Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Active or Not... Help!

Quote Originally Posted by starlight-party View Post
    So after much deliberation and research I decided to go with the alto ts115a speakers. They sound pretty decent when set up right with a decent eq, clip light does flick a bit when you try to push them.
    Hmmm. Sounds like you're trying to get Ferrari performance out of a Ford Cortina. By the time the clip lights are flickering on John's RCFs, it's way too loud usually.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight-party View Post
    So my next question is bass bins, to get that extra oomph, and better sound out the tops I know I need some bass bins, If i am right in thinking I would also need a seperate active crossover unit or do most active bass bins come with a built in cross over to filter out the top end frequencies?
    The simple answer is that you will need a crossover, but the best way is to have it built into the active sub. Remember that it's possible to run either one or two tops from one sub, as long as it's got a decent crossover fitted. The cheaper ones will omit the crossover as a cost saving exercise.

Which ones to buy? Now let me say for a start that I'm not the oracle on these matters, but your tops would struggle to keep up with a pair of RCF subs. One might easily be more than enough. Try to borrow one for a gig, and see how it goes. Other ones I'd have a look at would be DB, and a brand I tend to like a lot, W-Audio. That's about the limit of my knowledge.

Golden rule: Try before you buy. One bin of any kind may be enough for you. May. This is why we advocate trying them first. Bear in mind that if you think you really must have two, you don't have to buy them both at once. With actives, you can manage perfectly well with one, till funds allow the purchase of a second one.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 14-06-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

well, 4 gigs in and one speaker blew. It was not even clipping and not even close to peaking on the mixer. So basically I bought cheapish and its bitten me on the arse.

I am thinking of getting some credit to buy something a bit better, hopefully something that will sound good and not blow out. I am really pee'd off about this. The reviews were pretty decent for the Alto's, but now looking on EBAY it looks like they are coming back as refurbs for really cheap prices, which to me says lots were returned.

So back to the drawing board and £500 lighter!
    'Play something I like, I don't like this one, play some wham' - My favourite Drunken woman request (5th time up to the booth)
    www.starlight-party.co.uk

Well guys, again I am going to play 'Devil's Advocate'..............AGAIN !!!

I will link to a thread I posted a very long time ago.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ighlight=thump

In a nutshell, yes it's 'Horses for courses' but I STILL stand by the comments made in the thread. I am currently using and have been using 4 pair of these for approx 18 months on hire etc. And not a SINGLE failure. I have used them personally in smaller gigs etc and cannot fault them.
    The feedback from posts of 'Doubters' on other forums have also been surprisingly positive after having experience with them. Quite similar to the old CLASS - D (Mansfield) debate.................'Cue Pete' !!!

And by the way I normally use 'Sherman Audio' on my main rig.

No these cabs are no SM450 but fantastic for the cash, hammered used and abused by one man and his dog for the last 18+ months and not so much as a blown fuse !! would plump for these EVERY time in comparison to the 'Thumps' or Alto ......................................'Cue the doubters' !!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    There's nothiing wrong with the Thumps and Altos, but they just won't do the job you want. You'll end up spending small sums of money many times, rather than a large wodge once.
    A painful and costly lesson to learn. The reason some of us know these things is that we've played this game before. Many many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Plucked View Post
    Well guys, again I am going to play 'Devil's Advocate'..............AGAIN !!!

I will link to a thread I posted a very long time ago.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ighlight=thump

The feedback from posts of 'Doubters' on other forums have also been surprisingly positive after having experience with them. Quite similar to the old CLASS - D (Mansfield) debate.................'Cue Pete' !!!
    And as if by magic, here he is. What do I think?

QTX, I have absolutely no experience at all, so can't say yea or nay. I don't think I've heard any. Must try to.

Class D? Well as we all know, the company's no longer trading, but all my cabs are still running fine. Some have had work on them, but nothing major.

Nowadays, from what I have seen and heard, for anyone on a budget, I'd recommend W Audio or old Peavey kit. Mind you, I am road testing something which against all odds, I'm growing to like. Purchased as monitors, but beginning to be used as frontline regularly. Watch this space.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk