Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Expanding music knowledge

Default Expanding music knowledge

Hi Guys,

So what does everyone do to expand their music knowledge.

I'll start it off. For me, Radio and Forums really to.

Radio wise, Radio 1, 1xtra (i'm quite into at the moment). Kiss for more modern and charty commercial music and Kiss story for 90's etc.

Do like how this forum has the top 10(isn) songs per genre then google is my friend to learn more into each genre.

Mainly a result of using Spotify to research client playlists, or check out playlists posted on here. Also, asking for advice on here can expand your knowledge considerably.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Mainly a result of using Spotify to research client playlists, or check out playlists posted on here. Also, asking for advice on here can expand your knowledge considerably.
    Have you ever used those pre down playlists on Spotify, got to start using them more often. Also, I find the related artists on spotify quite useful.

I spend a lot of time on Youtube (who doesn't!), forums, and still listen to the radio a lot. Huey Morgan on R2 is always worth a listen, usually a very eclectic mix.

I am thinking of getting some form of paid for online MTV of some sort? Any advice?
    I can watch it when in the office.

I don't watch TV at all apart from the odd Iplayer programme and without kids I miss quite a bit of the chart.
    I don't even know what half the modern day artists look like although I know most of the music.

Spotify might also be a good bet for finding less mainstream stuff, which is equally important for background etc.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default 1001 songs

Listening to every song mentioned in books like 1001 Songs to hear before you die etc....
    Found some real gems that way.
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

I play what I like and want to play and the punters can off if they don't like it

I'm HORRIBLE at channel hopping on the radio in the car, I do it so often it gets on my nerves never mind any passengers but it keeps me up on a lot of the newest chart stuff.

For more out there stuff, I'm in a huge 35 piece weird band thing where anyone can suggest a song for us to cover so even if most of the songs don't make the cut or even get considered, I've picked up on a lot of cool bands and tunes just through some of the suggestions on there. Arseholes flat out refuse my request to do Invisible Touch