I think wires are getting crossed.

is she a scumbag? If she's intentionally and fraudulently said a cheque has been stolen in order to have it bounce then yes. I'm sure this would be a legal matter too. Has she booked someone knowing that she was going to withhold payment? Yes ergo she is a scumbag.

Does she deserve to be taught a lesson for this? In my opinion yes, if that means getting dragged through small claims and having to pay up plus expenses then so be it.

That's the extent of what I mean by hammering her. Any correspondance should rightly so be kept formal and legally minded or else it has the potential to end badly. I've had to do something similar before though not for the business and the best way to deal with it is keep it to the point and not let any emotion or desire to take pot shots at them come into things.

I'm wondering if the wording of "in my opinion" has any bearing on whether it would be considered libel (not that I think this person will have the IQ points to rub together and think of this as a potential get out) as according to her bank, the cheque she handed out was reported stolen so if this is the case, there's no other possible reason for it other than she intentionally and fruadulently did this to halt the payment.

Either way, if there's anything we can learn from this one: GET PAID WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE EVENT!!!