Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potentially dodgy first dances

Default Potentially dodgy first dances

Ever come across them?

Did you try to sway the bride and groom away from them or did you just go with it as it was their request?

I've recently been asked to play Golddigger for a first dance and I'm going to be honest and say, it's not sitting comfortably with me.

Apparently they've got a dance routine to it but it could easily be seen as showing the finger to one of the families or something similar and inevitably the guy who actually plays the song will be the first one people come to asking why did you play that for a first dance?

What's your thoughts? I don't think it would be right for me to try and sway them away from it as it's their choice and if theyve got a dance routine, I doubt they'll change it anyway but I was just wondering what your thoughts were

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Ever come across them?

Did you try to sway the bride and groom away from them or did you just go with it as it was their request?

I've recently been asked to play Golddigger for a first dance and I'm going to be honest and say, it's not sitting comfortably with me.

Apparently they've got a dance routine to it but it could easily be seen as showing the finger to one of the families or something similar and inevitably the guy who actually plays the song will be the first one people come to asking why did you play that for a first dance?

What's your thoughts? I don't think it would be right for me to try and sway them away from it as it's their choice and if theyve got a dance routine, I doubt they'll change it anyway but I was just wondering what your thoughts were
    The First Dance is probably the only song of the night where people will realise it's not the DJ's decision - so I wouldn't worry about that.

But why not ask them why they've chosen it and if there's a little story behind it there's your personalised introduction!

agree entirely with Funkymook. Just play the clean edit. It's lyrically such an obvious anti-wedding song, I'd expect most people will get the joke.

Yep. Specially as they've worked out a routine to it. Should be fun. Don't worry about it.

I was asked to play the exact same song as a first dance at a recent wedding, I sat them down and politely asked why this particular song, The reply was " coz we want to upset the oldies" needless to say I got them to go for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I was asked to play the exact same song as a first dance at a recent wedding, I sat them down and politely asked why this particular song, The reply was " coz we want to upset the oldies" needless to say I got them to go for something else.
    No offence to your clients but why would you purposely do something to annoy anyone at your wedding never mind the parents, grandparents and so on.

I would agree with the others that it's the couple's big day and the first dance is one of the biggest aspects of that. Couples don't just choose a first dance out of thin air - it's a song that means something to them. For example, I was asked to play a smoochy track (can't remember what it was now) and then to cut it and bring Meatloaf's Bat Of Out Hell at the first wedding I ever did working for myself. And it went down really well. And, last year, I was asked to do a choppy mix of DJ Sammy's Heaven (Candlelight Mix) with The Sugarhill Gang's Apache. Apparently it was two tracks that meant something to the couple and they'd worked out a dance rountine to it. It was quite fun to watch, too!

My point it is that I'd play pretty much any track they ask for as the first dance - and use clean versions.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Couples don't just choose a first dance out of thin air
    I had a last min wedding Saturday which the bride and groom actually ended up asking me "what do you reckon?" about an hour before they wanted their first dance.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I had a last min wedding Saturday which the bride and groom actually ended up asking me "what do you reckon?" about an hour before they wanted their first dance.
    Roy C - Shotgun Wedding springs to mind.

---

But as said above they will have probably spent plenty of time thinking about what they want and why they want it, I don't feel it's our place to try and talk them out of anything they may have decided. Could have a deep routed meaning or anything and none of our business.

Have had one or two strange first dance requests over the many years but the only one I ever mentioned to the B&G was when they asked for Nillson 'Without you'. I said it's a great song but quite sad - when they asked why I said its about a person leaving, possibly even passing away. They were shocked and said they'd only ever listened to the bit 'I can't live without, if living is without you' and thought it was romantic. They did change the song. Often wonder if I should have said that or not - and have never done it again with any first dance choice - as people on here have said, it's their call.