Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: A truly awful day

Default A truly awful day

Saturday just gone I got up around 10ish to get ready for my first disco of the day which started at 12. It was the first of 2 Child's Parties that afternoon and then an adults 50th birthday in the evening.

I already had a slight dizzy feeling in my head as I left home and as soon as I started to set up my equipment the shivers started and then a splitting headache. By 2pm I was finished and moved straight on to the next party which started at 3pm. By now I was struggling as I obviously had some kind of sickness bug.

This party finished at 5pm and I had just enough time to go home and have a quick bath before my evening disco which was due to start at 7.30, by this time I could hardly get out of the bath.

After I started at 7.30 that's when the bug really started to hit me. On one occasion I managed to get to the toilet on time for diarrhoea. Later in the evening with a packed floor I knew I would never make it to the toilet on time. 3 times I vomited behind my decks and I had to use my towels to mop it up. By the end of the night I could barley stand up but I had no choice but to carry on. Getting back home just after midnight and getting into bed was the one thought that kept me going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Murphy View Post
    Saturday just gone I got up around 10ish to get ready for my first disco of the day which started at 12. It was the first of 2 Child's Parties that afternoon and then an adults 50th birthday in the evening.

I already had a slight dizzy feeling in my head as I left home and as soon as I started to set up my equipment the shivers started and then a splitting headache. By 2pm I was finished and moved straight on to the next party which started at 3pm. By now I was struggling as I obviously had some kind of sickness bug.

This party finished at 5pm and I had just enough time to go home and have a quick bath before my evening disco which was due to start at 7.30, by this time I could hardly get out of the bath.

After I started at 7.30 that's when the bug really started to hit me. On one occasion I managed to get to the toilet on time for diarrhoea. Later in the evening with a packed floor I knew I would never make it to the toilet on time. 3 times I vomited behind my decks and I had to use my towels to mop it up. By the end of the night I could barley stand up but I had no choice but to carry on. Getting back home just after midnight and getting into bed was the one thought that kept me going.

Wow well done that man for the dedication. As the saying goes "the show must go on".
    See you in about 3 days when you wake up.

Do you not have any local back up that can stand in for you? I would have been straight on the phone if i knew if was getting worse, even if it was to come as a well paid roadie. My wife suddenly gave birth a few weeks back, but luckily one of the best DJ's in the area was available and stepped in with about 5 hours notice. it was for a very fussy venues manager wedding, she was not over the moon, but knew the situation. So glad I was there for support.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Well done TO KEEP GOING and get well soon.

The public don't always realise the pressure performers are under at this level.

If you were some well known star you would get massive sympathy, but instead for guys like us are undervalued and if we let somebody down its the end of the world.

You ruined my Party etc but when Fleetwood Mac pulled out of a Birmingham gig recently-- even as people were still travelling to the event--apparently that's all right!

Which makes it all the more annoying when people don't want to pay cancellation fees.

Its not always possible of course to get people to fill in at short notice, often these things tend to happen at the busiest time of the year when EVERYONE is booked.

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    You ruined my Party etc but when Fleetwood Mac pulled out of a Birmingham gig recently-- even as people were still travelling to the event--apparently that's all right!
    Oh well, Did they go their own way then? Shame they don't stop
    Bet they are never going back again
    Last edited by yourdj; 23-11-2015 at 11:17 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Did they go their own way then?
    Don't know, but a lot of people lost a fortune on travelling twice, staying in Hotels etc and never got a penny back.

But Ill bet you would have an angry Bride suing you for huge sums of money if you did a no show at a Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Murphy View Post

Now THAT is what I call dedication! (says he, from his sick bed).

Hope you're feeling better now. That made me feel anxious and ill just reading it because I understand exactly what you're saying because its happened to me in the past before. The annoying thing on that occasion was that I had someone with me who was no help whatsover. Whereas my immune system is rubbish and I catch everything going, this guy was never ill.
    It was a 40th birthday party about 15 years ago and I was working for the guy's company. He came out with me one night as he knew the birthday girl so I was the driver and he stood with me enjoying his beer and the atmosphere.
    I was fine before I went out but just as I started I began to get really hot and dizzy. Within 30 minutes I was feeling proper rough and I was getting more and more anxious as I began to panic. I felt sick too but I wasn't sick. I had caught some bug and was nipping out in between songs to get some fresh air. The guy I was with just told me to get on with it and stop being a turd. I wasn't impressed at all. Somehow I got through it but the next day the bug properly kicked in and I was in bed for a few days.

One of the worst things ever is having to do this job when you're ill. Trying to put a smiley, happy, brave face on when you're feeling like death isn't fun at all is it.

I arranged my own cover from my hospital bed one Friday afternoon for both the following day and the Sunday.

An initial ride in big yellow van with a very impressive, but only blue light show and very boring duotonic sounds (nee-nar-nee-nar) took me there and, after 5 hours in A&E I was transferred to the ward.

Wired up to monitors and machines that went "ping" for, as it turned out, for the next 4 days, I didn't think I would be able to get there on the Saturday night. I was right, and on the Sunday night , I was given another free ride to another hospital to have a tube stuck in my wrist to fix my dicky ticker.

Don't know about Fleetwood Mac, but in the words of Free, I'm All right now.

It's times like that when you wish you'd chosen a normal job where you could come back in a couple of days and do the work

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Still keeping close to toilet.

Although at the end of the night I was feeling awful, a young lad put his thumbs up to me and said great music, and his girlfriend said thanks for playing her requests.

That was enough for me to think to myself, it was worth it.