Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie!

Default Newbie!

Hey there, would like to say hello and that I'm thankful that I have found this site due to embarking on becoming a mobile DJ. I have got my first booking in July and are seeking all information on what equipment I will need and what music I need to purchase. I'm hoping to get at least 2 gigs per week to bring a wage in and have fun doing it.

I have recently finished a BSc Sound Engineering degree and have been a bedroom Dj for a good 20 years mainly electronic music but love all types of music. I also enjoy dabbling in music production and sound design using the most common DAW's and have enjoyed Studio recording for bands/Artists etc

I look forward to meeting like minded people on here and hope that maybe I can help people out too when I get more experience.

I thought I may as well include some of my current kit to give some kind of idea of what I use......

Pair of Pioneer CDJ800 MKII
    Pair of Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB
    Behringer DDM4000
    Native Instruments Traktor S4 MKII
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    RME Babyface
    Pro Tools 12
    Cubase 8.5 Pro
    Logic X
    Ableton Live 9
    Akai APC 40
    Akai APC 20
    Macbook Pro Retina Early 2015
    Custom Built PC

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Great intro, Anthony.

Welcome to hell.

Hello Anthony.
    There will be no shortage of advice, some of which will be conflicting. That's the nature of the beast. Your background is not unlike one or two on here, so I reckon there are some kindred spirits.
    Your biggest hurdle will be music, and here's a thread we had earlier on the subject.

Pull up a keyboard, and get stuck in.

Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Much appreciated and thanks for the info as I have heard different things about licensing to do with the music which I find quite strange due to being a newbie.

I have so many questions Music, Hardware and Venue related so I'll get posting.

Many thanks,

Tony.

You seem to have some decent kit there, but what are you intending to use PA wise, and what plans do you have regarding marketing to attract/find the 2 gigs a week you are planning on? Getting decent kit is important, but it's the easy bit, getting a regular supply of well paid gigs in the early years, is frequently the hardest part. Good luck with the venture.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Hi there I was thinking of a pair of RCF 715 Active MKII's to begin with and then possibly a Sub or 2. Do you think the RCF's will do the job?

I was hoping word of mouth will help with getting gigs as thats how I got my first, but yeah when it comes to advertising I thought I would use social media and the web primarily as I think that is the way the world is going. Whenever I want something the first thing I do is fire up Google and thats what my niece did to book her DJ for her 18th birthday party. Basically I will try to use the cheapest forms of advertising to begin with which to me is the internet. If I were making enough money maybe I would try local newspapers, directories etc

To be honest though I am new to every aspect of the mobile DJ thing, I can produce and mix music and have a good ear for good tunes however playing at disco's is new to me. I see people doing it though and I check out their gig logs/recordings/mixes and feel confident I could do it to the same standards and if they are getting gigs I feel I may as well try myself as I have half the equipment already for personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Hi there I was thinking of a pair of RCF 715 Active MKII's to begin with and then possibly a Sub or 2. Do you think the RCF's will do the job?
    I think the RCF 715 Active MKII's would be a great choice if you have the budget, and I doubt you would need subs with them unless you are getting some pretty big gigs.
    I wouldn't rely on newspaper ads for work, they've not produced the goods for years, Facebook and Google are the way forward but Google can take quite a time to get up the rankings so the sooner you start with that the better. Make sure you get a 'reactive 'site, i.e. one that displays your site correctly across the various potable media devices, there are a few people here who can advise you on this far better than I can.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

If you're planning on getting subs further on down the line, I'd buy the 712's. They sound great on their own, have enough bass and will save you a little money.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    If you're planning on getting subs further on down the line, I'd buy the 712's. They sound great on their own, have enough bass and will save you a little money.
    Thanks for that mate! I'm intrigued when comparing the 712's with the 715's as the only difference I can see apart from the dimensions and weight is 1dB SPL. They both have the same frequency response therefore I need to see if I can demo these against each other in a store somewhere.

Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!