Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Rig Setup - Opinions

Default Big Rig Setup - Opinions

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on a new setup for bigger venues, as of yet I haven't purchased anything so your input is greatly appreciated.

Judging this on a) value for money, b) effectiveness as a complete setup c) overall asethetic

My proposed kit is as follows:

Ultimax goalpost stand 2.5m height x 3m width (supports upto 50kg evenly spread) £309

Evenly spread 4x ADJ tripar profile £260 [1]

second fixture in on each opposing end 2x ADJ X-move 25R (1 either end) £660 [2]

2x chauvet swarm 4 £180 [3]

1x laserworld els - 200rgb, acting as a centrepiece £220 (or similar, although I do own one) [4]

LEDJ tri LED starcloth 3x2m £459

4ft deckstand £89 (existing)

LEDJ tri LED booth starcloth £260 (existing)

All lights hung from the ultimax stand in the following configuration, as per numbers provided in square brackets.

1 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 1

Total cost £2437 (cost to upgrade to myself £1868)

All lights would be under dmx control in custom created chases & shows to control/influence the timing of all lights ensuring it isn't a free for all with all lights on at once.

Naturally if there is any way to save/replace fixtures with more effective units (even at additional cost) I would be willing to hear however I wouldn't like to spend much more than £2000 as a cost to supplement what I already have.

Your thoughts & critique are as always welcome.

A 200mw RGB laser would not make a good centrepiece. Way too weak and would likely have jerky stepper motors. If you can't spend money on a really eye catching laser then best to avoid.

With the caveat about the laser taken on board, I'd say you're not too far wide of the mark. Since I'm not a fan of moving heads, a couple of Acme Samurai/Warrior might be my choice. The ADJ Tripars are brilliant, I have a couple myself and love them.

Thinking aloud, ( and I appreciate that a radical rethink may be required ) a Powerbar comes in at around the same price ( from our German cousins ), and will give a fractionally higher light output. ( 28 LEDs against 20 )
    So, then we could put a Warrior either side, and a laser either side of those. Roughly the same cost ( as the laser would be about the same cost as the two swarms )

I'm not pretending that my suggestion is better, merely that it's an option. The only question I have is how much you need a rig that size when the trend is for smaller more discreet ones, but that's simply conjecture.

I await other views and suggestions, it's an interesting topic.

I can get my Ultimax overhead to 3 metres wide, and it will accept a powerbar, two EFX 500s, two lasers, and if I'm trying to fill the gaps, two Source moonflowers.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The only question I have is how much you need a rig that size when the trend is for smaller more discreet ones, but that's simply conjecture.
    This is my thinking too.

If I was scaling up it would be in the sound, not the light department.

Modern lights are designed so that you can fill a room with a relatively small amount, in fact the bigger the room, the better the effect generally - might not be as sharp at further distances but it'll have a wider spread.

Trying to visualise your set up I'd say it'll be too busy imho.

Clients are savvy these days, particularly wedding a corporate and they want a DJ set up that is tiday and nice to look at, remember, what we see from the booth out is completely different to what people see looking at us and each other on the dancefloor...

Besides, superfluous that adds load journeys or set up and tear down time is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    This is my thinking too.

If I was scaling up it would be in the sound, not the light department.

Modern lights are designed so that you can fill a room with a relatively small amount, in fact the bigger the room, the better the effect generally - might not be as sharp at further distances but it'll have a wider spread.

Trying to visualise your set up I'd say it'll be too busy imho.

Clients are savvy these days, particularly wedding a corporate and they want a DJ set up that is tiday and nice to look at, remember, what we see from the booth out is completely different to what people see looking at us and each other on the dancefloor...

Besides, superfluous that adds load journeys or set up and tear down time is a waste.

really got to disagree not all clients want small and discrete, there is a time and a place for everything.

yes i do small and discreet like a lot of other people but i also do a large rig and anything in between, the difference is the large rig commands a much bigger fee.

the days of one disco fits all have long gone, you have to be flexible and tailor things accordingly.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Might just be me but I think for a BIG rig you should only use single beam lighting - Scanners, moving heads etc along with par can type effects and lasers.
    With maybe one room filling light (or a mirror ball).

This is a good example ... although they have quite a lot of scanners which is almost messy - http://www.mobilediscos.info/platinum.php

Lasers look good as well ... but obviously they need the smoke which 4/5 times you can't use

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    really got to disagree not all clients want small and discreet,
    And for everything else, there's Mastercard. Oops, slip of the keyboard, I meant Mobile DJ Cumbria.

yes i do small and discreet like a lot of other people but i also do a large rig and anything in between, the difference is the large rig commands a much bigger fee.
    And a far more robust power supply. And ladders. And heavy lifting gear.
    the days of one disco fits all have long gone, you have to be flexible and tailor things accordingly.
    In absolute seriousness, a fact which seems to escape some.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Might just be me but I think for a BIG rig you should only use single beam lighting - Scanners, moving heads etc along with par can type effects and lasers.
    Apart from the lasers, I agree.

See, I would almost agree with that, but...I do a local venue, holds up to 120 in 2 small rooms and I use 2 x Wizards, 2 x QSC K10s and 1 x RCF sub. I also do the Waldorf Hilton which holds up to 400 seated and I use...well, the same with an additional sub and it is loud enough and the Wizards cover where they need to.

The Waldorf rarely give you a big stage to work on, not when I do it anyway. I only use 2 nexo ps15s and a nexo sub with 2 quadzillas on stands.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!