Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: HELP PLEASE!

Default HELP PLEASE!

Can anyone help me with this issue.My problem is i need to listen to next track through my earphones,i know a sound card is the obvious answer to this,but i run a early version of vdj as the latests versions seem to slow my
    my laptop down.Do the early versions of vdj let you load up next track through your headphones using a usb sound card?If so, what price range should i be looking at,if not am i left bto save up and get a better laptop that will run the latest vdj programme,or is there another way round this.

Thanks chris

Hello Chris. First of all, could I ask you please to pop across to the newbies section and introduce yourself, it's quite painless, and often helps us to give more accurate advice to new arrivals.

Right, to your query. Knowing the version of VDJ you're on, and rough specs of your laptop would help. I'm not the man to answer this, but I'm sure we've got plenty of folk here with far more knowledge in this area than I have. Good luck.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hi

I may be wrong but I think you need a splitter.

Name:  370208718_545-diagram.png
Views: 306
Size:  273.5 KB

Better off get a decent laptop and controller (plus backup (i.e. an iPad or another laptop)) especially if you are working mobile as it must be seriously low spec not to handle VDJ and you will have a failure at some point running someones party.

If its just for the bedroom then thats cool.

You can get a 2gig laptop for about £100-200. I would personally recommend a Macbook.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...aptop&_sacat=0

Laptop:
    2.1 Ghz AMD Athlon X2 CPU
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
    320 GB SATA HDD
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
    Last edited by yourdj; 24-03-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

is your laptop used only for your dj work ? if its a general use one your slowing it down by having loads of other stuff running that you possibly don't even know about. .
    but knowing the full spec etc of what your using will help someone far more experienced with vdj than me to help.

The most cost effective option would be to look at a DJI/O from Numark. Its an external soundcard, which runs from your USB. It will install an Asio driver for your current internal souncard, and I believe the options in your VDJ set up menu (looking at your "Output" drop down) will then feature an option to split left and right (to be able to cue up tracks, as you require)....to be honest, I think this option is available even if you don't have an external soundcard, but I would always recommend an Ext SCard over an internal (unless you've got a great card installed)....My current choice of Ext Soundcard is the integrated on on the Denon MC2000 controller, which is cost effective at approx £240, and is hard wearing and does the job.

Toby, I don't think the splitter would work, as it doesn't give an extra discrete output, merely the main output twice. I think he needs an external card.

Ryan, reasonable advice ( I used an IO happily for a long time ). However, I don't know if the version he's running will cope with such a card. As long as he's on a full/ pro version, I'm sure that will be absolutely fine, but I know someone was trying to configure a similar card on a lesser version, and the VDJ software wouldn't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Toby, I don't think the splitter would work, as it doesn't give an extra discrete output, merely the main output twice. I think he needs an external card.
    This approach will work as long as VDJ will allow him to select "Mono separated" as an output, one channel then becomes the master output, the other becomes the PFL (pre-fade) channel. The restriction with this approach is that you're stuck using VDJ's software mixer with the mouse which is clunky. If you're using a standard internal laptop sound card you'll also suffer from latency issues (i.e. there will be tens of milliseconds of delay between pressing stop/play and the sound stopping/starting) so you can forget about beat matching using this kind of set up.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    This approach will work as long as VDJ will allow him to select "Mono separated" as an output, one channel then becomes the master output, the other becomes the PFL (pre-fade) channel.

Julian
    Ah. Toby, please accept my abject apologies, I hadn't realised that VDJ would operate in this way. ( Even though I've seen the option in soundcard setup before. )

Tell you what, I'll just stop answering questions about laptops, shall I?