Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos / Videos at gigs

I do find it a bit unprofessional, especially going away from your booth for the purpose of making a video. However its something you need to do if you want those pictures. I tend to ask for photos after the event if they are willing to share. Unfortunately only 1 in 5 ever comes back with photos and they can sometimes be of no use as they don't know what type. Of photos we want.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    Going back to the question of video, a common decency is to let the audience know that you will be filming the event,
    I have never seen a videographer do this?

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    However its something you need to do if you want those pictures.
    You should not have to - why not bring a dedicated photographer or video person with you
    I am doing this as of this month as its something clients have said they would be interested in and I also get great footage of me hosting and Djing.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Every now and then I will take the odd photo of the Bride & Groom and if I get a good one I will actually tell them on the night and send it to them.
    If I am supplying Uplighting or a Dance Floor then I will take photos when I have set up if they look good but just lately everyone has had Lilac Uplighting and I have lots of photos with that colour already.

I don't agree with coming away from the DJ Booth and videoing people. We are there to do our jobs as DJ's at the end of the day so we should stick to that unless you have been booked to do that too in which case I would say that someone else on your behalf should be doing it if the customer has paid for the additional service.
    Yes, it's nice to have some great footage and photos for marketing etc but if it comes across as intrusive then I think it's unprofessional personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Yes, it's nice to have some great footage and photos for marketing etc but if it comes across as intrusive then I think it's unprofessional personally.
    The whole of the matter neatly and succintly summed up, for me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    You should not have to - why not bring a dedicated photographer or video person with you
    I am doing this as of this month as its something clients have said they would be interested in and I also get great footage of me hosting and Djing.
    I have done this one a couple of occasions - given my friend a few quid to take some photos and those photos are the ones I use the most so worth it but unfortunately he is very busy now and is always doing photos on friday and Saturday so I need a new photo guy!! I have asked on a couple of occasions if the client minds asking the photographer to get a couple of pictures and they've agreed, taken the pictures but they never send them over to me even when I offer to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I don't agree with coming away from the DJ Booth and videoing people.
    Indeed, surely customer who see videos of people dancing quite up close and personal will think - do I want a DJ running around filming my guests all night? I'm happy to take the odd crowd shot when people aren't looking at me otherwise it could be embarrassing for anybody who doesn't like their picture being taken.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I don't often leave the console to film anything, in fact I think I have done it once during a memorable full floor dance routine. But I have a camera mounted on the stand that I'll use to video the first dance and any other notable bits of the night. This is put on a nicely customised lightscribe disc and sent to the B & G afterwards. So far all have appreciated the sentiment.
    Though I did have a gentleman come up and ask me the other night "What are you filming this for?" after I told him his tone completely changed and he thought it was a great idea. I suppose I enjoy doing it as we are in a unique position, vantage point wise to get some cracking footage, I never really considered the wider implications.
    Its a shame one or two less than perfect experiences lead to you stopping altogether. Shouldn't it be a case of majority rules and you'll never please all the people all the time? Get the camera back out

FlyBase Discotheque
    Phone : 07795625425
    Email : [email protected]
    Web : www.flybasedj.co.uk
    or
    Find me on Facebook

Have a look through some of these.

https://www.facebook.com/newforestwedding

i show all brides the pics after and they have all loved it.
    i must say I am going to hire someone else to do the video from now on as I have missed some excellent moments.
    And it is unprofessional to be videoing and photographing IMO.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

You could put up a sign saying something like this:

NOTICE OF FILMING
    This area is being used to photograph and record video
    and filmfootage in connection with the promotional and
    publicity campaign of the series __________________.
    By your presence in this area, you acknowledge that you
    have been informed that you may be photographed and
    recorded as part of the release in home video and/or any
    media now known or here after devised, in perpetuity
    throughout the universe and the advertising and
    publicity there of. Further, by your presence here, you
    grant your permission for your likeness and voice to be
    included there in without compensation, credit or other
    consideration. If you do not wish to be photographed,
    recorded, or appear underthese conditions, you should
    leave this area immediately. Thank you for your
    cooperation.
    That should solve any issues. Put them near the dance floor. Although some events may not need it.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I have never seen a videographer do this?
    What the videographer does is his/her own look-out, I done it out of professional courtesy because my videos were for promotional purposes. Plus of course the videographer is there for the sole purpose of recording the day for the bride & groom, so his presence is generally accepted without question, whereas a DJ wandering round with a camera.......

I take the odd photo at gigs but they are subtly taken, and I will always concentrate on DJ'ing. I do have a condition stated within my terms and conditions, that I may take the odd photo of the event for marketing purposes, but do everything I can to not take images with Children visible in the shots. That's unless they are paying for a photographic add on then I have a person specifically provided to take photo's, they are then given a full copy of all images, and if I intended to use any we would inform them which ones we might be using.