Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gypsy Wedding

Default Gypsy Wedding

As the title says - I took a booking today for a wedding next Weds 4pm-11pm at a venue I play fairly regularly.

This is a gypsy wedding. The venue manager says he has had them before there.... says all the men sit on one side of the room and women on the other, and some other odd things.

I confess to knowing nothing else about it, I asked for playlist suggestions and first dance song so far..... but not had any info yet, even the B&G names

So I guess this is the place to ask for advice

Rich
    PS missus dicky says don't come home with 'lucky heather", whoever she is or any clothes pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    As the title says - I took a booking today for a wedding next Weds 4pm-11pm at a venue I play fairly regularly.

This is a gypsy wedding. The venue manager says he has had them before there.... says all the men sit on one side of the room and women on the other, and some other odd things.

I confess to knowing nothing else about it, I asked for playlist suggestions and first dance song so far..... but not had any info yet, even the B&G names

So I guess this is the place to ask for advice

Rich
    PS missus dicky says don't come home with 'lucky heather", whoever she is or any clothes pegs.
    Never done one Rich, but I hear they can go one of 2 ways. Monumentally amazing, or completely not.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Never done one Rich, but I hear they can go one of 2 ways. Monumentally amazing, or completely not.
    They can be " interesting ".

Light reading.

Not quite so light.

Post #9 in particular

Take a roadie, towels and waterproofs ( for the gear mainly ). Be prepared to cut most songs after thirty seconds, run Karaoke, and play popular songs at least seven times in the night.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

They can be rather "odd". To be honest as the venue manager has "had them before" then it should be fine. Can be really fun and up for it crowds with no trouble (like the couple I've done).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    To be honest as the venue manager has "had them before" then it should be fine. .
    Although if they are actually Gypsys, the guest list tends to be a free for all which is why they are so secretive, so there is no control on the guests who turn up (i.e. may be someone they did not want to invite). Basically it may be the same people organising it but the guests may differ, causing problems.

i have not done one and don't really want to because of the risk factor, but I bet that 9/10 are blinding and a good laugh, but its certainly not a market i would ever be proficient in, especially having to cut and change the music and play the same tracks multiple times and possibly dealing with abusive clients. I have been told that making friends with the matriarch/patriarch is key at these events as they have final say, so if you get a problem they will help you out, but I am probably generalising.

I think having an assistant and barricading yourself in is probably a good safe guard as i have heard a lot of stories of people (usually the kids) running riot around the gear. I would possibly have a booth and then also a screen to help with the distance.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Having read this I have decided to take my sometimes roadie sometimes fellow DJ along with me.

I do have a booth screen but my mate also has an IP65 LED Blidner that can be put on the floor right across the front of the booth and angled upwards! Maybe that would be a good idea......

Does anyone know of any odd customs at this sort of wedding or is it the usual 1st dfance, cut the cake sort of thing?

Mrs Dicky said something about the B&G urinating in a bucket, to put it politely....

Having read this I have decided to take my sometimes roadie sometimes fellow DJ along with me.

I do have a booth screen but my mate also has an IP65 LED Blidner that can be put on the floor right across the front of the booth and angled upwards! Maybe that would be a good idea......

Does anyone know of any odd customs at this sort of wedding or is it the usual 1st dfance, cut the cake sort of thing?

Mrs Dicky said something about the B&G urinating in a bucket, to put it politely....
    In contrast to when a lot of people getting wed... After paying for it all they haven't to a pot to ... in.

Does anyone know of any odd customs at this sort of wedding or is it the usual 1st dance, cut the cake sort of thing?
    No. More likely to be plural, and there's a joke about this I won't repeat.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Although if they are actually Gypsys, the guest list tends to be a free for all which is why they are so secretive, so there is no control on the guests who turn up (i.e. may be someone they did not want to invite). Basically it may be the same people organising it but the guests may differ, causing problems.

i have not done one and don't really want to because of the risk factor, but I bet that 9/10 are blinding and a good laugh, but its certainly not a market i would ever be proficient in, especially having to cut and change the music and play the same tracks multiple times and possibly dealing with abusive clients. I have been told that making friends with the matriarch/patriarch is key at these events as they have final say, so if you get a problem they will help you out, but I am probably generalising.

I think having an assistant and barricading yourself in is probably a good safe guard as i have heard a lot of stories of people (usually the kids) running riot around the gear. I would possibly have a booth and then also a screen to help with the distance.
    You haven't done one but seem to have it all nailed down Toby........
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    You haven't done one but seem to have it all nailed down Toby........
    Similar to lots of other subjects then...