Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another good reason not to use anything Apple

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Your friend would be well advised to do some basic reading FIRSTLY ON IPODS, its all out there on the net.

YOU NEVER plug an I pod into a computer unless its your host PC or YOU WANT YOUR IPOD COLLECTION WRECKED.

Otherwise the Ipod gets wiped and the host collection, however large or small of the PC gets put on your I pod.

Im not defending a stupid idea--however thats how it works folks.
    We've gotta be talking 12 years ago now, I'm not sure it was so widely available then. As it happened the ipod broke about 4 times after repair and repair.

We're both now not big fans of apple. I've never bought anything Apple myself as I keep hearing bad things... Possibly overdone because they're the tech giant but it seems they do underthink things and get away with it Scot free sometimes.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Some of the things about the whole Apple microcosm I absolutely get. They make shiny things which are in many ways really easy to use. But... They're made so easy to use by way of restricting features. The big thing for me with their handhelds is... "Oh you want more storage? BUY A NEW ONE WITH MORE STORAGE!". Then there are some aspects of the user interface. Want to uninstall an app? Ah, just find the icon for it on whichever screen it's on (which might take a while) then long press it til the icons wobble then delete it. You can't uninstall apps from the app store. That particular feature had me scratching my head for a while.

Oh, then there's the whole registration thing. My parents gave my kids an iPad they didn't want anymore & it needed to be reset to defaults. I had to set up an Apple account. Ohhh boy. They don't want much data about users do they? Why does a portable device want my home address?! (for billing, I know but that's beside the point). For all the Android devices I've had all I did was enter my Google account details & away I went.

Nah. Apple can go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Some of the things about the whole Apple microcosm I absolutely get. They make shiny things which are in many ways really easy to use. But... They're made so easy to use by way of restricting features. The big thing for me with their handhelds is... "Oh you want more storage? BUY A NEW ONE WITH MORE STORAGE!". Then there are some aspects of the user interface. Want to uninstall an app? Ah, just find the icon for it on whichever screen it's on (which might take a while) then long press it til the icons wobble then delete it. You can't uninstall apps from the app store. That particular feature had me scratching my head for a while.

Oh, then there's the whole registration thing. My parents gave my kids an iPad they didn't want anymore & it needed to be reset to defaults. I had to set up an Apple account. Ohhh boy. They don't want much data about users do they? Why does a portable device want my home address?! (for billing, I know but that's beside the point). For all the Android devices I've had all I did was enter my Google account details & away I went.

Nah. Apple can go to hell.
    I think if you had owned Apple products for a while you might have a different view--we value RELIABILITY here despite some comments to the contrary and have had total reliability over 7 years with several I pods and 2 I pads.

Yes there are some annoying registration issues--the reason they want your home address is I think to do with the MAPS feature which we LOVE HERE.

Punch in the post code of a potential gig and use the Directions facility and in seconds you have your route and distance and approx travel time--very useful for pricing gigs quickly---far better than messing around with Green Flag etc.

But theres loads of choice out there for you.

I bought a used i7 machine for back up.
    I twisted the SATA cable yesterday and "hard drive question mark time".
    Still need to test it but its probably the SATA as they are quite delicate.

i have been through at least two on every machine now. USB boot should solve the problem.

On another note and one that relevant. My roadie plugged in the photographers iPhone to charge last night.
    In a socket or charger NO, in my frigging laptop!!

It screwed up iTunes (no idea how) for about an hour, but its back on track now.
    Somehow gained some playlists I deleted 3 days ago?

I was not best pleased. I said don't plug anything in thats not mine, even your phone!!! He should know better.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    I think if you had owned Apple products for a while you might have a different view--we value RELIABILITY here despite some comments to the contrary and have had total reliability over 7 years with several I pods and 2 I pads.

Yes there are some annoying registration issues--the reason they want your home address is I think to do with the MAPS feature which we LOVE HERE.

Punch in the post code of a potential gig and use the Directions facility and in seconds you have your route and distance and approx travel time--very useful for pricing gigs quickly---far better than messing around with Green Flag etc.

But theres loads of choice out there for you.
    I think Google had that functionality years before Apple?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Further to the original post, it seems that Apple are agreeing that in " a small amount of cases " deletion of music has occurred, but nobody knows why, and they can't recreate the problem. Think I'll stick to Spotify and Media Monkey, thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

My my this is pertinent

My main DJ laptop jobbied the bed on Sunday. It seems to be back in order now but I'm no longer comfortable as having it my main machine.

The back up runs OK now that I've took all the junkware it was bundled with off it. It's only ever been used as a backup for gigs but still, those early days of it freezing on VDJ have always put me on edge.

Sooooooooooo tonight I finally dug out the refurbed macbook I bought before Santa came - lo and behold it switched on, updated and after half an hour of trying to work out wtf I was doing I had my music on it, my dmx and all the lighting gubbins.

I'm going to pick up a new macbook on the way home from work tomorrow and basically have them as mirrors of each other DJ wise plus use the new one for business, work and maybe a bit of recording and video editing.

Anyhoo - question: I know I'm probably not doing this the right way but I've put all of my music folders from the windows machine onto the desktop of the mac. I've not installed VDJ yet but I assume it'll just be a case of finding them in the file menu and everything will work like it should.

Providing I keep all of my stuff away from iTunes and whatever this other thing is - I shouldn't have any problems with stuff disappearing?

I have everything backed up on 2 pen drives I carry on my keys so would in theory always have 2 back up libraries even if the two machines deleted files at gigs but it's not a situation I fancy having to deal with in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Providing I keep all of my stuff away from iTunes and whatever this other thing is - I shouldn't have any problems with stuff disappearing?
    I have never had any problems with iTunes and Serato and have been using it since it first came out with Scratch SL1.
    Not that iTunes has had the odd annoying bug (always sorted with new updates)!
    I think the current version now is the best; stable and most thought-through version to date.

VDJ may be a different story though as thats a program for amateur DJ's, a bit like Using Windoze.
    Proper DJ's use MacBooks.

Name:  a9c0ee9ce09b7486512ac615fcc36fc0-DJ.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  31.1 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 21-09-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Proper DJ's use MacBooks.

Name:  a9c0ee9ce09b7486512ac615fcc36fc0-DJ.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  31.1 KB
    I'm laughing, and I'm laughing because you've posted a photo of Avicii to emphasise your point, but youve ended up undermining it. That would be Avicii, who is one of the worst DJs I have ever seen perform and I promise it's not just because he moves his hand around like he's controlling Kermit, or any other muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I'm laughing, and I'm laughing because you've posted a photo of Avicii to emphasise your point, but youve ended up undermining it. That would be Avicii, who is one of the worst DJs I have ever seen perform and I promise it's not just because he moves his hand around like he's controlling Kermit, or any other muppet.
    Thats the point. He does not even use Macs by the looks of things, nor do most big DJ's when looking on Images.
    They have a set playlist on a pen drive so Big digital Pioneers are so much better for them.