Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a roadie

Default Getting a roadie

What's the best way to get a roadie - and what is the average pay they receive for a night's work.

I mainly need one for the load in and out.

Wasn't sure what the average rate is for one.

I put an add on Indeed recently and had interviews with several people that have degrees in music and a wealth of experience last week. Still not sure as my previous assistant was so good. Charlie on here, (who won the NADJ scholarship) who has become busy with his own bookings now. You really have to spell out what you want on that site as you get some proper muppets, that just see "DJ" and think they can just earn some cash and have a laugh - depends on the formality of your events I suppose?

http://nadj.org.uk/latest-nadj-news/...d-goes-to.html

I pais Charlie noithing for a year or two as he was happy just learning what to do. I would pay an experienced roadie £25 for the evening and £50 for the day and only get people that want to learn how to DJ as the last thing I want is to worry about some bored person tagging along. Minimum wage would be a good start I suppose, until they know what they are doing and don't need hand holding? Charlie has the same set up as me (literally), so he sets everything up while I deal with wedding formalities. really useful!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 11-11-2015 at 08:00 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

In the late 1970's we could have up to 4 DJ's at the same gig.
    We used to get £2 each a night so it was done for the fun of it.

Taking someone on as a roadie/apprentice DJ (for free beer) would be a lot cheaper than hiring someone.
    Perhaps on the promise of teaching them to DJ.

I've mentored young DJs/roadies for years.

Years ago I didn't pay them, but the standard that they are trained to now and the work they do, I have to pay them! I pay anything between £25 to £100 depending on the job.

Thanks, that's useful.

Whilst there's the "teach them to be a DJ", I need someone to be reliable for me - and paying someone is a good way to achieve that.

Although I wish I could still pay them £2!

I've used family members (nieces & nephews) friends of friends and even someone I found on Facebook who said they were looking for some extra work. I pay between £50 & £100 per gig, depending on the job.

Similar to Shaun, I have used daughters, nephews and other family friends although my supply has now dried up as they have all grown up themselves and have thier own jobs and lives

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    What's the best way to get a roadie - and what is the average pay they receive for a night's work.

I mainly need one for the load in and out.

Wasn't sure what the average rate is for one.
    My son pays £8 an hour to some young strong lads for his Rodeo Bull activities.

If you are training someone who is picking up knowledge I suppose you could pay less.

Don't forget you will need Employers Liability Insurance ( another expense )

ALAN
    CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Don't forget you will need Employers Liability Insurance ( another expense )
    Damn, there's always something that wants more money.

If you work good events then my main priority would be that they are well presented, polite and have good social skills

If its just to haul in kit etc. then reliability and fitness would be my main focus.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/