Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most soulful voice

Default Most soulful voice

Sat round the pool listening to the iPod on shuffle.

Songs come on that you haven't listened too in ages.

Al Green - Lets stay together came on. The vocals just blew me away.

Made me think, is he the most soulful or best vocalist?

Who would be on your list?

Good thread, are we talking about any vocalists who impress, or soul singers?

In general, off the top of my head, I'd go with Morrissey, George Michael, Mariah Carey, Robert Plant, Stevie Wonder, Nat King Cole, Elton John, Aretha Franklin, Freddie Mercury, Whitney Houston, Bono and Michael Jackson.

Kind of predictable I know, but they're not famous for nothing. They've all got that 'wow' factor, and you appreciate them more when you attempt to sing along in the car at the top of your voice, and fail miserably

If you're talking soul, then Bill Withers is top of the list for me, even ahead of Barry White.

Margin Gaye would be in the top few of my soul singers with Luther Vandross up there too.

Recently, Emeli Sande's voice has impressed me.

This whole conversation should begin and end with Otis Redding.

Ably supported by Aretha Franklin and Stevie.

So why are all the names from a bygone era. Don't we make good vocalists or soul singers anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    So why are all the names from a bygone era. Don't we make good vocalists or soul singers anymore?
    Emeli Sande got a mention up there? If we're talking current then Adele would be on my list as well as Bruno mars. I think the majority of the vocalists I would have picked from days gone by have already been mentioned.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

So do you think the vocals were more important in making records in the past where as the music or beat is more important now with the vocals "imported in", people like Calvin Harris, David Guetta, DJ Fresh etc?

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    So do you think the vocals were more important in making records in the past where as the music or beat is more important now with the vocals "imported in", people like Calvin Harris, David Guetta, DJ Fresh etc?
    I think if you look at the differences between some of the recent tracks that have been hits, and some that haven't, the vocals and the skill of the vocalist are typically one of the major contributing factors.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Ruby Turner. Check her out.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I think if you look at the differences between some of the recent tracks that have been hits, and some that haven't, the vocals and the skill of the vocalist are typically one of the major contributing factors.

Julian
    Granted. But the single now will be released under the name of the producer featuring the vocalist. In previous eras the vocalist would have been the star and hardly anyone would know who the producer was.