Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Using External Hard drive with Apple mac pro

Default Using External Hard drive with Apple mac pro

Good Morning All

I seem to have created another problem for myself when using my new play-out laptop

As the memory on the unit is not enough to store my Music i use a 1x 1tb Harddrive plus 1 x 2 tb Harddrive.

When i open virtual DJ i locate the file and using "ADD TO BATCH" function my questions are:

Do i have add the hard-drive to search every time i set up to play a gig?

Why do i have lots of files that are identified through search but will not play (it says error and puts an X through the music symbol)?

Can i delete all the tracks which have errors in one go?

Thanks

Thomas

VDJ just remembers the address of where the file is stored and doesn't physically locate the file everytime unless you load it into the player. So the programme has remembered that you have say 'Uptown Funk' and it was located F:\Music even if you don't have the hard drive connected. The problem come as you are using 2 hard drives, when you first used VDJ the Mac might have addressed your 1TB drive as F:\drive and the 2TB drive as G:\Drive depending on the order you plugged the drive in.

If you then start up the Mac again and plug the drives in a different order so the 2TB is F:\drive etc it doesn't tell that to VDJ. VDJ still thinks 'Uptown Funk' is sitting in F:\drive which of course it isn't anymore.

My advice is to make sure that when you connect the drives you always connect them in the same order EVERY time, otherwise it just keeps going round and round. You can clear the search cashe in VDI and start again

Can you assign "static" drive letters with a Mac? If so, then you should so then rebuild your VDJ library. That way, you don't need to remember which order you're plugging external USB devices in and VDJ will not have a problem locating your tracks.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

OK thanks Andy so i have basically confused the whole system by plugging the h/drives into different ports that makes sense im due to get a powered USB drive this week so i will colour code the drives so they are always plugged into the same place and i will also clear the cache which will delete all the crap.

Thanks DazzyD i am not sure about the static drive option but i will look into it.

One thing puzzle's me is why you need to have 3TB of music available on your laptop? back on the days when I was using a Denon HD2500 I had a 500GB hard drive + about 128GB on the internal HD drive and never once needed music I didn't have, in fact I'd got space to spare on the external drive to add any pre gig requests to it before the event.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    One thing puzzle's me is why you need to have 3TB of music available on your laptop?
    Very good question please allow me to elaborate,My number one passion is for house music I have collected this since the early days of Acid house and the Italian house era,right up to current underground tracks when I play at a bar or club I take this collection (The 1tb HD) however the majority of my work is weddings, birthdays etc this is where my other 2tb which holds all the music I have collected since I did my first disco at 14 years old (lots of breaks in between then and now)some of it copied from vinyl,yes I don't need all this music and was about to have a big clear out however in another post I was advised to always take all my music with me just in case I can make someone's night with that special obscure track they love,and when I thought about it I agreed with that comment.

Not to say in the future that I wont have a clear out however with a full time job plus weekends not sure when I will have the time