Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do they think we were born yesterday?

Default Do they think we were born yesterday?

Seems my phone number is getting around to lots of marketing companies now. Sigh. But this morning I took a call from a company claiming to be working for a venue I know, putting a 'portfolio' of recommended suppliers together. Would I be interested in attending a meeting there? Hell yeah, I said. Oh wait, is there a catch? Yes of course there is! A £500 catch. What does that buy me then? Oh, just a mention in a brochure for 2 years. Hmmm no. I think I'll pass on this one if it's all the same to you. What a cheek.

Note, I know the guy who is the real recommended supplier at that hotel & they give him a lot of work. I suspect if I phoned the venue they wouldn't know anything about the brochure company.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Seems my phone number is getting around to lots of marketing companies now. Sigh. But this morning I took a call from a company claiming to be working for a venue I know, putting a 'portfolio' of recommended suppliers together. Would I be interested in attending a meeting there? Hell yeah, I said. Oh wait, is there a catch? Yes of course there is! A £500 catch. What does that buy me then? Oh, just a mention in a brochure for 2 years. Hmmm no. I think I'll pass on this one if it's all the same to you. What a cheek.

Note, I know the guy who is the real recommended supplier at that hotel & they give him a lot of work. I suspect if I phoned the venue they wouldn't know anything about the brochure company.
    Reminds me of an 'inquiry' I had for a corporate event which turns out to be a local business magazine wanting to talk to me about corporate events, put together a focus piece on my business and charge me £2,000 +VAT.

My exact response was "You can right off." Cheeky sods disguising it as an inquiry.

Print media is dead money. Short of venue brochures that they hand out to all clients who have booked an event with them, it's not worth the money anymore.

The wedding industry is perfect for this as its full of hobbyists that have no idea about business.

I had a meeting with a company like that and give their dues the brochure was very well put together. Assuming that it's effectively a free brochure for the hotel to have, it looks good (i.e. you get a quarter page ad) and they give the brides the brochure on each sales meeting/showcase then it might be money well spent. On that occasion I decided not to go for it. My main question would be 'how many are you printing for the hotel, where will it be promoted and can i have the contact of the wedding sales staff to check your credentials".

IMO its better than muppets that tell you you can be no1 on Google, when you already are no1. Luckily I don't use my phone at all, so have the privilege of it never even ringing!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 25-11-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

If I was truly going to be given the option of being a venue's recommended supplier I'd at the very least think it would have to be a place I've actually worked before

I've had more 'unique marketing opportunity' phone calls than genuine enquiries so far. It's only mildly annoying. Obviously people fall for this kind of crap or nobody would bother trying it on.

I would be rather put out if the hotel I was recommended at, let this company come in and call any tom Dick and Harry and say that they will be the "recommended supplier". if the hotel are in on it, then it shows a complete lack of professionalism as anyone could be recommended whether they have just set up shop or not. Bit like a wedding fair.

Depends on the quality of the hotel and the types of clients it attracts I guess? A DJ Dave that has just bought a set of actives and VDJ might suit a tatty 3 star?

Heheh. Time was, when I was literally the only DJ I knew who wasn't called DAVE. Of course I knew DJs had other names - just all the DJs I spoke to personally were called Dave.

I know what you mean though. I've been in touch with the guy I know who covers that venue & he said he's had the same lot onto him! The venue have nothing to do with it & I've googled the phone number used - the company name I found that way told me they've been burning people this way for quite a while now. It's purely a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Depends on the quality of the hotel and the types of clients it attracts I guess? A DJ Dave that has just bought a set of actives and VDJ might suit a tatty 3 star?
    That's the exact reason why I changed my name to DJ David.
    Distinguish myself from the herd.

The most annoying call I get is one where they're like

"Hi this is Toby from Dorset Police and Crime commissioner"
    "Oh, Right yes how can I help?"
    "We've noticed you're a wedding DJ is that correct?"
    "Yes.... I am...."
    "Okay well it's nothing to worry about, we're running an awareness magazine for your area and wondered if you can help?"

We all know where this is going, but what a real cheeky way of opening a line of conversation!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    That's the exact reason why I changed my name to DJ David.
    Distinguish myself from the herd.

The most annoying call I get is one where they're like

"Hi this is Toby from Dorset Police and Crime commissioner"
    "Oh, Right yes how can I help?"
    "We've noticed you're a wedding DJ is that correct?"
    "Yes.... I am...."
    "Okay well it's nothing to worry about, we're running an awareness magazine for your area and wondered if you can help?"

We all know where this is going, but what a real cheeky way of opening a line of conversation!
    i remember getting them years back for the ambulance.
    I said "thats a scam isn't it" they said "YES MATE, its a scam" in a sarcastic voice.
    That attitude said it all really. One of the reasons I stopped using my phone.

i remember getting them years back for the ambulance.
    I said "thats a scam isn't it" they said "YES MATE, its a scam" in a sarcastic voice.
    That attitude said it all really. One of the reasons I stopped using my phone.
    Toby, you seem to run a successful business, so how does that work without a phone?

I have done several gigs by internet correspondence only but not exclusively.

Cheers

ALAN
    CRAZY K

I have a set of actives and VDJ. Are you saying that I would only suit 3* Hotels?

I do love the way that you write people off or stereotype them Toby.