Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A request web app?

also how are you getting it on the market place and is it for apple too
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

That's just it - it's a web app, not an 'app app', so the user just points their device browser at the site. No installation necessary.. I mean who'd want to install an app just to make requests at one event? ;-)

There's that aspect, and it makes life way easier for me:

No need for me to own an iDevice, no need to try & get it past Apple's app police.. no developer licence complications...
    No need to test it on multiple Android versions...

This way I only need to develop one thing, as opposed to three :-) (Four if anybody actually has a Windows phone!).. oh wait then there are Blackberry users to consider (or not).. heh.

So yeah.. it's just a bunch of web pages. I'll have something people here can try for themselves soon.

cool - got me confused there with the word app. What do you code in?
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

That looks brilliant.

Would definitely be interested in looking into using it if you were aiming to make it commercially available.

My only thought though (and I don't really know the workings of the tech side of it) do you need an internet connection on the night for it to work or do the requests come to you via texts or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    cool - got me confused there with the word app. What do you code in?
    It's coded in php on the server side & uses Ajax through Javascript & jquery. The database side is mySQL.

My last job involved supporting a monster of a web app which administered fleets of mobile & fixed CCTV installations.

I really only set out to see if I could do it rather than have anything commercial in mind.. It's my first foray into making anything web facing from scratch.

My other sideline is hosting, developing and troubleshooting a Prestashop website for a friend of my sister inlaw which sells lingerie & er.. Adult items. It's all good for the CV :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    That looks brilliant.

Would definitely be interested in looking into using it if you were aiming to make it commercially available.

My only thought though (and I don't really know the workings of the tech side of it) do you need an internet connection on the night for it to work or do the requests come to you via texts or something?
    It needs an internet connection to work, though I can easily make the admin side more mobile friendly. Sending text messages from a server would be messy.

Its cool - all the commercial ones are silly prices for what they do. You can get Content Unlimited for VDJ for the same price as a request app

- - - Updated - - -

PS i see your local to me - what comapny do you run?
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

I'll try to explain how it works in simple terms.

The user, ie the person wanting to make a request, points their tablet or phone at the request website. They log in using a code unique to the event (supplied by the DJ, maybe printed out & displayed somewhere). They are then presented with a page where they can see existing requests and add new requests.

The DJ logs in on a completely separate part of the site, can see the list of requests and is able to edit them, mark them 'will play' for their own reference, and 'played', again for their own reference.

The DJ can also delete requests (maybe not a very friendly idea) and of course can add, amend or delete the codes which site users can log in with.

I'm thinking about adding a 'print event sheet' feature which would allow the admin to print a page featuring the web address, the event code and a qr code. If you don't know what a qr code is, it's an image made of dots that you can scan with a smartphone or tablet, which can take a user to a web address with no typing involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Its cool - all the commercial ones are silly prices for what they do. You can get Content Unlimited for VDJ for the same price as a request app

- - - Updated - - -

PS i see your local to me - what comapny do you run?
    I don't. Yet!

I came back to the game last year doing walk-in jobs for a guy I work with in my day job. The plan is to spend what's left of the money from that on my own rig. I'm getting there, slowly. He was due to quit at the end of last year & offered me the chance to take up a 'lucrative' residency, but wanted paid for it and I'd still have to buy gear. Add to that the venue isn't all that, doesn't offer any kind of client contact, doesn't know what's coming up from one week to the next... Meh... Might as well go it alone after all.

I've just been coding a simple request form for use before the event. It'd be their own personalised database which they can invite friends and family to look at / make additional requests.
    I know some people already have these - just want to give it a go making one myself so I can learn something from it!

Unfortunately I wouldn't really go for this web app idea though, there is a bit of a buzz about asking the DJ for a request in person / handing them a request slip - it may still be there with the app (hard to tell without trying) but I feel it wouldn't feel quite a fun!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD