Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alto TS115a Peaking into red

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    Depends how hard you are pushing them really. When you say heavy bass, do you mean that you are cranking up the bass on your mixer. If you are, the Alto's aren't that good at low frequencies so you might just be driving them too hard
    Hi no all eq is set to flat and i've not used the contour switch yet, I think they sound great just a bit put off with the flickering peak light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Are you running XLRs or 1/4 inch into them?

I run my laptop at full volume, mixer at unity, xlr's into the Alto's and usually have it set to between 10 and 12 o clock and it's never clipped once...
    For now I need to use 1/4 inch jacks as my mixer doesn't have xlr out

Pete,
    What QTX's do you have the QRC15a's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Plucked View Post
    Pete,
    What QTX's do you have the QRC15a's ?
    No. mine are smaller, ( ooh er missus!!! ) and different. QTX QS12a, allegedly the more expensive range. Curiously, by the specs they're fractionally heavier and quieter than the QRC's.
    Two mic inputs, one line input, one line out, no echo on the mics, which the QRC apparently have. With the controls on the back of them, you could plug an ipod and a mic into one, slave across to the second, and have a basic working rig. I'm happy with them for what I use them for. I respect their limits.

I did have some Wharfedale Titans, which I grew to love, but they were the older model, which have an inherent weakness in the amps. Shame, cos they were loud, and I really liked them. They beat the QTX out of sight.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JSideFx View Post
    For now I need to use 1/4 inch jacks as my mixer doesn't have xlr out
    Try some 1/4" to XLR cables.

I'm running RCA to XLR (my mixer doesn't even have a 1/4" out never mind XLR) and as I said, I've never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    No. mine are smaller, ( ooh er missus!!! ) and different. QTX QS12a, allegedly the more expensive range. Curiously, by the specs they're fractionally heavier and quieter than the QRC's.
    Two mic inputs, one line input, one line out, no echo on the mics, which the QRC apparently have. With the controls on the back of them, you could plug an ipod and a mic into one, slave across to the second, and have a basic working rig. I'm happy with them for what I use them for. I respect their limits.

I did have some Wharfedale Titans, which I grew to love, but they were the older model, which have an inherent weakness in the amps. Shame, cos they were loud, and I really liked them. They beat the QTX out of sight.
    I have been using 6 pairs of the QTX QRC 15a's on hire stock over the last 2 years and have been faultless to be honest, and I have said in a previous thread they urinated all over the active 'Thumps' we used to have. They will always get a slating because of the brand. But based on experience with the product, they get a BIG thumbs up from me !!

Default Curiouser and curiouser?

I say this, because a well respected member happened to acquire a pair of the 12" version of these in exchange for some " cosmetically challenged " RCF 310A cabs. In view of everything we've seen written about them, he didn't expect to keep them for long. A fortnight ago, he ventured down here with them to put them up against my QTX twelves. I know exactly what the QTX are capable of, and fully expected them to hold their own easily against the Altos, with the reports of early clipping that have been, and still are surfacing.
    My esteemed colleague had however tested his Altos thoroughly prior to bringing them here, and had a fair inkling of what would happen, the smug git. They blew the QTX out of the water completely. ( Mind you, the Altos have much bigger amps inside, and a bigger price tag, so I'm not heartbroken ) The only way we could get the clip lights to flash was to wind my VMS up a long way, and at that point, we were making a lot of ( very sweet sounding ) noise. Far more than you's expect to get out of a pair of budget cabs that size. I'd say that they were not far behind the Titans I used to have. I was so impressed that I'm currently hoping to get a pair for myself.

Now the Curious bit. The ones we tested are not the ones shown in the previous picture. I attach a picture below. Ours had one line input, one link out, and one gain control. There may even be two versions of this model, as ours have fans fitted, but there may be some with heatsinks instead. As I said, Curiouser and Curiouser.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Two versions of the same speaker!!
    I loved the idea of the Alto when I bought them, But they were vey unreliable
    The same speaker had a Pro version which looked exactly the same but only one input as per last post!
    New design is now available so will see how they fair!

Excalibur, the speaker you are referring to is the TS115A MK1 with the single line input. The MK2 has two inputs as per the picture you've posted.

I've purchased a pair of the TS115A MK2. I've seen lots of complaints about the speakers having problems but to be honest I think it is poor understanding about the line/mic control and the fact that Alto haven't split it into two controls. As a result many people are damaging their speakers by turning the gain up too high.

Quote Originally Posted by itydntk View Post
    Excalibur, the speaker you are referring to is the TS115A MK1 with the single line input. The MK2 has two inputs as per the picture you've posted.

I've purchased a pair of the TS115A MK2. I've seen lots of complaints about the speakers having problems but to be honest I think it is poor understanding about the line/mic control and the fact that Alto haven't split it into two controls. As a result many people are damaging their speakers by turning the gain up too high.
    I think you might be right.

I've read a lot about people blowing them or them clipping but I've got the 2 input version and I've only seen it clip once and that was because I was pushing way too much on mic gain through the desk.

As an aside, for anyone with a bit more tech savvy than myself - is there any particular reason why you can't have the same signal (say from a XLR Y cable or both of your mixer outs) running into both of the inputs on each speaker? I'm thinking it would definitely fatten out the sound and no doubt increase the volume a bit.

Just wondering if there's some sort of crossing of the streams type dealie that I'm unaware of that would blow the thing up and unleash Viga the Carpathian on sunny Glasgow,