Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lighting...and clients expectations.

Default Lighting...and clients expectations.

I had a client meeting last night. He asked about the look of the setup and types of lighting I used. We got discussing the overall look and equipment I used. His reply was "thank god you don't use those lights with coloured dots, or those lasers with dots, I had a headache after a recent night out with those laser dots". I assured him that I don't own any effects of that type.
    I used to own Impossibled's though, which was coloured dot effects. I've never owned a diffraction laser but quite like the effect they give, and certainly never heard of them causing headaches.

Also, Saturday pasts wedding. Fantastic night, really eclectic playlist that was a lot of fun. However, similar scenario...she asked lots of questions about the lighting. She stated she hated disco lights, but wanted just a nice colour wash. Due to a very quick room turnaround mood lighting was out of the question so I went just with a powerbar pointed up to the high ceiling, on a single colour all evening as per her request. and the moving heads static, single colour. So no movement whatsoever and a single colour all evening. I was a bit dubious in advance as I think the lighting adds to the overall ambiance. The evening was absolutely electric though, and the lack of lighting made no difference at all to the amount of dancing.

Anyone else ever had their client specifically asking for a certain type of lighting effect not to be used?

Or requested limited or no lighting at all?

In a nutshell pretty much the same experiences here with many of my couples. Funny enough uplighting has been very popular this year yet when it comes to the "disco" lighting most people don't ask nor really care.

Lasers and dots are usually mentioned by photographers who hate them (I can see why) and venue managers. If you're using a cluster laser though it should really be pointed upwards towards the ceiling really so not sure if that would cause headaches.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I only really use wash lighting. My main light in a 4bar flex but I have just purchased 2 Acme micro fusion moving heads which are washes.
    Some of the best nights I have had have been on just a couple of uplighters.

Dots look a bit cheap now (IMO)

Shaun,
    I've had a few parties where they've asked for very minimal lights. One had a few guests that were sensitive to flashing lights and the Bride wasn't too worried about lighting. We stuck to slow fading wash.

I generally ask if they have any preferences to lighting, we've got options from a few floor-based led Pars to a few Wizards+movers.

I've not really noticed any difference in the success of the party vs the amount or type of lights we thrown in.

I'm not a fan of the dotty lights, if they have some motion (ie Jelly Dome etc), then its much better, but then again I'm not a client... Given a choice, I'd much prefer decent music selection than a wizz bang lightshow.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

Yes same as you guys really and yes Photography wise Laser clusters is a no no really. Although if you set up your Camera correctly you can get away with it. Yes Uplighters have been very popular this year and next year looks to be the Same

It really depends. A few weeks ago I did a civil partnership and one of the partners wanted the full bhoona and was disappointed when I told him i wouldn't be able to use smoke.

On the flipside I had a meeting on Sunday with a client and had to convince her that she'd need at least some lighting or else the dancefloor would be too dark / they'd have to keep the house lights on.

She's quite happy to let me fire a few Mega Go bars onto the dancefloor to wash it and do a bit of moodlighting with the rest. I've got a very similar situation in December though the girl did want lighting, she wanted it to be low key and classy so I'll be doing something similar.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't even see why dots or lasers would be an issue at all, turn them off before the first dance it done and you're golden.

I regularly get very positive comments on my lightshow. The laser show in particular gets a very positive response but the lasers aren't the cluster type and I don't have dotty lights.

I often get requested to use particular lights and occasionally get asked not to use strobe (I never have) or fast flashing colour changing effects. The only led lights I have are moodlights and moving heads which have gobos So no dots. The laser is a 1500 mw with a divergence safety lens from Pangolin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SG1rkgM29hE

Surely the only people who are concerned with what actual lights you've got are other DJs! 99.9% of the punters couldn't care less, just as long as there's flashing lights... and they're not pointing straight into their eyes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djeddie View Post
    Surely the only people who are concerned with what actual lights you've got are other DJs! 99.9% of the punters couldn't care less, just as long as there's flashing lights... and they're not pointing straight into their eyes!!!
    At one time I'd agree with you. My experiences and those of others in this thread are showing a slight shift in that thinking (for some clients anyway).