Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Deckstand Booth - Your views on the trussing attachments

Default Deckstand Booth - Your views on the trussing attachments

I have recently purchased the Deckstand Booth Micro and am very impressed with its build quality, etc (http://www.advancedeventdesigns.com/...nd-Booth-Micro).

I am now considering purchasing the additional brackets, poles and trussing. However, I would appreciate some feedback from others who have got this (or similar Deckstand Booths) as to how easy it is to attach the brackets, how to attach the brackets, the stability of the stand, etc.

I am currently comparing this to a seperate stand-alone truss system (via either Ultimax or similar lighting stands), winched or otherwise. The choice would also include the new ADJ truss system.

Your feedback on any of this would be much appreciated .
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.

The brackets are very easy to attach, just 2 thumbscrews on each. I've heard a few people say they've had issues over time with the screws. I used to just leave the brackets attached when I used the overhead so haven't experienced any problems.

Stability: I personally never felt completely at ease with the stability, perhaps my experience is attributable to using the deck stand micro...I dunno. it was always a bit too wobbly for my liking, especially if I was setup on carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

Stability: I personally never felt completely at ease with the stability, perhaps my experience is attributable to using the deck stand micro...I dunno. it was always a bit too wobbly for my liking, especially if I was setup on carpet.
    Real men have a full size one, stabilised with great big heavy power amps on the lower shelf, and assorted boxes on the topone, containing things like CD players.

OK, OK, I'll try to be serious for a minute. My full size DSB is stable enough for me, with a fair sized overhead. For reasons we won't go into, I started to use the rear mounting holes, and it's no less stable at all, which surprised me. How the micro compares, I don't know.

One of the many reasons why I'm wary of using active cabs is the removal of many kilos of ballast, otherwise known as power amps. It may have little adverse effect, I'll have to try pushing John's DSB over next time I work with him. ( Oh poo. Being serious didn't last long, did it? )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Mine too is the larger version but it's a breeze to attach the brackets to the stand although mine didn't quite match up with the threads in the stand (or visa versa) so I had to grind the holes a little bigger.

If you leave the brackets fastened to the lower part of the vertical chrome support tubes, it makes setting up that much quicker. Also, mine are pre-wired for mains and DMX so as I build up the truss, all I need do is connect several male / female connectors and hey presto - a fully wired truss ready to hang lights on.

As for stability, the weight of two martin wizards bearing down on the whole structure is enough to keep things stable

Cheers for the input.

How do you attach the brackets to the stand itself please?
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.

Quote Originally Posted by ian8limelight View Post
    How do you attach the brackets to the stand itself please?
    Dear Lord, please help me to resist the temptation to reply " with a mig welder" .

Ian, I'm sure there must be some piccies of the brackets on here somewhere. ( Though I've no idea what search terms would find them )

Basically, there should be some holes at either side of your stand with threaded rivets in. You attach a tube holder to either side with thumbscrews, the uprights go in these, and you're good to go. Simples.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I use the rear position at it seems easier to attach the uplights single handed,

Its 2 thumb screws to attach the tubes and then a bolt and thumbscrew to put the pole into the tubes. Personally I leave the tubes attached to the poles for transport and I don't bother with the overhead truss anyhow so lighting just takes 5 minutes to sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Basically, there should be some holes at either side of your stand with threaded rivets in. You attach a tube holder to either side with thumbscrews, the uprights go in these, and you're good to go. Simples.
    Almost right pete after feedback on the original pro we no longer use the threaded rivets in favour of having a nice bolt attached that cant spin So it's the same method of attaching just a bolt in place of where the rivets were.

Stability wise the DSB V2 and micro should be more stable than a normal deckstand with overheads due to it's angled side pieces which give it a bigger overall footprint.
    Last edited by jamesh; 22-02-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    UK EVENT SERVICES.CO.UK
    * Photo Video Guestbooks & Video Booths *

Based in Worcestershire and covering across the UK - Tel: 08456 43 48 49