Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Warning to All

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I was on auto pilot all night (I often do a better job when like that), I can't remember a thing that happened as I was so worried about being stuck in a barn all night.
    I've noticed the same happens with me. Not only with discos, I'm notoriously late amongst friends and when I worked for sainsburys and wickes I would always be 2 mins late or more. A sign of a bad employee most would think but I'd outperform my coworkers regularly. I like to arrive and get stuck in instantly I work best this way.
    I doubt most of my clients will appreciate this so I try to arrive with plenty of time. Only ever been late once by 20mins, because I forgot to pop my watch an hour forward. Until I got in my van and saw the dash clock I had no idea lol!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

He will have to start a fresh now as his reputation is in tatters, which will be even more expensive.
    Change the name and move on is the usual business tactic.

No bailiffs in Scotland, thank god. Scary to think that someone could try to sue you though, I had a guy phone me a few days after his wedding to get money back as there was only sound out of one speaker at the end of the night.

I politely reminded him, that while he was steaming and spewing up all over the dance floor. That he slipped on his vomit and knocked over the speaker, which got wrecked! He said "ahh okay, I don't remember!" Yeah mate you got carried out the building by your newly we wife and best man.

We are working here from an edited version of events. We don't know why he incurred the initial claim, we know very few facts about anything, in fact. I'm very wary of making pronouncements on so few hard facts. We're making a lot of assumptions, which can sometimes be unwise.

It is indeed a salutory tale, and is likely to do little to do much to enhance our image in some people's eyes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

This is the danger of not facing up to problems early on.
    The bride and groom might have taken £100 damages to start with if he had offered it.
    Once things get to the court stage the costs quickly escalate.

I learned that from an ebay experience.
    Bloke bought amplifier boards.
    He wasn't happy with them but I refused to rework them and asked for them to be returned for a refund.
    He sent back lump of wood with tracking number.
    He got refund, kept £50 of kit and left me negative feedback !

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    Interesting program Pe7e but it does confuse me as I do know that there are some things a bailiff can not seize.

The main areas where items cannot be seized are:

Bedding, clothing, furniture and provisions that the debtor and their family need for a basic level of domestic life.
    Perishable goods: refrigerated foodstuffs, fresh flowers etc.
    Tools of the trade: those needed by the debtor to do their job or run their business, for example tools, books, vehicles etc.

However, these goods must be used solely by the debtor for the purposes of his or her work to fall under ‘tools of the trade’. For example, a commercial van that is also used by the debtor’s spouse is available for seizure.

The only exception I know regarding tools of trade is if the debt is rates/tax arrears in which case they can be seized (sneaky governement allowing themselves more poweres than any one else eh?)

The disco equipment clearly falls into this category, and there was no mention of who the registered driver(s) of the van are so there was no evidence that it that it was not a tool of trade.

Is this TV program giving honest facts or is it for dramatic effect?

Rich
    Big difference enforcing debts on sole traders and LTD companies, You are correct in saying that they cannot seize certain goods, especially tools of the trade form a sole trader (self employed).

However when they are dealing with LTD companies (which this DJ had set up and it is the LTD company the sheriffs were enforcing the debt against) it differs. All tools owned by the LTD company are just assets like vehicles even if the vehicles are used personally. If a LTD company owns it (with no finance) it can be seized.

On the flip side, most High court enforcement agents and Bailiffs will not take something away that will help you pay the debt off (even if they are allowed to). They would much rather wait a few months for the cash from you then have to deal with all the paper work involved with seizing goods and selling them on for the fraction of the price they are worth.

As plenty of people have already said. work with them, they will agree a payment plan if you are honest and not being awkward etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jonezyr1 View Post
    On the flip side, most High court enforcement agents and Bailiffs will not take something away that will help you pay the debt off (even if they are allowed to). They would much rather wait a few months for the cash from you then have to deal with all the paper work involved with seizing goods and selling them on for the fraction of the price they are worth.
    No doubt that if they were not having to act up for the cameras, then they probably would have done that and not tried to seize anything. Does not make good TV watching them come up with a payment plan. We all we have tons of kit we don't really need that we could sell off to make some cash. I don't have a lot of gear and I do.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

No doubt that if they were not having to act up for the cameras, then they probably would have done that and not tried to seize anything. Does not make good TV watching them come up with a payment plan. We all we have tons of kit we don't really need that we could sell off to make some cash. I don't have a lot of gear and I do.
    More that what they did worked - he suddenly managed to get the payment made that day.

Without showing that they are serious, the debter will keep on giving them excuses why they can't pay today - but if they come back tomorrow the money will be there.

Their aim was to get the debt paid - and they achieved that without needing to seize any assets.

I would like to know in which circumstances a mobile disco can be sued.

Are we all at risk of being sued if for instance, no one dances or likes the music being played and the client decides the Dj ruined their party.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Murphy View Post
    I would like to know in which circumstances a mobile disco can be sued.

Are we all at risk of being sued if for instance, no one dances or likes the music being played and the client decides the Dj ruined their party.
    If a client has asked for all up to date music from the last 5 years to be played, to which you agree to play, but then play an evening of 80s music, then yes, you are at risk of being successfully sued.

If you are asked to play "all the classics" and you play "all the classics" and no-one dances, then that is not necessarily your fault, and you are very unlikely to be at risk of being successfully sued.

If you sell your service as "I guarantee the dance floor will be packed with dancers all night" then you are also at risk of being sued if the dance floor isn't packed with dancers all night, as you've promised something that you've not delivered.