Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When a wedding is NOT a wedding!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    For heaven's sake Jim! No one is disputing that. The question here is when you turn up to a venue for a non wedding gig, having done whatever work you feel necessary, and find it's actually a wedding, is it acceptable to say " Hang on. It's a wedding. Weddings cost more"? Exactly the same amount of preparation as the 18th you did there the week before, and the same hours. Why an extra cost?
    No that's not acceptable, my point is, weddings do take more time and effort ergo the higher cost. To do that ^ IS just bunging on a wedding tax.

Well that was a healthy debate!

Ok I do see everyones points on it should be the same price for the same effort and same time. Why wouldnt someone wanting a birthday party, not want a face to face? Well tbh iv only had one in the last year that wanted a face to face..

The thing is if I have a face to face its generaly in the office complex where my gear is all kept, onlly thing is where the gear is kept isnt ideal for a face to face meeting, so not only does it cost me more time but I have to then pay £25 quid to use the meeting rooms for 1 hour.. Yeah I could try and meet elsewhere, but its convienent for the clients as city centre located with parking and I can have everything to hand quite easily and even take payments there and then issue recipts etc. On top of that I do go to the venue and meet with the events team there prior to the event, Even if I have been before and know the layout, as things might have changed or are going to be set up different than before.

Maybe I should do the same for birthdays etc, but If im honest alot of birthdays come in last min and I find it hard to get the time.
    Now am sure most of you who say you put in just as much effort and time into other events deserve to charge accordingly. I know I do a good job for every event, but weddings do take up abit more of my time than birthdays. Shoot me down again im sure you all shall, but some people work different from others, I am succesful at what I do and I certainly dont rip of clients with crazy prices for their wedding.

The initial post could have been put better, id admit! I was more peved that a client would lie to me about the event type just to TRY and get it cheap. Yeah fair enough I could go to what im told is a 40th and it turns out to be a 21st! Now im sure a few heads on here wouldnt be happy about that?!

Anyways please dont think im some bad rip off dude and I do take note off everything you all have posted, maybe just adjust the prices by the £50 for all events and as you have all seem to say, that no difference then!!

Apart from that its always good to have a debate, i have a prowl on the forum every few weeks and not that much happening so glad at least got a wee discussion-- although seems its been discussed plenty on the secret/private forum ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by scott23 View Post
    although seems its been discussed plenty on the secret/private forum ;-)
    Actually it’s in the members area (the subs are £1 a month which helps support the running of the forum) so it isn’t a secret and it’s open to anyone. The thread on there and this one are pretty much the same.

I have don't really make any price differences between corporate, private and weddings unless a meeting is not required.

I have however had a dozen or so weddings this year who have booked me all day and have not wanted any speeches, cake cut or first dance etc. I do think in future if this is the case I will discount a bit if the access and venue is OK as its pretty much a party (minus the responsibility of the occasion), which is far less complicated. I feel I am over charging a bit, probably just a personal thing as the clients were made up with my casual approach, which involved sitting about al day or chatting to guests and not saying much in the evening. Dare I say it, letting the music to the "you know what"

I don't think however i would make any discounts for an evening only 'party' that still required coordination for first dance, cake cut and other usual things as i would still have the meetings and its still the same work isn't it?? It does seem that people book better DJ's for weddings in general and thats what comes with it.

A DJ that charges different amounts for what is effectively the same job, just because they know that the client will pay more, is a bit wrong and I agree with the them on that.
    Last edited by yourdj; 14-09-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

I have however had a dozen or so weddings this year who have booked me all day and have not wanted any speeches, cake cut or first dance etc. I do think in future if this is the case I will discount a bit if the access and venue is OK as its pretty much a party (minus the responsibility of the occasion), which is far less complicated.
    Why on earth would you volunteer a discount if you don’t have to? You are still booked out for that day and have no way of making up the difference, just doesn’t seem like a good business idea to me

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Why on earth would you volunteer a discount if you don’t have to? You are still booked out for that day and have no way of making up the difference, just doesn’t seem like a good business idea to me
    Yes you are right.

i had a 1.5k booking deposit paid today and they only want microphones for ceremony (Ceremony music really is a responsibility!) and a pretty basic day (with photo booth mind you). I offered her a £100 discount. I don't know, it's a personal thing, but I understand where you are coming from. I don't discount very often, just on occasions above or when its a venue manager getting married etc.

but if the customer is happy then I should just stick to the same prices.
    Last edited by yourdj; 14-09-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Might sticking " Wedding DJ " at the top of your website dissuade people from booking other functions? Food for thought.
    Dedicated websites is the way forward
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Dedicated websites is the way forward
    Definitely, the time of having one website to cover everything seems to be a thing of the past - unfortunately.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Definitely, the time of having one website to cover everything seems to be a thing of the past - unfortunately.
    I'm a Mobile DJ. My website reflects this. Job done, I feel.

Now, if I was offering dancefloors, chocolate fountains, and a hundred more options not directly connected to being a Mobile DJ, I'd agree that one or more dedicated sites would be a good idea.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm a Mobile DJ. My website reflects this. Job done, I feel.

Now, if I was offering dancefloors, chocolate fountains, and a hundred more options not directly connected to being a Mobile DJ, I'd agree that one or more dedicated sites would be a good idea.
    Not necessarily I've found. I have a general site and a Wedding site. As a guess I would say 95% of wedding enquiries come through the wedding site. The other generates mainly 'other' enquiries.

Within my wedding site I also have other services I offer and have people booking these standalone - even though they are on a wedding dj site.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk