Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DJ's being licenced, just like doormen licence

i know

maybe it would be worth getting "caught", they might tell me what i need.
    (not really Mr council officer)

Steve yes you are right at present about not covering mobile disco's.
    But to take equipment into and on to a venues they have to have P.A.T and to use them by another person not employed by the venue that person or company has to have PLI. that is was the laws are about.
    The govenment what to take this further but have asked local councils to get their venues right and monitor it and feed back infomation on how it works then I am told that next year further changes will take place.
    I am not saying this is just aimed at dj's it will go deeper than that.
    In about 5 years time the dj from the outback will go, but so will alot more the person who just helps out etc. will have to be covered etc. the list is endless.
    I am not sure about how this will span out, all I can see is the prices will go up to cover the cost of a new dimention.

Boy, the council want to look closer to home, most of their venues leave a lot to be desired.
    But a license that is affordable and easy to get, and covers everything, can only be a good thing.Wether that will ever happen, i doubt it!
    I,m off to bed to think of such a license, i,ll inform you all of my findings in the morning. night night
    Last edited by Thames Valley Discos; 29-10-2006 at 11:24 PM.

Pete - first of all, it's Angela, not Steve!

Secondly - neither PAT, nor PLI are actual LEGAL requirements as it stands. Yes, the Council can insist on any contractor having them if they are to come into their own premises - ie COUNCIL OWNED VENUES (just as any venue owner can dictate rules in their own venue, so long as they don't conradict the law), but, as far as I am aware, the have no powers to dictate to other venue owners in this regard or enter other premises to inspect.

Then, there is the point that we seem to be back to PAT & PLI again..... is that all this Licence/Register would be about? In which case there would seem to be very little point. The PLI held by any venue will almost certainly already stipulate that any conractor they have coming on site must have their own PLI, and some stipulate PAT - this is the reason that venues ask to see your paperwork: the fact that others don't ask for it just means that they aren't covering their backs on their own insurance!

ok maybe im over simplifying this but im a simple person (no comments please) would it be possible for venues to take the details of discos at each event and forward this list to the council on say a monthly basis who then could check them out. via say a producer like the police do present this document this document and this documents at the council offices within say 14 days or face a fine? then everyone gets put on a database when your bits of paper run out ... so when the name crops up again they cross check and can tell so you dont get a letter every week?

probably the rubbishest idea in the world but it is 7.40am
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

i think the council are short of cash as it is, without creating a new department just to check on us guys/gals.

As I understand it, Councils under the granting of PELs (Public Entertainment Licences) already have the power to remove a venues licence if they are using suppliers without PLI and PAT, but its up to the local council whether they employ anyone to enforce it. I've worked in the Town Hall locally, presented my certs and been greeted with totally blank looks- it may happen eventually, but will probably be enforced after some poor bugger has been electrocuted or such like!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    As I understand it, Councils under the granting of PELs (Public Entertainment Licences) already have the power to remove a venues licence if they are using suppliers without PLI and PAT, but its up to the local council whether they employ anyone to enforce it.
    It wouldn't take too much for the existing licencing department to expand to take this into account as well as alcohol / entertainment etc as they hadle both already.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries