Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use an estate for smaller gigs?

Lack of parking where we live would be the main problem with running a 2nd vehicle. It the time I was using the hatchback we lived down a cul de sac with no on street parking and only space for one vehicle on the driveway

Always use a van , and as I use the same kit for everything from children`s party to weddings , it fits perfectly , however there has been occasions where i have had to use the land rover , its a bit of a squeeze , but it fits snuggly

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by soundscapes View Post
    Lack of parking where we live would be the main problem with running a 2nd vehicle. It the time I was using the hatchback we lived down a cul de sac with no on street parking and only space for one vehicle on the driveway
    Same issue with me. The missus has her own small car and there's already a couple of vans round here. It would just be impossible with another van. And I don't want one anyway!

I've always used estate cars, and always dreamed about how easy a van would be !!!

I went for a (very) used bmw 5 series estate as it has self levelling suspension so I can load it up and it doesn't look like its about to take off. It also comes with a cargo net, although this does reduce available space a bit.

If I went for a van it would be one of the smaller ones - VW transporter size maximum.

The good thing about using a car is it focuses the mind when buying gear - in the past I've purchased things which just become a huge pain in the butt to lug around.

I'd like to think I've learned by my mistakes over the years but there always seems to be a new "learning experience" just around the corner !! (Most recent one being the Equinox DJ booth which is great but just too big, so I end up using the Ultimax far more)

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    Yes i have read a fair bit about bulkheads etc, but same scenario for anyone carrying anything in an estate inc Ikea flat pack stuff etc.

Can't really afford to run two cars again. If i was gigging a few times pw then sure thing i would get a peugeot partner van or a transit
    People carrier? My Zafira seats fold forward creating quite an impressively strong barrier. I would still like to bolt a couple of steel bars to the door sills. I use a solid god ting above that but could also do with something better. Everything is packed nice and tight with no projectiles. I would say safer than a larger van with all the kit at the back and about 2 metres of projectile space to impact on the bulkhead, which can still cause damage.

To answer your question yes everything does fit in an estate, but I far prefer the people carrier, as its less bending and easier loading etc. Astras and the like should have the ability to fit a bulkhead as they do the vans, but don't quote me on that?
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default bmw

Quote Originally Posted by RobKennedy View Post
    I've always used estate cars, and always dreamed about how easy a van would be !!!

I went for a (very) used bmw 5 series estate as it has self levelling suspension so I can load it up and it doesn't look like its about to take off. It also comes with a cargo net, although this does reduce available space a bit.

If I went for a van it would be one of the smaller ones - VW transporter size maximum.

The good thing about using a car is it focuses the mind when buying gear - in the past I've purchased things which just become a huge pain in the butt to lug around.

I'd like to think I've learned by my mistakes over the years but there always seems to be a new "learning experience" just around the corner !! (Most recent one being the Equinox DJ booth which is great but just too big, so I end up using the Ultimax far more)
    Funny enough i was looking at older bmw estates as a dj car.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    Funny enough i was looking at older bmw estates as a dj car.
    Rubbish sized boot door, and the roof slants down making it hard to put screens/booths in it.
    The more square ones make better estates for Djing, but the BMW does look good.
    The last estate I had was an impreza Wagon, that was a lovely looking car & 4WD which was handy in the ice.
    Plenty of other ones about with larger boot doors. My friend just bought a passat, it looks great and it perfect for Djing.

You could consider a camper/transporter and also then have a personal car for trips and holidays?
    I will probably get one when I have a larger house and the kid (s) are growing up, big dogs are in heaven.

I can then treat myself to a kids/dogs free sports saloon of some sort. i miss my Alfa Spider.
    Last edited by yourdj; 04-01-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default estate

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Rubbish sized boot door, and the roof slants down making it hard to put screens/booths in it.
    The more square ones make better estates for Djing, but the BMW does look good.
    The last estate I had was an impreza Wagon, that was a lovely looking car & 4WD which was handy in the ice.
    Plenty of other ones about with larger boot doors. My friend just bought a passat, it looks great and it perfect for Djing.

You could consider a camper/transporter and also then have a personal car for trips and holidays?
    I will probably get one when I have a larger house and the kid (s) are growing up, big dogs are in heaven.

I can then treat myself to a kids/dogs free sports saloon of some sort. i miss my Alfa Spider.
    Yes they look ok. I've driven a 2007 mondeo and that was huge inside. Would love 4wd but such cars and indeed VW transporters are way too pricey.

I have to think practicality. I am a club dj and will probably be initially mobile on a sat to start. If there is other work i would indeed take it , but a van for me at the start is not viable. Estate ticks all the boxes and makes sure i buy stuff i will use and fit in the estate.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

People carrier? My Zafira seats fold forward creating quite an impressively strong barrier. I would still like to bolt a couple of steel bars to the door sills. I use a solid god ting above that but could also do with something better. Everything is packed nice and tight with no projectiles. I would say safer than a larger van with all the kit at the back and about 2 metres of projectile space to impact on the bulkhead, which can still cause damage.

To answer your question yes everything does fit in an estate, but I far prefer the people carrier, as its less bending and easier loading etc. Astras and the like should have the ability to fit a bulkhead as they do the vans, but don't quote me on that?

. I would say safer than a larger van with all the kit at the back and about 2 metres of projectile space to impact on the bulkhead, which can still cause damage.
    Here's an idea, Toby. Put the kit through the side door, tight to the bulkhead.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk