Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: radio mic`s

Default radio mic`s

Well on saturday , during the speeches , my AKG radio mic went haywire , massive pops and bangs from the speakers , sounded like a mains spike.
    this happened on both mic`s
    This is not the first time this has happened , but this time was bad , to the point that I asked if it was alright to carry on the speeches un-mic`ed, no problem from the wedding
    party , so any ideas what could be wrong , the system is UHF and the mic was less than 30m from the receiver , however it still popped and banged when the mic was only 6" away from the receiver.
    Failing any solutions , I need a radio mic or two soon , any ideas guys

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

If it's the dual mic system I think it is, then the receiver has likely gone wonky.

If there's any way you can try the mics with another receiver & power supply, do that.

Other than that, try a different power supply, or buy a spare receiver set. It'd be very unlikely both mic transmitters go south at the same time

Oh yeah before I forget, make sure to test the system at home too. It could well have been local interference causing the problem. Like another UHF radio system nearby. Ah, the hijinx I used to have with a DJ in my home town who I shared 173.8 mhz with!

I've had the same problem. I've also had RADIO broadcasts coming over my speakers from them in one location!
    It's a hell of a racket they make, and a load of static too....I sent the first ones back and the replacements haven't done it (yet). It's almost like they're losing the connection to the base station when it happens.

Luckily I now have a second receiver as well so if it happens to me I'll give it a go (top tip....don't drop the mics.....they sound like you're talking in a biscuit barrel after hitting the floor a couple of times).

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I've had the same problem. I've also had RADIO broadcasts coming over my speakers from them in one location!
    It's a hell of a racket they make, and a load of static too....I sent the first ones back and the replacements haven't done it (yet). It's almost like they're losing the connection to the base station when it happens.

Luckily I now have a second receiver as well so if it happens to me I'll give it a go (top tip....don't drop the mics.....they sound like you're talking in a biscuit barrel after hitting the floor a couple of times).
    Hmmm. Nobody here is giving me a compelling reason to even think about buying that AKG mic set.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

This was a common problem with the older, less-reliable VHF radio systems. I've never encoutered that with my UHF ones, though.

VHF radio mics could pick up taxi radios and all sorts!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    This was a common problem with the older, less-reliable VHF radio systems. I've never encoutered that with my UHF ones, though.

VHF radio mics could pick up taxi radios and all sorts!
    I only had an issue once, and that was another mic on the same channel. Good ole Trantec

My chanel 70 AKG's got really bad (and several other people i know) recently. its the 4 g channel as it hits the changel 70 also.
    Its always worse in venues far away from an antenna as the phones in the venues are searching for a signal.
    I did a lot of tests and gave up on them in the end.

I moved to channel 38 and went to Kam dual set with a licence.
    Sell it and go line 6 digital would be my answer.

My guess is AKG has been selling their super small (and uber cheap) unit on that wave length as its cheap to have as they knew it would be encroached upon. They have run out of luck as at least 6 people i know alone are having problems.
    Last edited by yourdj; 09-09-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    My chanel 70 AKG's got really bad (and several other people i know) recently. its the 4 g channel as it hits the changel 70 also.
    Its always worse in venues far away from an antenna as the phones in the venues are searching for a signal.
    I did a lot of tests and gave up on them in the end.

I moved to channel 38 and went to Kam dual set with a licence.
    Sell it and go line 6 digital would be my answer.

My guess is AKG has been selling their super small (and uber cheap) unit on that wave length as its cheap to have as they knew it would be encroached upon. They have run out of luck as at least 6 people i know alone are having problems.
    And as OFCOM themselves have said "Radio channels in this 863-865 MHz band are not generally used by professionals as this
    licence exempt band offers no guarantee of protection from interference. Professionals tend
    to use channels which are individually licensed to ensure interference-free quality.".. get CH38, and a licence then.

I just skimmed the report here and was surprised how thorough OFCOM's testing was. Only problem being, they simulated ONE 4G device, not a near room full of them all trying to jabber with a far away base station.

had a wedding last week where the house radio mic was on our second channel, that was fun. but many many years ago did a party over the road from the local police station, all we got that night was radio comms from the police station ... oh the days of old equipment