Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I am not a gambler, but would make an 'investment' based on a certain degree of risk.
    If you'd invested £1,000 into Bitcoin when you posted that (3 months ago), it'd now be worth £2,500*

My CryptoCurrency portfolio made more profit yesterday than my wife brings home in a month, a point which I stupidly pointed out to her like a right

* the value of CryptoCurrency can go wildly up and down, and you might lose everything. Never invest in cryptos more than you can afford to lose.
    Last edited by Marc J; 29-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    If you'd invested £1,000 into Bitcoin when you posted that (3 months ago), it'd now be worth £2,500*

My CryptoCurrency portfolio made more profit yesterday than my wife brings home in a month, a point which I stupidly pointed out to her like a right

* the value of CryptoCurrency can go wildly up and down, and you might lose everything. Never invest in cryptos more than you can afford to lose.
    But it could also have been easily £5. Thats the point, investments in things like that are not far off gambling.
    I am currently looking at Chinese businesses as its set for a monumental collapse. Buy cheap and hope that it bounces back.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one Mark, thats brilliant, great to see investments make a success and help drive the economy too. Where do you buy stocks and shares out of interest and do you have a broker?

Its all good to get a good return on investments but many people also loose money the bitcoin thing could also have been easily £5. Thats the point, investments in things like that are not far off gambling as its so unstable. I am currently looking at Chinese businesses as China is set for a monumental collapse (we are talking depression standards), which will also affect many other markets. Buy cheap and hope that it bounces back is the thinking, but i need someone who knows that they are talking about really.

Wish i had invested in Alibaba. I thought hard about it, but decided not too as it was based on some off shore account in the philippines or similar, plus the communist government etc. Its growth is bigger than amazon now or so i have read. I don't know what £10,000 would be worth now, but quite a bit more since they went PLC. I know its cliche, but buy cheap and sell high as big business often survive these things. My dad had a firm in the stock exchange and made a fortune in the Falklands war era when everyone crapped their pants and he bought up all the cheap shares. They made millions overnight or so I gather?? Hardly got a pot to pxxx in now (retired at 40) so it did not do him any favours.
    Last edited by yourdj; 29-11-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Wish i had invested in Alibaba
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and of course, makes the idea of investing look 'easy' when looked at retrospectively!

Where do you buy stocks and shares out of interest and do you have a broker?
    For stocks and shares I use Hargreave Lansdown (www.hl.co.uk), not done any trades for a few years, though, my portfolio just sits there making a little...nothing compared to BTC, though!

Most (60% of my total shares value) is in Antofagasta, a Chilean mining operation. Been up and down, but generally up lately. I also have some shares in RBS which I bought at the wrong time, but holding them anyway...you never know!
    Last edited by Marc J; 29-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Started to take a deeper look into this over the last few days, feel like I may have missed the boat now its hit the £10K mark.

Has anyone had any experience with Coinbase to buy/sell and store?
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Coinbase to buy/sell and store?
    Buying - yes no issues.
    Selling - no, not yet, I'm HOLDING
    Store - no, no, NO! Don't store crypto currencies at exchanges (see: Mt. Gox)
    Last edited by Excalibur; 30-11-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo

Crashing!

Buying - yes no issues.
    Selling - no, not yet, I'm HODLING
    Store - no, no, NO! Don't store crypto currencies at exchanges (see: Mt. Gox)
    Mt. Gox, Japanese wallet?

Crashing!
    Working its way back up now...
    Nathan.

Mt. Gox, Japanese wallet?
    Yes, in particular their Bankruptcy; stolen bitcoin episode -

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The company said it had lost almost 750,000 of its customers' bitcoins, and around 100,000 of its own bitcoins, totaling around 7% of all bitcoins, and worth around $473 million near the time of the filing.[72][73] Mt. Gox released a statement saying, "The company believes there is a high possibility that the bitcoins were stolen,” blamed hackers, and began a search for the missing bitcoin.[10][37] Chief Executive Karpelès said technical issues opened up the way for fraudulent withdrawals.
    I narrowly escaped this...if I'd taken the plunge a week earlier I would have chosen Mt. Gox (they were the biggest at the time), left my BTC in their wallet and lost it. No matter how big and trustworthy (you think) your exchange is, move your BTC to a wallet where you alone hold the private keys, and DO NOT LOSE THESE.

Working its way back up now...
    Just a glitch

No matter how big and trustworthy (you think) your exchange is, move your BTC to a wallet where you alone hold the private keys, and DO NOT LOSE THESE.
    I'm looking for wallets at the moment but no idea who's best in conjunction with buying/selling via Coinbase.

Seeing a lot of people have issues selling via CB into UK banks. Not sure if this a small percentage with a big voice or an actual serious issue across the board.
    Last edited by DJWilson; 30-11-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    Nathan.