Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless DMX retro fit of my fixtures!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Yeuch. JST connectors. Hate these with a passion I normally reserve for the Grease megamix. Try to solder the wire back onto the crimp is what I'd do. JST connectors are a bitch to crimp even with the correct tool, let alone with small nosed pliers or whatever - hence why wires are always falling out of them.
    Yes they are not very good quality. I will solder then.

Shame you live in Durram I need someone to show me how to do things really.
    Youtube is OK but not great.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Yes they are not very good quality. I will solder then.

Shame you live in Durram I need someone to show me how to do things really.
    Youtube is OK but not great.
    Heheh. For the right fee I could be a mobile soldering tutor

Heheh. For the right fee I could be a mobile soldering tutor
    I will get the lights out tomorrow or Wed and have a look. Its not too much hassle to just plug in one of the par lights, but I have always been about making life easy for myself as every little thing takes up valuable time.

I am thinking of getting the quad phase HP's if it works on my triphases.

I will get the lights out tomorrow or Wed and have a look. Its not too much hassle to just plug in one of the par lights, but I have always been about making life easy for myself as every little thing takes up valuable time.

I am thinking of getting the quad phase HP's if it works on my triphases.

I only have (counts on fingers... ) er... yay many DMX fixtures & I'm starting to get mighty tired of plugging XLRs in now so have started considering wireless conversions. If you have any joy I wouldn't mind seeing a link to the boards you've bought.

I've also got a little side project going on at work (keeps me looking busy when I'm waiting for things to heat up & cool down) .. dunno if I'll ever get round to making it though.. optoisolated, FTDI based USB-DMX converter with (fanfare!) no less than three outputs. Not 3 universes, just one split 3 ways. Component cost would be around £20 not including case & connectors - but I think I'm really just showing off my PCB layout skills.

Right. After last weekend's DMX cable fun (I just about had enough XLR-XLR cables) I've decided rather than buy more cables I'm going to take a punt on a couple of wireless modules & set about converting some of my kit. 1 or 2 cables per fixture I can live with, but four.. nah. That & if you cover much distance between DMX outposts it adds up to a lot of cable coiling at the end of the night. I'll doubtless write up my experiences with the modules on my blog.

Right. After last weekend's DMX cable fun (I just about had enough XLR-XLR cables) I've decided rather than buy more cables I'm going to take a punt on a couple of wireless modules & set about converting some of my kit. 1 or 2 cables per fixture I can live with, but four.. nah. That & if you cover much distance between DMX outposts it adds up to a lot of cable coiling at the end of the night. I'll doubtless write up my experiences with the modules on my blog.
    Take lots of photos as I want to do mine. I am experimenting on my Tri phases and if that works do it to the quad HP's when i get them.

Take lots of photos as I want to do mine. I am experimenting on my Tri phases and if that works do it to the quad HP's when i get them.
    Oh I'll be thorough. Have you seen my post about how I fixed my mc2000?

http://www.justinhornsby.co.uk/

I've considered doing a video about modding my lights but having thought about how much I hate having to watch a howto video rather than read about it... Nah. And unboxing videos can go & die in a fire. Who wants to watch somebody taking stuff out of a box? Pfft!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Who wants to watch somebody taking stuff out of a box? Pfft!
    See, I do that sometimes. I obsessively research most things that I buy, so I have been known to watch unboxing videos. When I researched my movers, one of the reasons I watched the videos was to see how big they are in real terms, as opposed to measurements on the description.

However, I don't see why they cannot be a 30-second time lapse. Spending 10 minutes taking a microphone out of it's box is taking the .

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    See, I do that sometimes. I obsessively research most things that I buy, so I have been known to watch unboxing videos. When I researched my movers, one of the reasons I watched the videos was to see how big they are in real terms, as opposed to measurements on the description.

However, I don't see why they cannot be a 30-second time lapse. Spending 10 minutes taking a microphone out of it's box is taking the .
    I'm the guy who almost always reads the manual before even considering buying something. Okay some unboxing videos are useful. I just get tired of trying to find useful videos of stuff - like how to fix a thing or see what it's like in use (e.g. a phone) and only coming up with a 15 minute video of someone taking the thing out of its packaging. It never helps when the video is shot in Wobblyvision & is hosted by a screechy person from Merkinland either

Anyhow.. I've placed my order for two wireless DMX thingies & will keep folk posted as to my progress with them.

You're a bit late to the party on this one aren't you? It's been done on Facebook a few times recently and it's been talked about round on here for a few years (I did the conversion on mine 2 or 3 years ago after seeing an article on here?)

Having said all that, there's no video on YouTube yet, so I guess there's still room for more info

If anyone is genuinely interested in how I've done it, I've got the PCB's inside the following fixtures now and I'd be happy to take photos if anyone wanted them:

QTX SP64 pars
    LEDJ 7q5 Par cans
    Stairville 252/8 bars
    Equinox Ballero Moving heads

I've also fitted them externally to Acme Cougars and Acme Fusion moving washes (which is dead easy using the Acme Wireless remote port for power). Generally though it's just a case of finding space in the case for the board, drilling two holes for the LED and the push button switch, one hole for the Ariel and then finding a 5V rail, and soldering to the back of the DMX connectors. With the last lot of pars I got it down to about 15-20mins per fixture, and most of that was pulling them apart and putting them back together again.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography