Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you always meet potential clients who request a meeting?

If asked, then yes, but I find very very few want to meet - which is fine by me.

I actually get quite a few bookings from couples saying other DJs were too pushy - insisting on meetings, time plans, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    This would have made an interesting poll.
    Yes if possible, at the venue or on Skype.

I don't have a day job so have time to spare and its all costed into my main price.
    And that could be a interesting second poll - 'what is included in your fee'.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 26-04-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: merged posts
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hmmmm. Benny, I think you ought to take a leaf out of Toby's book.
    I don't have a 'day job' either. Just awkward clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hmmmm. Benny, I think you ought to take a leaf out of Toby's book.
    The trick is clever use of calendar management. I don't ever do more than 3 in a row or 4 in a day though. But they could come to you or a local venue near to you? I have always wanted a decent house with a cool office that is not attached to the actual house.

I prefer the venue they are getting married at, which as mentioned most often within a 30 min drive (20 usually).

Some clients just don't want to meet. Its a big part of our website, so its in their psychy from the start.
    I find our resident venue clients can sometime be like that though. They don't see the benefit from meeting and lead busy lives.

Some people also find it a bit pushy as they may be forced into booking you.
    I don't like sales meetings at all, unless i am 70% sure from a website or word of mouth.
    Last edited by yourdj; 26-04-2016 at 08:00 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

This topic has come up a number of times before if I remember correctly.
    I only meet customers once they have booked me. It is mentioned when I reply to their email or phone call as part of the service in the quotation.
    I always meet them around 2 weeks before their booking at a time that is convenient for both of us. It is mainly in the evening and at their venue or home and lasts around 45 minutes (depending on how many questions they have).

I have met 1 couple who wanted to meet me before they booked because they had a number of questions (which I have mentioned previously).
    I'd had a very late finish on the Saturday night as I was doing a wedding out of town and this potential customer wanted me to meet them at their house on the Sunday morning. I arrived at the mansion which was also a 15 mile drive away and waited for a while until eventually after some time, they turned up. No apologies for the delay or anything and I immediately felt on edge.

They were having their wedding at the mansion and wanted the Disco to be held outside with additional speakers and other bits to create a kind of Ibiza / Club vibe.
    In reality I wasted nearly 2 hours that Sunday because I answered all of their questions and assured them that what they wanted to do was possible etc.
    All the time I was there I remember the guy being very enthusiastic but the woman was totally up herself and had a face like she had poo under her nose all the time.
    I felt very uncomfortable and when I left the place I immediately thought to myself that it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy doing but if it came off, it would be a decent earner and a case of grinning and bearing it.

I had an email a bit later on thanking me for my time but they'd decided not to go ahead and book me. They didn't give a reason.

I know I could have made this a lot shorter but the main thing is - I didn't and don't like feeling like I am in some kind of audition and have to sell myself and prove myself to people. That was a waste of time and I said to myself I wouldn't do that kind of thing again. If people want to book me then great but I am not running around and wasting my time trying to get a booking by sitting down in what was almost like an interview too.

Toby, in the new house that I have bought there is a 24ft x 13ft garden room that I am going to make into a club house / office type place and I think what I may do is start inviting customers that have already booked me round there for the meetings. I have a few ideas for it once I am settled (mind you, it may change into a bar with pol table, dart board and projector screen etc!).

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    This topic has come up a number of times before if I remember correctly.
    I only meet customers once they have booked me. It is mentioned when I reply to their email or phone call as part of the service in the quotation.
    I always meet them around 2 weeks before their booking at a time that is convenient for both of us. It is mainly in the evening and at their venue or home and lasts around 45 minutes (depending on how many questions they have).

I have met 1 couple who wanted to meet me before they booked because they had a number of questions (which I have mentioned previously).
    I'd had a very late finish on the Saturday night as I was doing a wedding out of town and this potential customer wanted me to meet them at their house on the Sunday morning. I arrived at the mansion which was also a 15 mile drive away and waited for a while until eventually after some time, they turned up. No apologies for the delay or anything and I immediately felt on edge.

