Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small gig speakers for 50-200 people

Default test

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Even a crap cheap sub like the Alto 15 will transform your tops. I've got to say two things. Make that three.
    1) Listen before you buy, because:
    2) with the wooden twelves, you'll be amazed how much bass you get. It's a listening bass, rather than a thumping you in the chest bass.
    3) I bought a cheap Alto sub to help the LDs out, and since I got the Proels, it rarely goes out. Nowadays, if I need more than the twelves can offer, I use the fifteens. If it's a big one, then I add the two LD subs under the twelves. The Alto is almost surplus to requirements.

Perfectly. Especially driven by a PV2600. Until I got the Proels, I was looking for some cheap ULs.

Wales is a tad far away, or between three of us in Yorkshire, we could demo anything you're looking at. Dunno if Coalville is within your range, but keep an eye out for news of the annual meet there. More cabs in one room than you'll ever hear anywhere else.
    Cheers for the pointers. I am torn between 12's or 15's truth be told.
    Will see if i can demo some stuff even if i have to travel.

Coalville is way out of my range, but I'm damn sure going to be there before I buy any new PA gear. Assuming I don't see any silly bargains on Gumtree before then that is.

Even a crap cheap sub like the Alto 15 will transform your tops.
    And some can be fantastic, especially second hand. My 12 inch LD Dave has lasted years now and still is my only bass without Yamahaa.
    Probably only worth about £250 now.

If you do go and listen you will be astounded at how much bass the Yamahas add. Not so much volume but depth.
    I really notice it when i don't have the Yamahaa now. I bought it for back up and in some events I don't have it next to me.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

As I am getting a little older and my back is knackered I bought a pair of the new Mackie Thumps, can carry one in each hand they are so light. I was a little reticent as have been using the SRM450's and thought maybe there would be a huge difference in performance, bearing in mind they have a slightly narrower frequency range.

In reality, used them NYE, for about 150 very noisy people and pushed them hard, was pretty happy with the sound quality, they performed so well left the subs in the van.

Guests were happy, so while I have little doubt some of the high end gear being discussed will be even better, not sure if it makes enough of a difference to general customers or functions of the size you are suggesting. So would consider these in the mix if I were you.
    Http://www.heartandsouldisco.co.uk

Wedding DJ and Mobile Disco in Sussex and Surrey

Quote Originally Posted by HeartandSoul View Post
    As I am getting a little older and my back is knackered I bought a pair of the new Mackie Thumps, can carry one in each hand they are so light. So would consider these in the mix if I were you.
    There are conflicting reviews of those on here, and enough of them are negative to make me wary. There's one on here where a lad ran them side by side with some QTX, and was embarrassed by how much better the QTX were.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Personally I wouldn't touch Thumps with somebody else's barge pole, and I'm a Mackie fan, but I suppose it all depends on the type of gigs you're performing at, and the cost of buying second hand, they could be a viable 'budget buy' choice. However, if you were contemplating buying new Thumps I would recommend you use the cash to buy a S/H pair of decent quality speakers.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Default thumps

There are conflicting reviews of those on here, and enough of them are negative to make me wary. There's one on here where a lad ran them side by side with some QTX, and was embarrassed by how much better the QTX were.

I am not looking at thumps tbh. I originally looked and reviews mixed with high second hand prices ruled them out.

I don't see hardly any good speakers going second hand in my searches tbh.

As regards the Mackie Thumps, are the bad reviews about the newer 500w version 3? I know the older "Tepco" versions were garbage which my ears confirmed when I heard them. Thought the latest upgrade and power increase might have sorted them out?

The 15s look useful for 18th's as they are reasonably cheap, reasonably light but go very low according to data.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    I am not looking at thumps tbh. I originally looked and reviews mixed with high second hand prices ruled them out.

I don't see hardly any good speakers going second hand in my searches tbh.
    that's my experience. I think a lot of the best 2nd user PA changes hands behind closed doors Bargains pop up once in a while, but the vast majority of the stuff for sale on ebay & gumtree is junk (same with lighting, generally).

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    that's my experience. I think a lot of the best 2nd user PA changes hands behind closed doors Bargains pop up once in a while, but the vast majority of the stuff for sale on ebay & gumtree is junk (same with lighting, generally).
    Which is why I only buy secondhand from people on here or DJs I know