Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edinburgh City Chambers

Default Edinburgh City Chambers

Edinburgh City Chambers: I'm doing a wedding there soon, just wondering if any of our Scottish members have any details as to access, sound limiters, setup area etc? I've not had time to do a site visit but will be calling the venue in a few days, just looking to get a wee heads up prior to calling. Thanks in advance.

Default visit

I visited the place last year to check I was booked for a wedding..... (luckily the wedding got moved to Merchants Halls as ended up doing renovation work)

But, unless it has changed dramatically then this is what i expected.

The function was to be in a large hall upstairs.
    There was a small lift and gear could be left in the corridor near a side entrance to the hall.

There was no parking. Drop-off only.

Good luck.
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Thank you Lee. Just what I was looking for - very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Just what I was looking for
    You're easily pleased, Shaun. I'd have been looking for " Superb access, fire doors twelve feet wide, you can reverse the van onto the stage".

Seems to me that most of the city centre Scottish venues wish to make life as difficult as possible for the DJs.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You're easily pleased, Shaun. I'd have been looking for " Superb access, fire doors twelve feet wide, you can reverse the van onto the stage".

Seems to me that most of the city centre Scottish venues wish to make life as difficult as possible for the DJs.
    Meh we're a soft bunch.

29 and Grand Central in Glasgow are probably the bench mark "I whack 7 squillion quid on a gig in there!" and "I don't even quote for it as it's too much hassle." venues.

True there's quite a bit of faffing around but if you're charging appropriately it's really not to be sniffed at - I'll rue the day I get sand in my vag when I'm earning more doing a bit of lifting and having to move the car for a gig than the majority of folk (my good self included) earn for a weeks graft in the day job

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Meh we're a soft bunch.

29 and Grand Central in Glasgow are probably the bench mark "I whack 7 squillion quid on a gig in there!" and "I don't even quote for it as it's too much hassle." venues.

True there's quite a bit of faffing around but if you're charging appropriately it's really not to be sniffed at - I'll rue the day I get sand in my vag when I'm earning more doing a bit of lifting and having to move the car for a gig than the majority of folk (my good self included) earn for a weeks graft in the day job
    I do think some venues just aren't worth the hassle. There's enough work going around that cherry picking the most suitable to quote for is a much better scenario (for me anyway) than being in a venue that's a complete nightmare (for whatever reason).

Re Edinburgh City Chambers: It turned out to be very easy in regards to access and parking. I asked the groom in advance to try secure parking on-site...which he did. I turned up on the day, popped over to the security guard and he lowered the bollards to allow me access to the compound, and I was able to park there for the entire duration. The function room was up a level but there was a lift for me to use.

Space in the function hall was limited, I was pretty much in the corner, but I managed to fit everything into the space provided. The only real downside is the bar was setup quite a distance away in another room at the end of a long corridor. So it was a bit of a trial trying to keep people in the room. What made it more difficult was the client asking for a "Silent DJ" during the initial brief. We found a workable compromise where I would make just a few announcements (first dance, and the occasional mention of guest requests that were made in advance).

All in all though, a great venue, great location and a great bunch of guests.

Name:  800.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  425.3 KB

Just so I understand, Shaun, you took on a gig with limited parking at best, poor access, a lift, restricted setup area, a bar in a room half a mile away from you, and use of the microphone banned from the outset?

Rather you than me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

We have just tonight turned away quite a lucrative gig because they were setting out limits/control over everything from music choice, volume, lighting and the times we could use the mic!!! I had to point out that we get "employed" to DJ and provide entertainment to a crowd and not an individual. They didn't agree and basically said its there way or the highway. Highway looked good and they were shocked.
    Gigs like this damage your reputation!

Apologies guys, quite possibly the wrong thread. Freshly off the phone with this "client". Woooosaa 😳

Quote Originally Posted by atlanticdisco View Post
    We have just tonight turned away quite a lucrative gig because they were setting out limits/control over everything from music choice, volume, lighting and the times we could use the mic!!! I had to point out that we get "employed" to DJ and provide entertainment to a crowd and not an individual. They didn't agree and basically said its there way or the highway. Highway looked good and they were shocked.
    Gigs like this damage your reputation!

Often customers that want to micro-manage their event have had bad experiences in the past. More often than not though there is a happy medium that can be reached. And if that happy medium can be reached, I quite like the challenge.