Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popular Scottish Wedding Songs

Default Popular Scottish Wedding Songs

Good morning

Next weekend I am DJ at a wedding where a very large group of Scots are travelling down by train for a wedding in Surrey. Many of them have very strong and prestigious links with Rugby Union.

Can any Scottish DJs help me with current tunes popular with the Scots. Also any tunes with rugby links would be good. I already have Runrig - Loch Lomond but not much more. Am wondering whether where 500 miles by The Proclaimers would be considered very cheesey by the Scots themselves?

Thank you.
    www.djjules.co.uk
    Covering Essex, Kent, East and West Sussex and Surrey

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Jules View Post
    Good morning
    I already have Runrig - Loch Lomond but not much more. Am wondering whether where 500 miles by The Proclaimers would be considered very cheesey by the Scots themselves?

Thank you.
    Runrig & Loch Lomond will be well received by the Scots. Not to sure about any Rubgy linked songs, sorry. If there's plenty of middle aged Scots women travelling down you may get away with a slosh (Daniel Boone - Beautiful Sunday is a popular Slosh track). A few Scottish Old Skool Dance tracks such as 'TTF - New Emotion' & 'QFX - Freedom' might also be well received.

Yeah, I'd agree with Shaun, there isn't much else really. Possibly Deacon Blue - Dignity, and might be worth checking you've got something from other Scottish bands like The View, Franz Ferdinand, Fratellis, Biffy Clyro... Paolo Nutini...

If they're from Edinburgh, they might also appreciate Sunshine On Leith. Or even other Proclaimers songs in general - On My Way, Letter From America...

If they're from Glasgow, it might be worth avoiding The Best, Penny Arcade, You'll Never Walk Alone and Just Can't Get Enough (but chances are it will be fine!).

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Yeah, I'd agree with Shaun, there isn't much else really. Possibly Deacon Blue - Dignity, and might be worth checking you've got something from other Scottish bands like The View, Franz Ferdinand, Fratellis, Biffy Clyro... Paolo Nutini...

If they're from Edinburgh, they might also appreciate Sunshine On Leith. Or even other Proclaimers songs in general - On My Way, Letter From America...

If they're from Glasgow, it might be worth avoiding The Best, Penny Arcade, You'll Never Walk Alone and Just Can't Get Enough (but chances are it will be fine!).
    Spot on, I've had the same experience myself.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Swing low sweet chariot...

(if you want to die!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Swing low sweet chariot...

(if you want to die!!!!)
    But I can't believe nobody has suggested The Corries- Flower of Scotland!!!! Do you never watch the Six Nations? ( Rhetorical question. I know it's only me and Steve who do. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    But I can't believe nobody has suggested The Corries- Flower of Scotland!!!! Do you never watch the Six Nations? ( Rhetorical question. I know it's only me and Steve who do. )
    Alestorm do a better version.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Default Rod

...and don't forget Rod...
    Maggie May - Rod Stewart
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

As for the Proclaimers 500 miles.....I had a Glaswegian bird practically on her knees (may have been something to do with the amount of falling down water she'd consumed) asking for that one tonight.

I didn't get time to play it (considering it not a go-er for the particular party), and the moment I switched off, they turned on an iPod with a large speaker with exactly that track

Thank you all, some very good advice there, including a couple to search for and a couple to steer well clear of!! Much appreciated.
    www.djjules.co.uk
    Covering Essex, Kent, East and West Sussex and Surrey