Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use an external sound card to pre hear music?

Default Do you use an external sound card to pre hear music?

I used an echo Indigo DJ but it snapped. So I thought I couldn't go far wrong purchasing second hand but, guess what, it doesn't work!

Looking for advice on what others use on their laptops to pre-hear.

Thanks

I'm confused. My controller has a built in soundcard, and can allow me to listen to tracks before playing them.

I assume you're using an external sound card with your laptop, which you would then feed into your DJ mixer. This mixer would also allow PFL ( Pre Fade Listening )

If you want recommendations, the ESI Maya are very good, or the Numark DJIO is reliable also.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm confused. My controller has a built in soundcard, and can allow me to listen to tracks before playing them.

I assume you're using an external sound card with your laptop, which you would then feed into your DJ mixer. This mixer would also allow PFL ( Pre Fade Listening )

If you want recommendations, the ESI Maya are very good, or the Numark DJIO is reliable also.
    Thanks. Will check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I was thinking that, even with just a laptop you can use a splitter and still use the laptop soundcard?
    I am assuming you want a better quality of sound perhaps?
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

If I just use the laptop then I route the sound out to the mixer via an external USB soundcard (it's actually an old SoundBlaster card so it comes with it's own control panel for tweaking the sound before it gets to the mixer which can come in handy if I'm struggling to get the sound right just using the mixer). For monitoring the sound, I use the laptop's headphone jack as it's I've got decent onboard sound.

This setup works for me, anyway!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Default soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    If I just use the laptop then I route the sound out to the mixer via an external USB soundcard (it's actually an old SoundBlaster card so it comes with it's own control panel for tweaking the sound before it gets to the mixer which can come in handy if I'm struggling to get the sound right just using the mixer). For monitoring the sound, I use the laptop's headphone jack as it's I've got decent onboard sound.

This setup works for me, anyway!
    I play in a club where i cannot use a controller and use a Native Instruments Audio 2 usb soundcard. Best i have come across for size and portability. Works with VDJ and Traktor and even just as a sound card. Mk11's are like £30-50 now.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I was thinking that, even with just a laptop you can use a splitter and still use the laptop soundcard?
    I am assuming you want a better quality of sound perhaps?
    Using a splitter only gives you mono sound. With a separate card, you at least have the option of stereo playback.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Using a splitter only gives you mono sound. With a separate card, you at least have the option of stereo playback.
    OK, got you. I have my system in mono (I use decks) but can see why you would not want it.

I just bought a splitter for my iPad using Djay, should arrive tomorrow.

I also bought the controller below, I am not sure if it has its own sound card or not? I don't think it does??
    Great for back up and ceremonies - I just don't feel comfortable with just the iPad!

This looks dead simple. Everything goes quiet, hit play and your back up running.
    Great value for £50 opened box. On amazon. 5 left at £47, some marks apparently on them??
    Looks more impressive than my Macbook Pro and Vestax VCI 300 LOL. We know its not though.

Name:  DJW-front_cropped.png
Views: 111
Size:  317.3 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-05-2016 at 11:03 PM.

There are times when I wish my mixer or playout had a mono switch but I remember my very first rig. It was mono only. No EQ either. Blech. For most gigs now I run in stereo, and for the vast majority of tracks it's better than mono - although I still recall the night I thought I'd blown a horn when a certain NS track was playing. Though I have to admit it came as a massive shock to learn that a heck of a lot of nightclubs don't use stereo. Must remind myself to get/make a mono version of 'Big Girls Don't Cry'...

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    There are times when I wish my mixer or playout had a mono switch but I remember my very first rig. It was mono only. No EQ either. Blech. For most gigs now I run in stereo, and for the vast majority of tracks it's better than mono - although I still recall the night I thought I'd blown a horn when a certain NS track was playing. Though I have to admit it came as a massive shock to learn that a heck of a lot of nightclubs don't use stereo. Must remind myself to get/make a mono version of 'Big Girls Don't Cry'...
    I seem to recall hearing you can get a better volume or bass response or something in Mono?
    Unless I am playing Jimi Hendrix or something not ever noticed the difference personally.