Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WORDPRESS WEBSITES ARE YOU MOBILE FRIENDLY?

Well I think the need for phone friendly IN THE FUTURE is likely to outweigh the risks of the site being hacked or disabled BUT I am going to pay Marc to put in place as many safety features as possible including those mentioned in his post to avoid disaster.

A bit of insurance.

Thanks for the input so far,

CRAZY K

Nevermind in future. Way more than half web traffic is now generated by phones & tablets. Ignore mobile browsers at your peril!

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    There seem to be ways of making Dreamweaver more mobile friendly although that is a shed load of work as far as I can see from google articles.

Anyone using Wordpress for a Website have any feedback good or bad on here?

How many of you are mobile friendly and does it increase ranking
    In my experience making a site mobile in dreamweaver requires you to redo the site considering both desktop, landscape phone / tablet and mobile rather than going straight in. You can buy templates if you don't fancy learning how to scale your site to the resolution of various screens. I use both dreamweaver and WordPress in my newest website designs and will be looking to eliminate WordPress from my site in the near future.

Updating content in dreamweaver is pretty quick. Replace photo :

Find original photo on computer.
    Put new photo in that file and rename it to be identical to old photo. Delete old photo.
    Open DW, find photo and right click then put.

Not that hard?

I like WordPress but it's not for me

Hmmm ... so that tiny part of my site that uses wordpress is currently crippling my entire site!
    Cannot access any of my sites except pages that don't include wordpress ... should be fun solving this one!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    In my experience making a site mobile in dreamweaver requires you to redo the site considering both desktop, landscape phone / tablet and mobile rather than going straight in. You can buy templates if you don't fancy learning how to scale your site to the resolution of various screens. I use both dreamweaver and WordPress in my newest website designs and will be looking to eliminate WordPress from my site in the near future.

Updating content in dreamweaver is pretty quick. Replace photo :

Find original photo on computer.
    Put new photo in that file and rename it to be identical to old photo. Delete old photo.
    Open DW, find photo and right click then put.

Not that hard?

I like WordPress but it's not for me
    Hmm I'm not sure, this mobile friendly thing is a big leap for those of us who are not into coding and frankly could have done without any of this, however it's here so we have to deal with.

I did read the article on the Internet how to do it with Dreamweaver but it seemed very long and had loads of different changes and experimental procedures which made me think it's quicker easier ( and more costly of course) to get Marc on the payroll and sort it permanently.

I have to say I'm a bit disturbed by your next post saying pages on your sites have been screwed

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    I have to say I'm a bit disturbed by your next post saying pages on your sites have been screwed
    CRAZY K
    I'm sure you can get somebody to do it all for a "small" fee

I've managed to solve the issues on 2/4 of my sites. Apparently for some reason an "&" symbol which has been in the script of a plugin for 3 years is now not needed and caused every page which had the wordpress on it to display errors instead of content - that's fixed but now loads of non-wordpress stuff on another website has gone funny which makes no sense ... but it's gotta be wordpress because I have an almost identical site with NO wordpress whatsoever and it's the only one which has no issues.

I'm sure you can get somebody to do it all for a "small" fee

I've managed to solve the issues on 2/4 of my sites. Apparently for some reason an "&" symbol which has been in the script of a plugin for 3 years is now not needed and caused every page which had the wordpress on it to display errors instead of content - that's fixed but now loads of non-wordpress stuff on another website has gone funny which makes no sense ... but it's gotta be wordpress because I have an almost identical site with NO wordpress whatsoever and it's the only one which has no issues.
    This sounds like some of the limitations on the old Cortex digital reader when reading certain text

All of which confirms what Marc has predicted correctly and my reading on the net including the classic from Wordpress--our expert is in hospital so we cant help ---whaaaaaaaat ?????? .

Im hoping Marcs hybrid system will defeat these issues.

CRAZY K

Fixed it ... apparently my website host decided to upgrade me to PHP 5.6 which is still in flipping BETA... my afternoon wasted thanks to some chump upgrading my PHP without notifying me!
    It seems a lot of the code for wordpress isn't yet compatible - not a wordpress issue... there was plenty of my standard PHP script which was misbehaving also.

Switched back to 5.4 - all back to normal!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

Fixed it ... apparently my website host decided to upgrade me to PHP 5.6 which is still in flipping BETA... my afternoon wasted thanks to some chump upgrading my PHP without notifying me!
    It seems a lot of the code for wordpress isn't yet compatible - not a wordpress issue... there was plenty of my standard PHP script which was misbehaving also.

Switched back to 5.4 - all back to normal!
    It does highlight another potential issue when choosing Wordpress (or any CMS) over hard-coded HTML / JS / CSS. Most CMS systems are written in PHP, which is always being patched / improved itself. Your host should have given you warning (a LOT of warning, and a testing period where you could choose 5.6 or 5.4), but you can't halt progress and it will eventually force 5.6 (for "security" reasons, probably), at which point you'd better hope that Wordpress is compatible, as wlel as any themes / plugins you use.

Like I said earlier - when you choose this option sometimes things outside of your control mean you wake up to a broken site which requires your attention.

By the way - PHP 5.6 has very little impact on existing code when migrating from 5.5 (http://php.net/manual/en/migration56.php), which suggests whatever you had that broke with 5.6 will not work on 5.5 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    It does highlight another potential issue when choosing Wordpress (or any CMS) over hard-coded HTML / JS / CSS. Most CMS systems are written in PHP, which is always being patched / improved itself. Your host should have given you warning (a LOT of warning, and a testing period where you could choose 5.6 or 5.4), but you can't halt progress and it will eventually force 5.6 (for "security" reasons, probably), at which point you'd better hope that Wordpress is compatible, as wlel as any themes / plugins you use.

Like I said earlier - when you choose this option sometimes things outside of your control mean you wake up to a broken site which requires your attention.

By the way - PHP 5.6 has very little impact on existing code when migrating from 5.5 (http://php.net/manual/en/migration56.php), which suggests whatever you had that broke with 5.6 will not work on 5.5 either.
    5.5 is not an option with mine, but I can go back 3 more versions. it's only silly things like I've done php includes with full urls not local ones etc.