Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VHF, UHF or 2.4ghz Wireless Microphone

Default VHF, UHF or 2.4ghz Wireless Microphone

I'm in the market for a new wireless microphone.

I have a cheapo wireless mic that I use for anyone that wants it when drunk, and that does great. But it does offer suffer from interference.

As I'm about to start providing audio for the wedding speeches, I want something more reliable.

I'm not massively hung up about sound quality, as I know most people won't even use the microphone properly, but as long as it doesn't sound bad.

What I'm more interested in, is what form of technology is most reliable for getting a good signal back to the base unit. Is it VHF, UHF or the newish 2.4ghz mics?

My current wireless mic is UHF.

I'm fairly certain from memory that VHF is rubbish, so was wondering what experience anyone has had with 2.4ghz - and is UHF better with a decent system?

Would ideally like to spend between £100 - £200.

Thanks!

Have a look at http://www.justmics.co.uk/PBSCProduc...FRQ6Gwod4w4MAQ for the money very good we have several in our hire stock and never been a problem,orginally made by another company does no eat batterys and have 4 frequencys.

If it helps I've used one of those Trantec mics at least once a week for over the last year and never had a problem, much to my amazement.

Part of the job often involves wandering off round the venue with it and even this has been fine.

I know KAM offer some very decent quality radio mikes, we have an old one here from Mr Need a Disco that was used only last night at a Corporate for speeches and despite a noisy on off switch on ours amazingly good quality and value.

Personally I would up the budget if wanting something possibly a bit better for Weddings and go for my fave--JTS.

Had one for 10 years and the other about 5 years, no issues except the new one has a battery carrier that can allow the batteries to move slightly and affect connection, only happened once, same night I had my first puncture for 10 years, only a problem if you are using the microphone as a tool of trade with it moving around rather than to announce last orders at the bar

Totally reliable in all situations except near Naval Installations, in particular Portsmouth where I had a problem years ago at the David LLoyd Club.

Go for UHF whatever you buy. Make sure there is a warning when battery running low.

Check effective range also, I work up to 50 feet away from base unit in crowds of dancers-- no problem.

Have a look at type of batteries--I prefer the ones with 2x AA. How easy to change quickly on a gig?

Ideally road test on a gig before buying--see what the sound feedback is like--very important, I find nowadays using my Ultimate Speaker Stands to elevate speakers makes feedback redundant even in front of them.

Nowadays, I don't know what I would recommend. I'm finding what I take to be interference a problem at some venues. Normally, it manifests itself as dropout, although I did have one occasion where it was an awful intermittent noise.
    I think the airwaves are becoming quite crowded, and I'd suggest whatever you get should have as many available channels as possible.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Nowadays, I don't know what I would recommend. I'm finding what I take to be interference a problem at some venues. Normally, it manifests itself as dropout, although I did have one occasion where it was an awful intermittent noise.
    I think the airwaves are becoming quite crowded, and I'd suggest whatever you get should have as many available channels as possible.
    Do you think your unit is faulty Peter, surely you shouldnt get dropout from a quality Radio Mike unless a vast distance between the transmitter and receiver.

I did have a shedload of trouble though with my EV Radio mike that NEVER worked properly, background noises and cracking noises--if the DJ shop where I won it in a customer raffle followed my instructions it will now be at the bottom of a river somewhere where it might be of some use

I think the JTS has more than one frequency on the new model but have never even bothered to think about it as never had any problems other than Naval bases.

ALAN

My Kam ones are great range and quality. Great pick up so you talk over it rather than into it, very handy for wedding speeches when it ends up at the speakers crotch.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct...52533776489880

Name:  kam_kwm1960_hh_kit_audio_works_3.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  4.4 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-01-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Do you think your unit is faulty Peter, surely you shouldnt get dropout from a quality Radio Mike unless a vast distance between the transmitter and receiver.
    Not unless all of ours (Kam & Shure) have the same problem. Fine 99.9% of the time, 2 venues where they are no end of trouble.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Not unless all of ours (Kam & Shure) have the same problem. Fine 99.9% of the time, 2 venues where they are no end of trouble.
    Steve, is that dropout over short distances--also what sort of venues are they--I once worked in an old Village Hall which had dodgy electrics and caused noises--but no drop outs--

Certainly I have had trouble near Forces ( Navy) Installations.

I really have no idea as its a pretty complicated subject as you cant see anything physical of course.

Actually I had a drop out last night--forgot to screw in the two aerials on the back of the unit--silly boy --(gives himself a slap)

Both 4 Star hotels.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries