came up trumps.

the other options sound boards in front windows - work really well at one venue i dj at.

if carpark area is at front off ub were complaint is coming from and it has gates - close them - - make a surprising difference.

Another venue has there own db meter that they use at various locations inside and outside the pub - making notes in an exercise book - that idea came from an enviro health officer.....

the front door - hopefully you have a 2nd door and its kept closed, except when people walk thru it.

At the end of the day enviro health/council put the onus on you to solve the issue - talk to your envro health officer, strike up a good working relationship wth him/her, ask them questions - listen to the ideas - discuss a plan of action.

what ever you do dont get on the wrong side off them as they will make your life hell.

Isn't measuring the Db coming out of your speakers when the mixer is at max and turning the volume knob on your speakers until it reaches the maximum allowed Db and never setting them past this point good enough to ensure that you are taking reasonable steps to ensure the volume is being monitored?
    No because if the venue is empty or partially full it will be too loud - the same as when the venue is full up and people dancing it will be to quiet!