They were having their wedding at the mansion and wanted the Disco to be held outside with additional speakers and other bits to create a kind of Ibiza / Club vibe.
    In reality I wasted nearly 2 hours that Sunday because I answered all of their questions and assured them that what they wanted to do was possible etc.
    All the time I was there I remember the guy being very enthusiastic but the woman was totally up herself and had a face like she had poo under her nose all the time.
    I felt very uncomfortable and when I left the place I immediately thought to myself that it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy doing but if it came off, it would be a decent earner and a case of grinning and bearing it.

I had an email a bit later on thanking me for my time but they'd decided not to go ahead and book me. They didn't give a reason.

I know I could have made this a lot shorter but the main thing is - I didn't and don't like feeling like I am in some kind of audition and have to sell myself and prove myself to people. That was a waste of time and I said to myself I wouldn't do that kind of thing again. If people want to book me then great but I am not running around and wasting my time trying to get a booking by sitting down in what was almost like an interview too.

Toby, in the new house that I have bought there is a 24ft x 13ft garden room that I am going to make into a club house / office type place and I think what I may do is start inviting customers that have already booked me round there for the meetings. I have a few ideas for it once I am settled (mind you, it may change into a bar with pol table, dart board and projector screen etc!).
    I agree, its not like you are tendering for a £30,000 building job where you could make a massive profit and if you got one in 3 then you could factor meeting times into the pricing.

These days videos, pictures and websites and a phone call should be enough to make a decision for an evenings Entertainment.

Discussions afterwards after booking are a different matter.

Any clients that comes round to my house for their meeting always sit in my kitchen with a cuppa. I have an office upstairs, but you'll always end up in the kitchen at parties (and it's more relaxing)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Any clients that comes round to my house for their meeting always sit in my kitchen with a cuppa. I have an office upstairs, but you'll always end up in the kitchen at parties (and it's more relaxing)
    Like I said, I usually visit them at the venue (where possible) or their house. Whatever is comfortable for them really.

Like I said, I usually visit them at the venue (where possible) or their house. Whatever is comfortable for them really.
    Sorry, Gary. The reason I quoted you was because you were the last person to say something about converting a room into an office which you can use to meet clients. I just added my kitchen comment as I thought it was relevant. I wasn't singling you out, per se.

My general rule of thumb is if it's a venue that I have never performed at, then the meeting must happen there. If I have a run of gigs at a certain venue, then I hold clinics at that venue. Other than that, I tend to be flexible on meeting locations (although my kitchen obviously saves fuel costs. ).

No problem Benny. I didn't take any offence at all and wasn't niggled by anything you said.
    We work along the same lines in that I will meet the customers at any venue I haven't been to before. The old "Kill 2 birds with 1 stone" thing I guess. I can check the place out, meet the customers and also arrange access and set up times with the co-ordinator or whoever is looking after the couple. If I haven't already sold them the Uplighting then I will also see if it would be viable to provide it and offer it, sometimes at discount to try and up the fee a bit and it usually works but saying that, it must be around 90% of my bookings that have Uplighting included in the booking anyway.

The reason I mentioned the conversion was that I thought it might be a good idea especially with the chilled vibe I have for the place but then saying that, I do really like the idea of me having a cool looking 'club house' where I can just get away from everything. The new place has 3 bedrooms and there are only 2 of us and 1 of the bedrooms is perfect for my office anyway so the big place out back may turn into something special.......eventually!

Interesting views lads, and I don't think there's a cast iron best answer, ( other than if it's a fresh venue, then meeting there is by far the best option.

Whether Benny's kitchen, or Gary's chillout lounge give a better impression than an office, well I genuinely don't know. There's a lot to be said for customer's homes, as they should feel at ease there.

There are plusses and minuses for each, and I've had meetings in venues, customers' homes, and my own. Basically, the customer has the choice.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk