Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: Is my backup PA FIT FOR PURPOSE?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I spent every penny on the main rig. I have no backup.

2 6.45%
  • I spent loads on the main rig, my backup is small, and for emergencies only.

8 25.81%
  • I spent similar amounts on both, my backup is adequate.

5 16.13%
  • I bought two identical PA's.

2 6.45%
  • My PA is pick'n'mix. I use the most suitable for the gig and venue.

14 45.16%
  • I'm strapped for cash. My main PA ought to be bigger, and it's too small too often.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main PA versus backup PA.

Default Main PA versus backup PA.

Inspired by an exchange elsewhere.

What is your policy on the relative costs and performance of you main PA to your backup PA? Did you spend every last penny ( and possibly then some ) on the main kit, meaning that your backup had to be cost conscious, and possibly undergunned for many jobs? Or did you buy two identical ones? Or if you're active, just one active cab, since two are unlikely to die simultaneously?

Please post your policy honestly, and the reasons why. ( preferably with a brief compariosn of the kit, and an explanation why you bought what you did.) If it turns out that Darren has called this one correctly, I shall publicly apologise to him on the matter.

Right folks, I've got a poll to compose. It's anonymous, so no names, no pack drill.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 10-03-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well I used to have a lot of backup (Peter knows as he came with me to pick up 6 cabs (2 x 15" bins, 2 x 15" mid range cabs, 2 x 12" mid range cabs and 1 amp).

I used these happily for many years but the 15" mids were hardly ever used. I did buy another amp and active crossover to improve the frequency distribution (and amp load) but eventually sold the lot and invested in 2 x RCF ART 322a's which are more than adequate for all the gigs I do.

I don't have any backup speakers any more but (touch wood) hope I never do, If all else fails I can run on one cab and switch the mixer to mono (not ideal but a get-me-through-it scenario).

My backup rig is almost identical to my main PA. The digital playout and mixer are identical to my main rig. The active speakers are the same brand as my main rig, but the backup ones are a different model (they have the same power output as the main ones). I tend to carry two spare actives with me. Simply for aesthetic purposes as I wouldnt want to use two different looking speakers should one of my main rig ones fail.

I carry a single RCF active cab as backup when I am using the full RCF rig. When using the Bose L1S I carry a pair of RCF Active cabs as backup.

Well I got 4 setups near enough exactly the same main 6 rcf active tops and 6 rcf base bins and 2 db tops and 2 db base bins, But this runs out with the rest of my kit including play out system and led curtains etc.

My kit has grown over the years as I buy a fair bit but I've never actually sold anything over the years. Because of this, I'm able to put together a rig to suit the venue meaning everything leftover is backup. My most-used playout consists of a powered mixer (ie mixer and amp combined), as I find this more convenient, with laptop and dual-CD and I carry a pair of 12" spare speakers, spare powered mixer and spare laptop. Lighting is always mix and match (although with the new deckstand I'm trying to get a more permament combination on the lighting overhead especially as I'm now getting to grips with DMX) and I've plenty of lighting as backup.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I carry a spare mixer, laptop and active 15" speaker for cases of emergency. I'm not too fussed about bringing spare lighting although I always have lighting with me that doesn't geit used as I often don't know what setup I'm going to use until I get to the venue. I have had one equipment failure( laptop) in the last twenty years and long may it continue

I used an active qsc k12 system so if one cab goes I will just run from the other.

Playout wise if my laptop goes down I firstly have a bootable backup if its the harddrive or I would use my Ipad.
    Controller wise if that goes I have a small Alto zmx52 5 chan mixer that I can plug my laptop in to and a mic and would run DJay from my laptop.
    Again if both laptop and controller went down I would just use my small mixer and DJ from my Ipad.
    I have more than enough music on there to get my through a night

Matt

Am I the only one who sees a bit of a flaw in your argument on this and the other thread, Peter?

You seem to be assuming that a cheaper back-up will be smaller

I agree with Darren that any back-up has to be capable of doing the job (otherwise it's expensive no matter what the price), but that doesn't mean that you have to spend the same - eg: you could have a PA of comparable power, but not as highly-regarded make. Of course, it depends on the makes/models concerned, but most of us agree that, once you get past the fit for purpose threshold, most members of the public wouldn't notice the difference unless played side-by-side.

If your back-up is 'smaller' then it won't be able to cover jobs that your main system does, so what's the point of having it at all? (...hence my saying it would be expensive no matter what the price as it's money wasted.)

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Am I the only one who sees a bit of a flaw in your argument on this and the other thread, Peter?

You seem to be assuming that a cheaper back-up will be smaller
    Never say never. Your logic is unassailable, low cost does not automatically dictate low output. However, I'd be inclined to believe that £200 pair of Skytecs, or legendary Prosound won't have the output of £2000 worth of QSC or Rcf. The logical answer would be to buy a secondhand rig of reliable quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    I agree with Darren that any back-up has to be capable of doing the job .
    And yet four out of ten voters admit to having no backup, or one that's too small. It makes very little sense to me, because as we all say so often, a Disco isn't a Disco without sound, but it can be a disco without lights. A backup PA big enough to be fit for purpose is vital, in my opinion. According to the poll, not everyone does.

While I'm on the subject, one or two folk appear not to have quite grasped the question. It refers only to your PA system, not lights, laptops, or other associated bits. And having two active cabs doesn't mean you have backup because you can finish the night on one, it means you have redundancy. Having three active cabs is having backup.

I'm delighted to see so many folk using a pick'n'mix policy. I maintain that no one size fits all, so choosing the most suitable kit for the venue/function makes sense, as well as meaning that the bits you don't use are your backup. A week ago, I used a six box rig for a function. On Saturday, I shall again use a six box rig, but it will consist of different boxes. On Sunday, I'll use two boxes. Horses for courses.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk